Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 13, 2008, 02:38 PM
Allstar

Default AMD Announces Stream Computing Will Be Mainstream

Currently, AMD has manufactured and sold over 2 million ATI Radeon HD 4000 series of graphics cards and all of which are more than able to take advantage of ATI Stream Technology, but there is a catch. In order to unlock the built-in ATI Stream capabilities one must update their drivers with some new software code that will be part of the upcoming ATI Catalyst 8.12 drivers that will drop roughly a month from today.

More here ...
Legit Reviews - AMD Announces Stream Computing Will Be Mainstream - AMD Kicks Off Stream Technology
Old November 13, 2008, 05:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Can't wait for some competition to nVidia's CUDA platform
Old November 13, 2008, 05:07 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

you mean... further domination of Nvidia? lol. Seriously though, imagine the 4870X2 with Stream processing and it's sideport connection (both eventually/hopefully). That's one dam powerful GPU right there.
Old November 13, 2008, 05:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
you mean... further domination of Nvidia? lol. Seriously though, imagine the 4870X2 with Stream processing and it's sideport connection (both eventually/hopefully). That's one dam powerful GPU right there.
Lolz

As for the 2nd part, I doubt ATi will release a magic driver unlocking the sideport anytime soon
Old November 13, 2008, 05:24 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

But Meta wants.... maybe theyll wait and keep on tweaking it until Nvidia release something that threatens the 4870X2. Then they'll release it, and kick that Nvidia card back down to second place. lol.
Old November 13, 2008, 07:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

about time, I geuss this means I'm going to have to upgrade my 2900 soon, not just yet but soon...
Old November 13, 2008, 07:09 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
about time, I geuss this means I'm going to have to upgrade my 2900 soon, not just yet but soon...
Well, with heating oil prices still up there fairly high it might be a good time to try to pawn it off as a spaceheater... :)

Probably still getting some decent frame rates with it though.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old November 13, 2008, 08:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

yeah, while not quite good enough for max settings on newer games it still pulls its weight quite well. I need to do a massive upgrade soon, probrably start of next year. And yes, it does save me a bit on heating but nothing compared to my laptop
Old November 14, 2008, 11:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Haha, ever since AMD got their senior positions worked out the company has been doing much better. I think AMD is on the right track. Kudos to them. They need it.

Nvidia needs to stop thinking about monolithic processing. I still think that they are doing a great job on the pricing of mainstream market though. This is something that ATI needs to work out.