Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 30, 2008, 03:04 PM
Top Prospect

I'm using Avast and it work just fine ...

AthlonX2 4600+ @ 3.0Ghz (tweaked by Ebdoradz) | Gigabyte MA790X-DS4 | 2x1GB Mushkin HP PC2-6400 @ 860Mhz | Silverstone Strider 500W PSU | Palit Radeon HD 3850 @ 720Mhz/1.76Ghz on 22" Acer X223w monitor | Thermaltake SopranoRS 101 | 1 x Seagate 250GB
Old October 30, 2008, 03:16 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm not using any anti-virus right now...

Be smart and browse safe. Stay off those random pr0n sites and you'll be fine

I did use NOD32 before though but it started acting funny. Never bothered trying to reinstall it yet though.
Old October 30, 2008, 03:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
AVG is much better than Norton...BUT, Nod32 is much better than AVG. ;)
QFT

I used to be a AVG guy for years, havnt tried norton since 02, but I have to agree NOD32 is better than AVG. I use nod32 on 2 rigs avg on the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old October 30, 2008, 03:55 PM
Top Prospect

AVAST! is a better program then AVG.
Old October 30, 2008, 04:33 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Using Avast for a few years now, with no problems. As for Norton, keep it as far away from your computer as possible it is a virus in and of itself. I have fixed family and friends computers over the years that have had (not any more ) Norton and found it the be a resource hog and a royal pain in the .
Old October 30, 2008, 04:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thnkas guys for all the replies!!! I have been using Norton for all these years and haven't found it a "Resource Hog", as my last two PC's have been relatively fast..lots of Memory etc...so that hasn't been the issue. The issue is whether Norton is missing stuff that both AGV and Spybot are nailing..
So, would it be safe to day I should uninstall Norton and go with:
1. AGV or Avast
2. Spybot

Would that about cover it? A list of Downloadable applications covering all avenues would be very much appreciated...like a summary!

Thanks again guys!

Old October 30, 2008, 05:10 PM
F@H

My System Specs

A combo of AVG and Spybot is what I install on all the machines I build. And if you use your machine with Norton everyday, you'll be surprised at how much quicker it boots and loads programs once it's gone. The boss bought 2 identical machines for work, 1 for me and 1 for the boss's wife who does the accounting. She put Norton 360 on hers and it now takes 30 seconds longer to boot, and 15-20 seconds longer to open Outlook.
Old October 30, 2008, 05:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

actually... avira (that i used) is the best and simple... something like configure and forget it like diskeeper... it will do for you (you will notice different preference between and vista and xp...)

http://www.anti-malware-test.com/?q=taxonomy/term/5
Virus Bulletin : News - AV-test.org issues latest figures (note that some 2009 products is not out yet)

and i recommend you to forget anti-spyware programs such as spybot, spydoctor, etc... i mean suite works very well... (just you need to install spyware blaster and PG2)
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.
Old October 30, 2008, 05:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Up until recently AVG's malware was a separate program, thus its AV prog sucked @ malware :)~
I'm leery of these 100% in the wild claims, I've seen a couple of these for dif programs and IMHO nothing catches everything. Any site that tells you differently is trying to sell you something. (Nothing against Avira, Darkstar just never used it. Sooo I may be wrong, and I'm not taking a cheap shot at your either! )
Wrong - you are not interpreting it correctly that's why - Nothing catches 100%, however, the 100% claim is for KNOWN viruses / in the wild - the have testing systems for that - some of the virus scanner can even go beyond what exists and detect new variants or new viruses using heuristics. Not ALL the software get a 100% claims. Now let's forget about the percentage, this misleads people - look at avcomparative it gives NUMBERS - total viruses detection in its database, total number of trojans, total number of spyware, etc........ Some of the software miss on a lot of known and common viruses out there, while others detect all known viruses out there. No software can detect EVERY threat, but a good software should remain current on the viral threats. If a software cannot detect a virus that's been out 2 years ago, like I've seen before, then there is a problem somewhere. Take F-PROT as an example among many, that miss on some old viruses. When you interpret the 100% scores, it doesn't mean it detects 100% of viruses 100% of the time - it means for a GIVEN MONTH it deteects 100% of known viruses - Always check the reviews on a monthly basis - as one month it can PASS and another month it can FAIL - Some software h ave more FAILS than passes unfortunately, those I avoid.
Old October 30, 2008, 05:48 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

If you do decide to get rid of Norton I advise you to check the running process after you uninstall it. Look and see if it left any thing running in the background, I have uninstalled Norton on someone's PC before and it still had something going in the background after reboot. I remember I found a tool on Norton's site that allows full removal of it, try a search on Google. Recommend that you download the tool in case you need it, uninstall Norton, reboot, run tool, then install new anti virus.