Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 4, 2008, 02:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have been a llllllllllooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnggggggg time user of XP and recently made the change to Vista because of people and friends telling me how stable it is. I am loving Vista. I too tried vista when it launched and hated it. But I heard Vista was getting it's second service pack and for XP it started to be good at around that time too so I decided why not. I am loving it so much. It feels faster then XP, boots faster then XP, looks WAY better then XP, runs as stable as XP, And best of all has DX10. I love eyecandy and always could use more! So the few dozen DX10 games I played I really enjoyed the "unlocked" features. Most games it doesn't make a whole lot of a difference but there are games like World in Conflict that game a lot of extra visual features. For some reason WiC runs FASTER on Vista then XP and has all the DX10 bells and whistles enabled.

I just have to repeat. I love Vista and was hardcore against it when it launched and said I would never run it but it has mutured.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old November 4, 2008, 04:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

To be honest, I use both XP and VISTA and i'm very happy with VISTA, it works just fine for me - I use VISTA mostly for DX10 gaming - and I will not be spending any money on Windows 7 unless DX11 games start falling from the sky :D
Old November 4, 2008, 05:55 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Are you guys sure DX11 is shipping with Windows 7? I thought I heard it was only shipping with DX10.1 and DX11 would come as an upgrade down the road.

I see no point in them pushing out DX11 when nobody has adopted DX10 yet. And the few games that have, I doubt they use the full potential since DX9 games look pretty much the same IMO.
Old November 4, 2008, 06:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well I can see how DX11 will appeal to game developers, as it will add new computer shader technology and open the doors to games and applications making use of the GPU, I think this will become a trend and is good news - Can make games far more realistic, who knows, better physics, better AI, etc.

It will be available for both VISTA and Windows 7 - the version you have now currently is 10.1. DX11 will also add new features to your DX10 hardware as well. So if all goes well, maybe game companies will jump straight to 11 - of course games will still be compatible to existing DX10 hardware and STILL look quite good.

Eventhough DXDIAG reports it as version 10, you SHOULD have D3D10_1 files (those are the DX 10.1 ). There is no NVIDIA hardware yet that supports this.
Old November 4, 2008, 07:14 PM
Allstar
F@H

Ya dx 10 wasnt a big jump at all in performance and gave no companies incentive to actually implement it, dx 11 is supposed to be a big leap in features and performance so expect there to be alot more dx11 games alot faster than it happened with dx10.
Mobo: ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe
Memory: 4gb OCZ Platinum 1000mhz ddr2
Graphics: 2x Sapphire 4830s in Crossfire
Keyboard: Logitech G11
Mouse: Logitech G9
HD:WD 640gb Caviar Black + 750gb Seagate
#hardwarecanucks on irc.enterthegame.com
Old November 4, 2008, 07:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonwall View Post
Ya dx 10 wasnt a big jump at all in performance and gave no companies incentive to actually implement it, dx 11 is supposed to be a big leap in features and performance so expect there to be alot more dx11 games alot faster than it happened with dx10.
Well I still remember back then, graphics card manufacturers would release new cards with the new DX versions EARLY on with many games supporting it - With DX10 it was the opposite - so - given game development timeframe which is usually 2 to 3 years or more, you won't see DX11 exclusive games for many years to come, and since DX11 is VISTA and 7 specific only, no XP support, and until people have made the switch from XP, I don't expect game developers to go that route yet - If DX10 was an XP feature as well, you would have seen much more DX10 games... One thing with DX11's tesselation feature is that you will be able to get near pre-rendered quality cinemaics in real time - that means for game developers, the ability to use the engine for cut scenes and cinematics that once required long rendering times and more resources...... Question remains, when are we going to start seeing DX11 enabled cards - from what I know they are being worked let's just leave it at that, but can't wait to see how much these new cards will cost - initial versions might require triple slot cooling and a 747 turbine
Old November 6, 2008, 11:51 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Gonna install it now.

Crosses fingers.
Old November 6, 2008, 12:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

I hope everyone realizes this is an Alpha meaning pretty much anything you like will be gone final product.

Anyone remember Longhorn and WinFS?
Old November 6, 2008, 12:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

enaberif, you really have a powerful hate, don't you?
Old November 6, 2008, 01:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlojack View Post
enaberif, you really have a powerful hate, don't you?
You have no idea.