Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   Making icons in ubuntu (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/11457-making-icons-ubuntu.html)

biff November 2, 2008 09:44 PM

Making icons in ubuntu

How do I make icons in ubuntu? Right now I'd like icons for file manager and boinc. I cant open the file manager unless I put in a disk (either a CD or USB drive) and wait for it to show up on the desk top then double click it, also I don't see it in any of the menus.

Second, I managed to move the boinc folder to a location where I wanted it - oddly that hasn't affected it running. I made a link to the boinkmgr file then dragged it to the desktop but it doesn't work. It does open up the boinc manager but it shows nothing, no tasks, but they are definitely there and working. Double clicking boincmgr in file manager also brings up the boinc manager and it does show the tasks properly.

What gives?

I googled it and found tons of threads on making icons... but making icon art not making functional icons so apparently it's not a problem others have.

enaberif November 2, 2008 10:02 PM

Eyecandy for your GNOME-Desktop - GNOME-Look.org

biff November 3, 2008 11:05 AM

Thanks for the response but that looks like it only talks about the little pictures for the icons rather than making then do anything, which is what I'm having trouble with.

Unless I'm missing something....

paphman910 November 3, 2008 12:37 PM

I think you are referring to shortcuts.

Have a look at this link:
Make a shortcut at desktop(enlightment) - Ubuntu Forums

Paphman910

enaberif November 3, 2008 02:10 PM

no I know what you mean..

I think..

Do you want to create a shortcut? Or do you actually want to make a icon graphic for an object?

biff November 3, 2008 03:10 PM

Apparently I meant shortcuts. LOL that might make finding help a little easier also explains why I kept finding search results that show how to make the graphic.

Sorry,
my bad

enaberif November 3, 2008 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biff (Post 107833)
Apparently I meant shortcuts. LOL that might make finding help a little easier also explains why I kept finding search results that show how to make the graphic.

Sorry,
my bad

right click desktop choose -> Create Launcher

biff January 8, 2009 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 107837)
right click desktop choose -> Create Launcher

This is what I did before and I made the shortcut OK, and it does open Boinc manager, but all information is blank.... no projects, no tasks, no nothing. When I go to Place - Home Folder - blah blah - work my way to the Boinc folder and double click boincmgr everything works just fine.

enaberif January 8, 2009 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biff (Post 136059)
This is what I did before and I made the shortcut OK, and it does open Boinc manager, but all information is blank.... no projects, no tasks, no nothing. When I go to Place - Home Folder - blah blah - work my way to the Boinc folder and double click boincmgr everything works just fine.

How did you setup the boinc software? That will play a key role in how it works for your shortcuts.

biff January 8, 2009 05:54 PM

I don't think I had any choice in 'how' to install it. When I DL'ed it was in a compressed format - can't remember which format. I followed some guide on how to uncompress the file and it installed and started crunching.