F@H

My System Specs

That's kind of cool.
Old November 7, 2008, 10:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
sorry to go offtopic, but games like COD4 do they run any better in Vista than XP, if so I may just try Vista for the hek of it .. But I'm still a die hard XP fan.
For now, my preference for DX9 gaming is in Windows XP SP3. I have no problems at all with DX10 games in VISTA, but on some games DX9 can be slower or have some issues - one example of these is that Kane & Lynch game, in VISTA there was some lagging when you panned across complex scenes, while with the same drivers, in XP ran smooth as silk, with the same settings. Because of the way DX9 works in VISTA, some older games might have issues, unless of course newer games are tested and optimized for both. For now i'd stick to XP for DX9 games.
Old November 7, 2008, 11:51 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I've tried at least a dozen games in both vista and xp and find vista to be 10-30% slower across the board.

Edit: 64 bit vista mind you.
Old November 7, 2008, 03:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
I've tried at least a dozen games in both vista and xp and find vista to be 10-30% slower across the board.

You might find that older DirectSound/DS3D games are slower - Some newer DX9 games with OPENAL support run better, but still there is occasional "lagging" and tearing..... might be drivers not fully optimized yet, but anyways, sine Windows 7 uses the same architecture for DX, it won't be different for DX9 games. One thing that sucks major balls in VISTA is that the color correction controls in the control panel have NO effect in your game!!!, you can set the brightness or gamma way up and the game will look the same - would only work in DX10 games in DX10 mode.
Old November 12, 2008, 06:18 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
Like no screenshots.. c'mon people..
Enjoy :P. Paint's got a new ribbon interface, I don't care for it, as I don't care for the office one either, but it makes paint look like it's a bit more useful (I doubt it'll ever replace paint.net for me).

There's a lot of minor tweaks, it's basically the new shell vista could really use, I can't see any huge underlying OS improvements, mostly interface changes and compatibility stuff.

Network wise the concept of home-groups and libraries has been brought in, it's ...interesting, but it's for "My Documents" users. If you're like me and you generally use a workstation for yourself and only yourself, you tend not to bother with this crap. I can see it being awesome for an HTPC setup though.

It runs surprisingly stable, I was playing left4dead without issues last night... I think my desktop had more issues actually. (Desktop runs XP 32bit, likely a driver issue, been using nvidia beta drivers for a month, haven't got around to updating).

Oh, and if you were a Vista hater (for whatever reason you choose), you're not going to like Windows 7 either. Nice little interface, a few new user items here and there, likely another version of DirectX that is "unavailable" on the previous OS.
Attached Images

Last edited by Naish; November 12, 2008 at 06:24 AM.
Old November 12, 2008, 08:43 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naish View Post
Oh, and if you were a Vista hater (for whatever reason you choose), you're not going to like Windows 7 either. Nice little interface, a few new user items here and there, likely another version of DirectX that is "unavailable" on the previous OS.
Actually its already been confirmed MANY times that dx11 will be for win7 AND vista. Anyways i have it installed atm in vmware and it makes me want to hook up my ide drive again to run it normally in a dualboot.

Btw would anyone say its stable enough to use as a main os? Not for the average user of course but im just wondering if its stable enough to do most things, mainly just web browsing and a little bit of gaming. And do the vista drivers work on win7?
Mobo: ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe
Memory: 4gb OCZ Platinum 1000mhz ddr2
Graphics: 2x Sapphire 4830s in Crossfire
Keyboard: Logitech G11
Mouse: Logitech G9
HD:WD 640gb Caviar Black + 750gb Seagate
#hardwarecanucks on irc.enterthegame.com
Old November 12, 2008, 09:23 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonwall View Post
Actually its already been confirmed MANY times that dx11 will be for win7 AND vista. Anyways i have it installed atm in vmware and it makes me want to hook up my ide drive again to run it normally in a dualboot.

Btw would anyone say its stable enough to use as a main os? Not for the average user of course but im just wondering if its stable enough to do most things, mainly just web browsing and a little bit of gaming. And do the vista drivers work on win7?
See that's why I used the word likely, I wasn't sure, my bad :). It's pretty damn stable. I started using it yesterday, it's on my laptop for school stuff. The only thing I had trouble with was daemon tools, and that's not a big issue(that driver thing it uses doesn't support it). Office works fine on it, steam games seem to work fine on it, Nvidia's actually got drivers out for it. Yes, Vista drivers work on Win7 (atleast my Asus G1S ones did, the ones I got from Windows Update worked fine, but I installed the touchpad driver and asus hotkey utilities without issue). I haven't got much else for games to try it on right now, but it basically works as well as Vista SP1.

If you've got a recent game or two you'd recommend I can throw it on there and give it a shot.
Old November 12, 2008, 09:46 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naish View Post
See that's why I used the word likely, I wasn't sure, my bad :). It's pretty damn stable. I started using it yesterday, it's on my laptop for school stuff. The only thing I had trouble with was daemon tools, and that's not a big issue(that driver thing it uses doesn't support it). Office works fine on it, steam games seem to work fine on it, Nvidia's actually got drivers out for it. Yes, Vista drivers work on Win7 (atleast my Asus G1S ones did, the ones I got from Windows Update worked fine, but I installed the touchpad driver and asus hotkey utilities without issue). I haven't got much else for games to try it on right now, but it basically works as well as Vista SP1.

If you've got a recent game or two you'd recommend I can throw it on there and give it a shot.
Alright thanks, i was reading something somewhere apparently anything that works with vista "should" work with win 7 as its basically vista anyways. When i installed it in vmware it called it vista and installed all the tools with no issue so i think i should be fine :D Really dont feel like putting my ide drive in because i have to take my 9800 out to do it and it takes forever to get it in properly for some reason. Guell ill finish backing up and install it then post back with my results
Old November 12, 2008, 02:02 PM
Allstar
F@H

Got it installed, seems to be working great, i only have one issue. I got a cheap webcam from japan that worked in windows vista x64 but when i go to install it with the cd it says "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)" i got an error about it being an unsigned driver so i used the command that disables the check in vista and it still wont work.
Old November 12, 2008, 02:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post

Not me. Most are about the same speed and a small few are faster. Like WiC for some reason is faster for me in Vista.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."