Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   Windows 7 pre-beta ? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/11464-windows-7-pre-beta.html)

Inik November 3, 2008 07:28 AM

Windows 7 pre-beta ?

Anyone here crazy enough to try this out ?

DailyTech - Microsoft's Windows 7 Pre-Beta Leaked Onto Torrent Sites

enaberif November 3, 2008 08:16 AM

I am.

I'll setup a Virtual box perhaps.. dunno. We'll see.

Nodscene November 3, 2008 09:02 AM

I've been thinking about it but will probably wait for the beta to come out first. IMO it's kind of pointless to play with the pre-beta.

DarKStar November 3, 2008 10:10 AM

What I always liked about different versions of Windows is the ability to use the Classic Windows Theme and style of displaying folders and menu and disabling all the effects, for the best performance. In Windows 7, you can't, you are stuck with their GUI - I hope t hey do change that in the final but I doubt it - considering Windows XP and Vista had this feature in their first beta.

enaberif November 3, 2008 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarKStar (Post 107728)
What I always liked about different versions of Windows is the ability to use the Classic Windows Theme and style of displaying folders and menu and disabling all the effects, for the best performance. In Windows 7, you can't, you are stuck with their GUI - I hope t hey do change that in the final but I doubt it - considering Windows XP and Vista had this feature in their first beta.

Part of the reason I dislike Vista so much is the "Classic" isn't classic anymore and if they honestly take that out of Windows 7 then I won't use it at all.

zlojack November 3, 2008 10:32 AM

Interesting.

Maybe I'll give it a go...

JD November 3, 2008 11:10 AM

I have it installed as my 2nd OS...

It's alright but it's not a smooth interface yet. Seems to jerk every now and then probably due to the super beta ATI Catalyst drivers.

The X-Fi kinda installed using Vista drivers w/ compatibility mode but I only get stereo sound with no way of getting 5.1. When I set it to 5.1 I just get virtual surround out of my 2 front speakers.

Seems like I can't get any benchmarks to run (SPi, wPrime, 3DMark06) though which sucks. I'm guessing it's because I'm running the 64bit version but I don't know.

DarKStar November 3, 2008 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 107733)
Part of the reason I dislike Vista so much is the "Classic" isn't classic anymore and if they honestly take that out of Windows 7 then I won't use it at all.

?? I use VISTA and the classic theme is exactly the same as XP - the only difference is because of Internet Explorer 7, but you get used to it otherwise the desktop, GUI etc is classic windows, maybe with a bit of polishing icons, but hey it's better than no classic at all. You see I don't take too kindly in Windows GGUI (Getting Gayer User Interface) ok maybe some people like it, but I like it classic :D I use windows to WORK and to GAME' so why the hell should I care about the 3D interface and Windows 7 pie-chart interface this is a joke to me. :)

Supergrover November 3, 2008 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdrom17 (Post 107752)
I have it installed as my 2nd OS...

It's alright but it's not a smooth interface yet. Seems to jerk every now and then probably due to the super beta ATI Catalyst drivers.

The X-Fi kinda installed using Vista drivers w/ compatibility mode but I only get stereo sound with no way of getting 5.1. When I set it to 5.1 I just get virtual surround out of my 2 front speakers.

Seems like I can't get any benchmarks to run (SPi, wPrime, 3DMark06) though which sucks. I'm guessing it's because I'm running the 64bit version but I don't know.

I *might*:whistle: have used the pretask bar copy, jd when it installs does it finally say Windows 7 or is it still using the vista installer?

JD November 3, 2008 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supergrover (Post 107830)
I *might*:whistle: have used the pretask bar copy, jd when it installs does it finally say Windows 7 or is it still using the vista installer?

Says Windows 7, boot screen is different too. Though the installer still looks very much like Vista's.

It's build 6801 (the one given out at PDC). Winver is only 6.1 though so it's far from being 7 IMO.