Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 30, 2008, 07:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
If you do decide to get rid of Norton I advise you to check the running process after you uninstall it. Look and see if it left any thing running in the background, I have uninstalled Norton on someone's PC before and it still had something going in the background after reboot. I remember I found a tool on Norton's site that allows full removal of it, try a search on Google. Recommend that you download the tool in case you need it, uninstall Norton, reboot, run tool, then install new anti virus.
Thanks for the tip TopDog, that was exactly what I had been thinking about here this evening, is what crap is going to be left behind!!! I know that my Start-up in MSConfig has a number of items that are running and I'm hoping they will dissapear after an uninstall...
Anyhow, I have downloaded and ran Spybot SD, found a few cookies and advised that my Windows Firewall is "off" (don't leave it on while I have Antivirus running ((Norton)) )...thats about it so far, still haven't taken the plunge, its like a 3 yr old giving up a soother..hahahahah

Old October 30, 2008, 09:28 PM
MVP

Norton is hilariously bad IMO. There is a norton removal tool you can download off their website for free and it will completly remove it as far as I know.

If your loooking for something free, I would say AVG 8.0, however I have noticed it to be becoming a little fat compared to the old 7.5 If you want something to pay for Nod32 is the best IMO.

Personally I run CCleaner, Malwarebytes and A-Squared once a month and I've never had a virus on this system.
Old October 30, 2008, 09:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thnkas guys for all the info....I uninstalled Norton...kaput..goodbye! Installed Spybot and AVG 8.0.

Cheers

Old October 30, 2008, 10:15 PM
Allstar

Kaspersky or NOD ... My personal preference is Kaspersky since version 8 came out, but both of them are top notch.
Old October 30, 2008, 10:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

All you need.

Super Antispyware
Codestuff Startup
Avast/AVG
Comodo

I personally only use Super Antispyware if I think I have a problem otherwise I don't run anything.
Old October 31, 2008, 12:36 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Sped up my Boot time by almost 15 seconds.....Also, installed and ran CCleaner & Defraggler....

Old October 31, 2008, 12:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thnaks folks for the help!

Old October 31, 2008, 02:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Spybot S&D misses a LOT of spyware - its detection rate is not all that good. AdAware 2008 detects more and removes better - Spyware Doctor & Spy Sweeper are top notch, but you have to pay for it. I've had AdAware 2008 remove things that Spybot S&D did not even see..... one example was that w32.sillyban and another very hard to remove.
Old October 31, 2008, 04:41 PM
Allstar

Spy bot is SPYWARE LoL. It is the worst peice of crap spaghetti code i have ever seen ( Cept for my first Java Lab ) Hell, I can do better than spybot by manually editing and cleaning up my own registry. Mind you, ive gotten so carefull online, that I havent had to do that since Win2K.
Oh yea, Adware is from the same group, actually, most of them are from the same code base. What one wont detect, they all wont. Ive tried them all. All part of being a net admin at one time. Be familiar with your environment and outside your DMZ. And last, but the most important,learn the registry keys so well, that you can just scan the reg and notice oddities. When you do, nuke them out. No software can run with registry keys missing. Better than any AV program out there.
Old October 31, 2008, 04:47 PM
F@H

My System Specs

There are two programs out there... Spybot Search and Destroy to my knowledge is still a decent anti-spyware program. Unfortunately there was at least one program out there running heavy google tweaking (to get the top search spots) which was not only spyware, but to add insult to injury was also a pay program.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP