Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 25, 2008, 09:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Remember that more RAM is used by the prefetch feature if it's available, so it will make your system more responsive.
Old November 25, 2008, 09:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
I upgraded from 4 to 8 and saw a decent speed increase using Vista Business.

I ordered a system w/ 16 GB of RAM (Phenom 9950 BE, 790GX, 16 GB, HD 4830, 640 GB HDD, Vista HP) for a friend, so we'll see how that goes once the parts arrived (NCIX is taking FOREVER to process the damn order). NCIX had 4 GB sticks for $49 each, so my friend said to just max it out.
Only reason you saw or "thought" you felt a difference was due to Vista and superfetch. Take any OS without superfetch like XP or Linux and you'll notice NO difference because from 4 to 8 there is no difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 486 View Post
8GB of RAM makes any application start so snappy...
Also helps with video/photo apps.
Incorrect this won't make much difference in loading apps as applications are written in 32bit and will only take advantage of upto 2gb of memory anyways.
Old November 26, 2008, 06:52 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Only reason you saw or "thought" you felt a difference was due to Vista and superfetch. Take any OS without superfetch like XP or Linux and you'll notice NO difference because from 4 to 8 there is no difference.

Incorrect this won't make much difference in loading apps as applications are written in 32bit and will only take advantage of upto 2gb of memory anyways.
Precisely why you should be running Vista w/ Superfetch, since having extra "unneeded" RAM can actually help performance in a small way, unlike less pro-active old OSes ;)
Corsair HX1000 | Dell 3007WFP & Samsung 204T | 7 Ultimate x64
Old November 27, 2008, 03:45 AM
Top Prospect

Always remember, Vista x64 willa ddress memory in 64bit spaces, that means it can only write out any memory usage in 64bit address spaces. All 32bit applications can only address in 32bit addresses, which means it wastes half the memory.

One of the big issues with the switch from 16 to 32 to 64 is the memory requirement often doubles. 4G of 64bit addresses memory with regards to a 32bit application is 2G free and usable.

This is why you see so many hardcore users go 6 to 8 GB. Not because Vista requires it, but because the transitional stage, To get 2GB free for your game, requires more then 4G on the Vista system. DDR2 memory is cheap as well, so it was an eash choice.

Corsair 600T White
Asus RoG Maximus V Gene
Intel i7-2600K w/Corsair H100
16GB Gskill DDR3 2400MHz
AMD R9 290X
OCZ Revo 3 240GB
OCZ Vertex 3 240GB
WD Velocirapter 600GB
LG DVD burner
LG Bluray Burner
Windows 7x64 Prem
Asus VE24/VE27/VE24
Logitech Z-5450 5.1 speakers
Corsair AX850 Gold PSU
Corsair K90 Keyboard
Old November 27, 2008, 04:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
Always remember, Vista x64 willa ddress memory in 64bit spaces, that means it can only write out any memory usage in 64bit address spaces. All 32bit applications can only address in 32bit addresses, which means it wastes half the memory.

One of the big issues with the switch from 16 to 32 to 64 is the memory requirement often doubles. 4G of 64bit addresses memory with regards to a 32bit application is 2G free and usable.

This is why you see so many hardcore users go 6 to 8 GB. Not because Vista requires it, but because the transitional stage, To get 2GB free for your game, requires more then 4G on the Vista system. DDR2 memory is cheap as well, so it was an eash choice.
Links? Proof? Because what you said made no sense. An application will use around the same(maybe slightly more due to WOW64 overhead) on a 64bit OS as it will on a 32bit OS. While your correct about the 64bit address space, it will only affect applications in minuscule non noticeable amounts.

For example, if I set my HDD to write sectors in 8kb chunks vs the default of 4kb chunks does not mean that I will go from 500GB of usable space to 250GB of usable space.
Old December 19, 2008, 09:13 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
With 8GB of RAM all your apps are in mem already, so when you start it - it does not read it from disk.

Try to run 2 instances (trying different effects) of Photoshop with large file to process on 32-bit Vista (3.5GB max) and 64-bit Vista with 8GB. Please report your experience.
Intel i7-3770
Kingstone HyperX 2 x 8GB
Crucial M4 256GB + 128 GB
Sapphire Radeon HD7970
Nec Multisync LCD2690WUXI
Old January 3, 2009, 12:57 PM
Top Prospect

128GB?!?!?! thats MASSIVE! I don't think there's a server on the planet (apart from super computers) let alone a professional user that could possible require that much memory...
Old January 3, 2009, 06:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by squilliam View Post
128GB?!?!?! thats MASSIVE! I don't think there's a server on the planet (apart from super computers) let alone a professional user that could possible require that much memory...
They said that back in the very old days about 8mb of ram. I think I remember bill gates saying computers will not need more then 8mb of ram(or something like that). Just give us 10 years and we will be at 100 GB of ram in no time.

edit found out the actual quote from Bill.

"Nobody will ever need more than 640KB RAM."

Also in 2005 no one needed more then 2GB of ram. Now I see 2gb the bare minimum

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."

Last edited by belgolas; January 3, 2009 at 06:15 PM.
Old January 3, 2009, 08:26 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by squilliam View Post
Depends on the scope. My Dual Quad will probably get 8 or 16GB alone. A beast like this 24 core Intel: https://www.softlayer.com/order_form...32&ITEM_PRICES[disk0]=19&ITEM_PRICES[server]=1417 Could probably utilize 128GB, depending on what it's doing. RAM cost alone will be MURDER though.

EDIT: Since the URL is broken, here's a TinyURL: Welcome to SoftLayer
Old January 5, 2009, 02:03 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
They said that back in the very old days about 8mb of ram. I think I remember bill gates saying computers will not need more then 8mb of ram(or something like that). Just give us 10 years and we will be at 100 GB of ram in no time.

edit found out the actual quote from Bill.

"Nobody will ever need more than 640KB RAM."

Also in 2005 no one needed more then 2GB of ram. Now I see 2gb the bare minimum
lol, I guess even bill gates is wrong sometimes

and sure, maybe in 10 years we will be using 100GB, but we definitely won't be using vista