Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 3, 2008, 07:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Windows 7 pre-beta ?

Anyone here crazy enough to try this out ?

DailyTech - Microsoft's Windows 7 Pre-Beta Leaked Onto Torrent Sites

Back up - Ebay (Inik1) or Heatware
Old November 3, 2008, 08:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

I am.

I'll setup a Virtual box perhaps.. dunno. We'll see.
Old November 3, 2008, 09:02 AM
Allstar

I've been thinking about it but will probably wait for the beta to come out first. IMO it's kind of pointless to play with the pre-beta.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old November 3, 2008, 10:10 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

What I always liked about different versions of Windows is the ability to use the Classic Windows Theme and style of displaying folders and menu and disabling all the effects, for the best performance. In Windows 7, you can't, you are stuck with their GUI - I hope t hey do change that in the final but I doubt it - considering Windows XP and Vista had this feature in their first beta.
Old November 3, 2008, 10:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKStar View Post
What I always liked about different versions of Windows is the ability to use the Classic Windows Theme and style of displaying folders and menu and disabling all the effects, for the best performance. In Windows 7, you can't, you are stuck with their GUI - I hope t hey do change that in the final but I doubt it - considering Windows XP and Vista had this feature in their first beta.
Part of the reason I dislike Vista so much is the "Classic" isn't classic anymore and if they honestly take that out of Windows 7 then I won't use it at all.
Old November 3, 2008, 10:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Interesting.

Maybe I'll give it a go...
Old November 3, 2008, 11:10 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I have it installed as my 2nd OS...

It's alright but it's not a smooth interface yet. Seems to jerk every now and then probably due to the super beta ATI Catalyst drivers.

The X-Fi kinda installed using Vista drivers w/ compatibility mode but I only get stereo sound with no way of getting 5.1. When I set it to 5.1 I just get virtual surround out of my 2 front speakers.

Seems like I can't get any benchmarks to run (SPi, wPrime, 3DMark06) though which sucks. I'm guessing it's because I'm running the 64bit version but I don't know.
Old November 3, 2008, 01:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Part of the reason I dislike Vista so much is the "Classic" isn't classic anymore and if they honestly take that out of Windows 7 then I won't use it at all.
?? I use VISTA and the classic theme is exactly the same as XP - the only difference is because of Internet Explorer 7, but you get used to it otherwise the desktop, GUI etc is classic windows, maybe with a bit of polishing icons, but hey it's better than no classic at all. You see I don't take too kindly in Windows GGUI (Getting Gayer User Interface) ok maybe some people like it, but I like it classic :D I use windows to WORK and to GAME' so why the hell should I care about the 3D interface and Windows 7 pie-chart interface this is a joke to me. :)
Old November 3, 2008, 03:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
I have it installed as my 2nd OS...

It's alright but it's not a smooth interface yet. Seems to jerk every now and then probably due to the super beta ATI Catalyst drivers.

The X-Fi kinda installed using Vista drivers w/ compatibility mode but I only get stereo sound with no way of getting 5.1. When I set it to 5.1 I just get virtual surround out of my 2 front speakers.

Seems like I can't get any benchmarks to run (SPi, wPrime, 3DMark06) though which sucks. I'm guessing it's because I'm running the 64bit version but I don't know.
I *might* have used the pretask bar copy, jd when it installs does it finally say Windows 7 or is it still using the vista installer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old November 3, 2008, 03:10 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
I *might* have used the pretask bar copy, jd when it installs does it finally say Windows 7 or is it still using the vista installer?
Says Windows 7, boot screen is different too. Though the installer still looks very much like Vista's.

It's build 6801 (the one given out at PDC). Winver is only 6.1 though so it's far from being 7 IMO.