Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   64 bit necessary with a dual core? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/11257-64-bit-necessary-dual-core.html)

D4ng3r October 27, 2008 07:08 PM

64 bit necessary with a dual core?

I have the option to get a performance-modded (all unnecessary proccesses stopped, or something to that effect) xp 32 bit, or I can wait an extra two or so weeks for a regular 64bit xp. I am getting an e7200 in the new rig I am building, as well as probably in the next 6 months upgrading from 2 gigs of ram to 4 gigs.

What do you think? Primarily gaming rig. Should I go for the 64 bit, even if it will take a bit longer? Is it worth the wait? Does xp really work well in 64 bit? Are there different drivers I will need, and are they hard to find? Will I be loosing that ~500mb if I go 32bit (3.5gigs showing), and will that make a HUGE difference?

Looking for future-proof-ish ideas.

Thanks guys :)

misterlarry October 27, 2008 09:52 PM

Welcome to HWC D4ng3r! When I built my rig back in May of this year, I bought XP 64 bit because I wasn't sure what Viata was like at that time and I figured that software would eventually start really making use of a 64 bit OS. I'm just about to go to 8 GB of ram, so I don't know yet if there is a true advantage at this time.

I've always had the Binford 9000 (Home Improvements) state of mind though and figure that the more ram, horsepower, torque, balls, guts, etc. the better.

I really haven't had too many problems with XP 64. It won't play some older games (Sacred & Brothers in Arms), and you can't currently use Dragon "Naturally Speaking" (voice recognition software). Other than that XP 64 has worked flawlessly for me, but that is only my experience. Keep listening on the board here and I'm sure that you will get some qualified opinions.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

1Tanker October 28, 2008 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D4ng3r (Post 105458)
I have the option to get a performance-modded (all unnecessary proccesses stopped, or something to that effect) xp 32 bit, or I can wait an extra two or so weeks for a regular 64bit xp. I am getting an e7200 in the new rig I am building, as well as probably in the next 6 months upgrading from 2 gigs of ram to 4 gigs.

What do you think? Primarily gaming rig. Should I go for the 64 bit, even if it will take a bit longer? Is it worth the wait? Does xp really work well in 64 bit? Are there different drivers I will need, and are they hard to find? Will I be loosing that ~500mb if I go 32bit (3.5gigs showing), and will that make a HUGE difference?

Looking for future-proof-ish ideas.

Thanks guys :)

Either go with XP-32 or Vista-64. Although i don't have XP-64, i've read nothing but bad reviews/problems with it...especially compared to Vista-64. The ~500MB lost to a 32bit OS won't have much negative affect. If you're going for future-proof, you might as well go Vista Home Premium. GL :biggrin:

enaberif October 28, 2008 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Tanker (Post 105537)
Either go with XP-32 or Vista-64. Although i don't have XP-64, i've read nothing but bad reviews/problems with it...especially compared to Vista-64. The ~500MB lost to a 32bit OS won't have much negative affect. If you're going for future-proof, you might as well go Vista Home Premium. GL :biggrin:

XP 64 is perfectly fine. Most reviews are very biased and misguided. I run XP 64 and its perfectly fine.

But no you do not need a 64bit OS to use most cpus

1Tanker October 28, 2008 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 105539)
XP 64 is perfectly fine. Most reviews are very biased and misguided. I run XP 64 and its perfectly fine.

But no you do not need a 64bit OS to use most cpus

Which OS would you suggest he get? :blarg:

enaberif October 28, 2008 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Tanker (Post 105547)
Which OS would you suggest he get? :blarg:

Do you need to ask that? Everyone knows where I stand around here :rofl:

Tazer-[X] October 28, 2008 11:39 AM

To use the extra power of core 2 64 bit cpu, use a UNIX OS LoL ....
Or Vista 64

enaberif October 28, 2008 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazer-[X] (Post 105657)
To use the extra power of core 2 64 bit cpu, use a UNIX OS LoL ....
Or Vista 64

Or XP 64

Jonwall October 28, 2008 12:45 PM

Vista 64 hands down, the porformance versions of xp give you like 5% more fps in games if that and seriously degrade the os experience outside of gaming. With that kind of a rig vista should be what you go with anyways trust me, it takes some adjusting but once you get used to it xp seems like crap. My main hdd died awhile age so i installed xp again just for fun, i had more crashes in 3 days than i had in vista in over a year. NEedless to say i uninstalled it and installed the far more stable and reliable vista x64.

1Tanker October 28, 2008 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonwall (Post 105680)
Vista 64 hands down, the porformance versions of xp give you like 5% more fps in games if that and seriously degrade the os experience outside of gaming. With that kind of a rig vista should be what you go with anyways trust me, it takes some adjusting but once you get used to it xp seems like crap. My main hdd died awhile age so i installed xp again just for fun, i had more crashes in 3 days than i had in vista in over a year. NEedless to say i uninstalled it and installed the far more stable and reliable vista x64.

I never get crashes/BSODs in XP-Pro...unless it's from very over-zealous overclocking. :whistle: