Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 14, 2008, 11:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Programming

Hey guys, just wondering where people learned how to code and write programs. I want to learn it.. one just for the "fun" of it.. and i also want to see if i can do anything for my dads company.. Are there websites that teach you? what else is there?
Old November 14, 2008, 11:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

I'll say this.

Unless you have a purpose to learn.. it'll mostly be in Vain.

I've learned Pascal, C, C++, MySQL, and PHP amongst a few others.. and 99% of it I have not used and don't retain because of this.

Otherwise setup a LAMP system and just play around and get frusterated :D
Old November 15, 2008, 10:47 PM
Allstar

Ive done two semesters of IT studies. It deosnt matter what language you learn. If you learn how to create flow charts of the 5 structures, and learn how to make them all string togetherlogically and the program flow chart works, you tahn move over to a pseudocode stage. Learning multiples is kinda vain to:P Because all languages compile down to binary anyway LoL. What I learned was that anyone can code, but very few can code above spaghetti code also. It takes logic, logic, and a little more logic:P Anyhoo, buy this book if you can get it
Programming Logic and Design 3rd edition by Joyce farrell.
After that, writing code is basically just looking up the syntax of any given language and replacing flow chart symbols with it.
Oh, and do learn Java 5 coz its got less coding than c and deos the samde thing.
Old November 16, 2008, 08:05 AM
MVP

Yes, learning a specific language is useless if you have no real idea or need. However, learning the structure and pseudocode will help you since most languages all follow the same basic principles (only the syntax vary from language to language). Not everyone will be able to grasp this easily and that's why a good programmer is very rare.

I'm graduated as a Programmer/Analyst myself so I know what it take to learn the basics. I learned Cobol, C/C++, VB and Assembler at college but learned JavaScript all by myself when coding for a script (very easy to pick since JS is similar to VB). Right now, I started looking at VB.net code and picking things up with the different syntax and functions.

Proud to be [H]ard !
Old November 16, 2008, 09:28 AM
Allstar

Yup, Ive thought of scanning all my college notes here for all your geek pleasures, but, unless you knpw what your gonna create, its Kinda pointless. Like, what sorts are you gonna use? And, are you gonna merge files? Make a lttle database engine for all your MP3 storage? That would be neat. Or a catalogue of all your discs.
Old November 16, 2008, 09:40 AM
Rookie

I started learning to program using RUBY. easy to learn (well, just as easy as C++ ) seems a little more limited that a 'real' language, but I think it helped me grasp all the concepts and flow control presented in more complex languages. learning C++, VB, now, and prolly some Java in the future.
GPU: BFG GTX 260 OC Memory OCZ Reaper PC8500(2 X 1gb)
Case: Antec 900]
PSU: CoolMax RM-750
Storage: WD 500gb SATA; WD 1tb SATA
Old November 16, 2008, 09:55 AM
Allstar

well, I would actually start off with simple structure stacking. THan move over to the loops, and case, and than last but not least, off-page jumps, or modular programs. Hang tough for a month or two. Im starting my IT studies again while the economy is slouching. Ill have lots of time to post theory and proactice. for 5 bucks a lesson LoL
Old November 16, 2008, 10:00 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Hello world.
Old November 16, 2008, 10:03 AM
Allstar

LoOL
println out ( " Hello World! " );

umm, I trhink we can do a litlte better than that as nOObs
Old November 16, 2008, 03:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

About programming: Programmer Jokes -- what's your best one? - Stack Overflow :D