Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 8, 2008, 12:53 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I don't know if you guys are aware of this but there are video cards on the market with 1GB of vRAM and even 2GB, though the 2GB ones will only read as 1GB cards for the OS because it's not shared memory. With little calculus skills, you can substract 1 from 4 and and see that a Radeon 4870X2 would actually bump half of one of your two sticks of RAM.

I don't know if there will be cards with even more vRAM on the market in the next year but for now you will not get all your "worth" of RAM. Just something to remember when buying high end video cards and getting all wet about running this kind of stuff on a 32bit OS.

Last edited by kiwik; December 8, 2008 at 01:12 AM.
Old December 8, 2008, 04:52 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwik View Post
I don't know if you guys are aware of this but there are video cards on the market with 1GB of vRAM and even 2GB, though the 2GB ones will only read as 1GB cards for the OS because it's not shared memory. With little calculus skills, you can substract 1 from 4 and and see that a Radeon 4870X2 would actually bump half of one of your two sticks of RAM.

I don't know if there will be cards with even more vRAM on the market in the next year but for now you will not get all your "worth" of RAM. Just something to remember when buying high end video cards and getting all wet about running this kind of stuff on a 32bit OS.
Very good point, kiwik. Cards are only going to come with more memory in the future too.
Old December 8, 2008, 09:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

I want someone with a large video card like a 4870x2 or a card that has 1gb of memory and put it into a 32bit OS with 4gb of memory and report back on memory usage.

We keep hearing this but now I'm curious of what the actual usage would be.
Old December 8, 2008, 10:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I want someone with a large video card like a 4870x2 or a card that has 1gb of memory and put it into a 32bit OS with 4gb of memory and report back on memory usage.

If people want me to try this, I'll do it. I've got dual 4870X2 and 8GB of ram, would be interesting to see what XP sees.
Old December 8, 2008, 10:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
If people want me to try this, I'll do it. I've got dual 4870X2 and 8GB of ram, would be interesting to see what XP sees.
You would have to do it with 4gb of memory not 8 because we know what XP 32bit would do with the 8gb.
Old December 8, 2008, 11:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
You would have to do it with 4gb of memory not 8 because we know what XP 32bit would do with the 8gb.
And that would be? I know that XP would only be able to detect 4GB of the 8GB, I don't see the need to take the ram out unless there is some massive problem that will be caused by me leaving it in.

Only reason I say this is because its hard to get to it(the ram) due to my cable management. I'm all ears, if I do this I want to it properly.
Old December 8, 2008, 11:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

Well thats why I'm saying it has to be done with only 4gb because thats the argument. That with 4gb of memory in a 32bit environment you'll end up with a lot less with the larger video cards.

I know that it'll only recognize 4gb of the 8gb but I'd like the system to only have 4gb. I also suggest creating a new thread for this.. as it will help with search queries.
Old December 8, 2008, 11:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Well thats why I'm saying it has to be done with only 4gb because thats the argument. That with 4gb of memory in a 32bit environment you'll end up with a lot less with the larger video cards.

I know that it'll only recognize 4gb of the 8gb but I'd like the system to only have 4gb. I also suggest creating a new thread for this.. as it will help with search queries.
Bah humbug. Fine, I'll take the ram out. I'm working on a few important documents, but I should be able to start this "experiment" in an hour or so.
Old December 8, 2008, 01:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:

This isn't something I've studied in-depth, but fwiw, I'm running XP Pro with a pair of 2GB sticks and a GTX280. Task Manager reports a total of 3.40GB, with 2.95GB available.
Old December 8, 2008, 10:48 PM
MVP

x64.

I have no idea how people can still be recommending x86.

4 GB of RAM has pretty much become standard, which already outdates x86.

6 GB is already looking to be the higher end standard for i7.

x86 is dead for all but those still clinging to XP, & even there, it's only a matter of time before they must switch to Vista x64 or 7 x64
Corsair HX1000 | Dell 3007WFP & Samsung 204T | 7 Ultimate x64