Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 5, 2007, 01:21 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I'm a big fan of Wireshark for network monitoring, which is something I seem to be doing a lot of lately. Wireshark: Go deep.
Old December 26, 2007, 09:36 PM
Rookie

Default Open Source anyone?

If you are looking for open-source software for any application, check out Open Source Living

Since the community is less then a week old, there are only 131 applications at this time, but I expect it will take off and grow, mostly thanks to Digg.
Old February 23, 2008, 09:25 AM
Banned

Here are a few of the tools I live by personally and professionally (forgive if some have been listed, I was not able to find these prior here):

Crap Cleaner - A very powerful system cleanup utility
GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program (Open Source alternative to Photoshop/Paint Shop Pro/Flash)
TrueCrypt - Open Source Disk Encryption utility
Free AVG - Free version of a very powerful yet low resource usage Anti-Virus utility. Award winning and really a must have for gamers
AUSLogics Disk DeFrag - A decent Disk Defragmenter alternative to the standard built-in one with Windows
HDTune - A free version of the powerful HDD benchmark utility (only able to monitor read speeds as the full version grants access to write benchmarks and a few other tools)

Old March 7, 2008, 01:44 AM
MVP

My System Specs

imgburn is a great free burning app...
Old March 9, 2008, 10:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The 46 Best-ever Freeware Utilities
This has a few ideas in it.
Old April 13, 2008, 10:04 AM
Rookie

A sampling of the free game development apps I know of:

Jolt3D! - is a 3D Game Engine, designed by the start to give the EASIEST possible access to DirectX.

G3D is a commercial-grade C++ 3D engine available as Open Source (BSD License). It is used in commercial games, research papers, military simulators, and university courses. G3D supports real-time rendering, off-line rendering like ray tracing, and general purpose computation on GPUs.

FireStorm is a step-by-step tutorial engine designed for people who don't know how to write a game engine from the ground up. (GPL)

MaPZone is an advanced texturing tool.

FlatRedBall is a 2.5D Game Engine using XNA and .NET technologies. Games using FRB utilize 2-dimensional assets within 3-dimensional space, creating a unique gaming environment that combines tradition with innovation. The FlatRedBall Development Kit (FRBDK) consists of a series of helper applications and core components to empower both seasoned and novice programmers to develop great games.

HGE is an easy to use yet powerful open source hardware accelerated 2D game engine.

I also have an extensive list of freeware and open source games - would they go here or in the gaming section? =)
Old April 13, 2008, 10:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Start a new thread in the Gaming Section, then drop a link to it in here.:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old April 13, 2008, 11:19 AM
Rookie

List posted - or at least the start of a list ;)
Old April 13, 2008, 07:54 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I don't think anybody posted this yet.

7-Zip free compression software.

7-Zip
Old July 19, 2008, 02:49 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Just used JavaRa for the first time, and holy crap did it ever get rid of a lot of useless files and registry entries!!!!

RaProducts - JavaRa documentation

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP