Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 13, 2008, 12:15 PM
Rookie

Unhappy Can't Install Vista or XP on my new build

Hey guys,
I have purchased my unit last weekend. It's specification like so:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Quad-
Hard Disk: Western Digital Caviar (WD6400AAKS) 640GB.
Motherboard: Asus P5Q Deluxe Intel P45
Graphic Card: Asus EAH4850 TOP/HTDI/512M ATI Radeon HD 4850 Chipset (680MHz)
Case: Cooler Master Centurion 590 Black ATX Mid Tower
Power Supply: Corsair CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX 12V
DVD Player: Samsung SH-S202J/BEBN IDE Black DVD-Writer
RAM: Mushkin HP2-8500 4GB (2x2GB)

that was based my previous post here

I had a problem before, which is when ever I turn the pc on it showed me an error Message "CPU Tempter error fail! Please click F1 to resume"

So I ignored that because it was installing Windows Vista SP1 normally without Problem.
But when I finished, and I tried to go to Control Panel, I found the folder is empty and I can't open the "update windows" window.

So I formatted the HD and try to install new Windows to fix that problem.
But I always get this message about CPU tempter, and I ignored.
I did that for almost 4 times trying to install windows, and in each time windows
Didnít finish the setup completely, and in each time I format my HD to install it fresh.

After that I got checked the CPU tempter in the BIOS and I found it 80o.
So I stopped playing and disconnect my build parts and found out that I didn't installed the CPU fan properly, it was loose from one side. So I fixed and put everything back, checked the CPU tempter again on the BOIS and it showed 30o,
Which is normal and I didn't get this message error again.
This was first time for me to face this kind of problem.

So what I got from that is I have to check that Iím installing all parts properly and watch any message comes from mother board.

I just want to share this story with you, because I have seen many posts online from people complained about the same problems and they assume it is something else but CPU.

That was part one of my story, which I solve it. Now move to part two which is I can't install XP or Vista at all.

As I mentioned above that I installed Vista SP1 32bit but with missing few components in it like Control Panel.
Any way, when I did that the BOIS setting like so:
1- Configuration SATA as IDE.
2- My HD was SATA 2
3- HD connects as SATA.
4- 2 DVD connects as IDE.
5- Start Boot from IDE: DVD

So, during fixing part one "CPU Tempter" I changed my HD setting from SATA 2 to be SATA 1. When I tried to install XP or Vista, and come to "Main Express Gate SSD Screen", it shows this warring or error message, [express gate is not installed on your system or the installation is incomplete.....]

I don't know what I did to get this message??

After that the DVD start to load Vista SP1 and it finished to the end, but with one error while it was downloading it, but it finished installing. I start using my Vista and enjoy the speed of my CPU with 2G RAM.

And when I need to update my OS, it didnít work, and when I tried to rate my PC to see how is everything is going (which I did it before on my OLD PC and worked fine) it showed an error message. And when I tried to go see featured program (enable/disable) it was empty. Over all, there was many component were missing and obviously the OS wasn't installed properly.

So again and shut off my pc, turned it on, - NO Express Gate Error message Ė and formatted my HD and try to install Vista again when it restart to complete the installation, it shows the Express Gate error message again and it wouldn't finish OS installation to the end and some times shows some file is missing so I need to re-install the OS again. Besides, some times it shows Microsoft Corporation screen, it reboot again by it self and wouldn't finish installation.
All of that happened every time I try to install Vista SP1 pr XP for 2 days which is about 10 times.

According to ASUS mother board manual, SATA should be configured as IDE and at the end of the manual, it says I can do it RAID. :rtfm:
So I start to play around that, by configures SATA as IDE or RAID and as usual my HD connect to the motherboard as SATA and my tow DVDs as IDE. Besides, I changed my HD from SATA 1 to SATA 2 (as it was for the very first time), but the same result.

I have tested all possibilities and tried everything and I followed some guysí tips from other forums, but nothing working. After 2 days almost 12 hours for trying install ANY OS for 10 times, and nothing worked at all, still get the same result ÖÖ(Express gate Error message, installation finishes half way and after it reboot the machine, it shows earthier files are missing or reboot again and gain).

I read online about update BOIS or Disable Express gate feature from the BOIS. I didn't try it yet, but did I succeed installing Vista SP1 for the very first time without showing this message at all???
Besides, how this issue makes a conflict with installing windows???

So what I'm trying to do is:
Get rid of this error message without Disable this feature if this is possible, and install the OS without any problem.

By the way, my OS Vista and XP DVD are working fine because I tested them in another machine.
One last issue, I have 2 x2GB Mushkin ram, but the BOIS read them as 1 x 2GB 1 ram!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll appreciate any advice or help to end my problems that Iím facing for 4 days for now...

Thank you!:help:
Old November 13, 2008, 12:46 PM
MVP

My System Specs

well first of all sounds like u should just clear your cmos b4 u do anything else, then try looking in your bios and make sure that it says the memory correctly. if it does try to install the os again cept with only on stick of ram in the board. oh and your not trying to raid are u?
Old November 13, 2008, 12:51 PM
Banned
F@H

some HDD's have a jumper to force SATA1 mode on them, make sure that it is removed, or is not present at all.
Old November 13, 2008, 01:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

hmm well this belongs in the Troubleshooting section. You are having some wierd issues. Can you run Memtest and check to see if your ram is good?

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old November 13, 2008, 01:59 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Memtest the Ram.
Raise the vCore a bit, sounds like your rig is unstable.
You can disable the Expressgate feature, and re-enable it after the OS installation.
Your Control panel not showing could be resolved with this: Icons are missing from Control Panel, or you cannot start Control Panel, the Welcome Center, or games in Windows Vista
Old November 13, 2008, 02:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Couple things, your system sounds unstable, theres only 2 reasons why an OS won't install properly, or appear to install properly but does not. Something unstable/defective hardware wise OR your CD/DVD is corrupt.

Have you overclocked anything at all? Raised any speeds at all? Unless you know a certain overclock is 100% stable I would never install an OS while overclocked. Reset the CMOS(reset ALL your motherboard BIOS settings to default)Raise the Ram voltage to 2.0-2.1 volts, if your using a Vista SP1 CD, set SATA to raid mode, otherwise set it to IDE. LEAVE EVERYTHING ELSE ALONE AT AUTO. If this fails once again I'd follow 3.0charlies suggestion, Memtest the Ram.

I have a feeling its one of 3 things based on the info you've given us, something set wrong in bios(ram settings, etc), Vista DVD is defective, or Ram's defective.
Old November 13, 2008, 02:32 PM
F@H

My System Specs

One quick question.... did you try it with only one DVD player connected to the IDE port? I've seen some funky things happen to devices connected to the IDE port since we started running SATA HDDs in IDE mode.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP