Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   AMD Announces Stream Computing Will Be Mainstream (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/11779-amd-announces-stream-computing-will-mainstream.html)

yamawho November 13, 2008 02:38 PM

AMD Announces Stream Computing Will Be Mainstream

Currently, AMD has manufactured and sold over 2 million ATI Radeon HD 4000 series of graphics cards and all of which are more than able to take advantage of ATI Stream Technology, but there is a catch. In order to unlock the built-in ATI Stream capabilities one must update their drivers with some new software code that will be part of the upcoming ATI Catalyst 8.12 drivers that will drop roughly a month from today.

More here ...
Legit Reviews - AMD Announces Stream Computing Will Be Mainstream - AMD Kicks Off Stream Technology

Chilly November 13, 2008 05:02 PM

Can't wait for some competition to nVidia's CUDA platform :biggrin:

CMetaphor November 13, 2008 05:07 PM

you mean... further domination of Nvidia? lol. Seriously though, imagine the 4870X2 with Stream processing and it's sideport connection (both eventually/hopefully). That's one dam powerful GPU right there.

Chilly November 13, 2008 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMetaphor (Post 112018)
you mean... further domination of Nvidia? lol. Seriously though, imagine the 4870X2 with Stream processing and it's sideport connection (both eventually/hopefully). That's one dam powerful GPU right there.

Lolz:rofl:

As for the 2nd part, I doubt ATi will release a magic driver unlocking the sideport anytime soon :sad:

CMetaphor November 13, 2008 05:24 PM

But Meta wants.... maybe theyll wait and keep on tweaking it until Nvidia release something that threatens the 4870X2. Then they'll release it, and kick that Nvidia card back down to second place. lol.

muse108dc November 13, 2008 07:00 PM

about time, I geuss this means I'm going to have to upgrade my 2900 soon, not just yet but soon...

sswilson November 13, 2008 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muse108dc (Post 112078)
about time, I geuss this means I'm going to have to upgrade my 2900 soon, not just yet but soon...

Well, with heating oil prices still up there fairly high it might be a good time to try to pawn it off as a spaceheater... :)

Probably still getting some decent frame rates with it though.

muse108dc November 13, 2008 08:04 PM

yeah, while not quite good enough for max settings on newer games it still pulls its weight quite well. I need to do a massive upgrade soon, probrably start of next year. And yes, it does save me a bit on heating but nothing compared to my laptop

bojangles November 14, 2008 11:16 AM

Haha, ever since AMD got their senior positions worked out the company has been doing much better. I think AMD is on the right track. Kudos to them. They need it.

Nvidia needs to stop thinking about monolithic processing. I still think that they are doing a great job on the pricing of mainstream market though. This is something that ATI needs to work out.