Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 10, 2008, 11:32 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
F@H

I was worried about moving to Vista x64, but I have yet to run into any driver or application issues. It has come a long way over the last year or so. If you are doing a new build with 4 gigs of ram, go for it. If you are buying the retail version of the OS, you can install either or. If you are buying OEM version, it makes more sense to go for 64 bit since you are only licensed for only one or the other. I didn't notice any performance difference (good or bad) between 32 and 64 bit.
Old November 10, 2008, 11:58 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlime View Post
I was worried about moving to Vista x64, but I have yet to run into any driver or application issues. It has come a long way over the last year or so. If you are doing a new build with 4 gigs of ram, go for it. If you are buying the retail version of the OS, you can install either or. If you are buying OEM version, it makes more sense to go for 64 bit since you are only licensed for only one or the other. I didn't notice any performance difference (good or bad) between 32 and 64 bit.
thats the one i have RETAIL cost a bomb . one main reason i went to 64bit is that stalker clearsky uses all of the 4gb or just an excuse to just get 64bit on after release of the SP1 .
Old November 10, 2008, 12:27 PM
Allstar
F@H

Personally ive been using x64 even when i had 2gb of ram, seems more stable and just a little faster
Mobo: ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe
Memory: 4gb OCZ Platinum 1000mhz ddr2
Graphics: 2x Sapphire 4830s in Crossfire
Keyboard: Logitech G11
Mouse: Logitech G9
HD:WD 640gb Caviar Black + 750gb Seagate
#hardwarecanucks on irc.enterthegame.com
Old November 10, 2008, 12:58 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Been on vista x64 since it came out. Had niggling driver support issues maybe for a month? but was quickly resolved. I couldn't see any reason not to right now especially if starting from scratch.
Old November 10, 2008, 01:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

There is little to no benefit in running a x64 system over a x32 system as 99% of software is still 32bit and still runs in 32bit mode in a x64 environment.
Old November 10, 2008, 01:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
There is little to no benefit in running a x64 system over a x32 system as 99% of software is still 32bit and still runs in 32bit mode in a x64 environment.
EAXCTLY, there is NO point in running 32 bit, your simply limiting yourself for no reason, theres NO BENIFIT going 32 bit, no cost benifits, no performance benifits, NOTHING with staying with 32 bit, while there are MANY benifits with going 64 bit. What if he wants to add more ram to his system, take it to 8gb, taking your suggestion he'd have to reinstall windows, while if he already had 64bit, he just has to install the ram.

Yes, 99% of apps still run in 32bit mode, but that doen't limit the OS from letting those apps access more than 2gb total at one time, as well as many other reasons (less disk thrashing). There is NO performance loss going from a 32bit OS to a 64bit OS when running 32bit apps, so the benifits of the OS outweight, ANY benifits the 32 bit os would offer(which is none).

And driver stablity and app compatiblity is OLD news, I've been using 64bit on all my capable computers (my lappy is a core duo so stuck at 32 bit) with no issues what so ever driver or app wise. 32bit and 64bit versions of vista cost the SAME, AND you can use the CD Key on either complie anyways.

Instead of using "if it ain't broke don't fix it" on a NEW PC (I would agree with you if it ment reinstalling an OS, but in this case its a brand new PC) explain to me what a BENIFIT of using a 32bit over 64bit OS would be, and don't use driver/app compaiblity as any issue between the 2 interms of compatablity is nil nowadays.
Old November 10, 2008, 01:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
EAXCTLY, there is NO point in running 32 bit, your simply limiting yourself for no reason, theres NO BENIFIT going 32 bit, no cost benifits, no performance benifits, NOTHING with staying with 32 bit, while there are MANY benifits with going 64 bit. What if he wants to add more ram to his system, take it to 8gb, taking your suggestion he'd have to reinstall windows, while if he already had 64bit, he just has to install the ram.

And driver stablity and app compatiblity is OLD news, I've been using 64bit on all my capable computers (my lappy is a core duo so stuck at 32 bit) with no issues what so ever driver or app wise. 32bit and 64bit versions of vista cost the SAME, AND you can use the CD Key on either complie anyways.
I think you missed my point.

Software is written in 32bit and will be for QUITE some time to come as people aren't ready to start coding 100% for 64bit OS yet.

So because of this 4gb of ram is pretty much useless at this point as is more than than 4gb of ram.

Anyone who needs 8gb of ram will actually need it and not want it cause they can buy it for $50.

I've ran a 32bit and a 64bit OS and you'll find VERY little difference between the two.

32bit is here to stay for a long time and 64bit won't be mainstream anytime soon, the only reason why we see desktops with 4gb of memory for is you can buy it so cheaply now.
Old November 10, 2008, 02:02 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

The drivers for 64 bit are just not as mature, you are losing performance with a 64 bit OS, both XP and Vista x64. I've benched this to no end.
Old November 10, 2008, 11:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I think you missed my point.

Software is written in 32bit and will be for QUITE some time to come as people aren't ready to start coding 100% for 64bit OS yet.

So because of this 4gb of ram is pretty much useless at this point as is more than than 4gb of ram.

Anyone who needs 8gb of ram will actually need it and not want it cause they can buy it for $50.

I've ran a 32bit and a 64bit OS and you'll find VERY little difference between the two.

32bit is here to stay for a long time and 64bit won't be mainstream anytime soon, the only reason why we see desktops with 4gb of memory for is you can buy it so cheaply now.
And you missed my point, and failed to answer my question to you. I NEVER disagreed with your point, in fact I agreed with it, most applications made past AND present will continue to be 32bit for the foreseeable future.

BUT the point I made was if you can get a car that can do 220KM/H vs a car that only can do 110KM/H which otherwise is the exact same car and etc, and even if you will almost never travel on a road (or yourself speed) with a speed posted above 100KM/H, why would you limit yourself to to a limit of 110KM/H when you know that in the near future you may travel(use more than 4gb of ram for example) on a road posted at 120KM/H or more.

Basically I ask you, why would you artificially limit yourself, for WHAT benefit would limiting yourself to a 32bit OS bring you when you can just as easily run 32bit apps(posted 100KM/H roads) with no decrease in performance, while also allowing travel on those, admittedly rare, 200KM/H roads.

Admittedly, IF you are ALREADY on a 32bit OS, there is NO REASON to UPGRADE to a 64bit OS. In this case thou he is speaking in terms of a NEW install, a new build, a new car per say. As far as I can see on a NEW build there is NO reason to FRESH INSTALL 32bit.
Old November 12, 2008, 11:17 PM
Rookie

The main topic is Vista 32 vs Vista x64 for GAMING.

As of right now there are very few games that come with x64 executables, only Far Cry and Crysis come to mind and the difference was minor compared to the 32bit versions.

Performance wise? Between the two; not a helluva much. Drivers has come a long with since Vista launch. With release of SP1; gaming performance is overall on par with XP and no discernable difference between vista 32 and vista 64 when compared to each other.

Remember 32bit Vista can still address from 2.5-3.5GB of RAM depending on config. You'll just have more RAM for overhead services like the OS and background programs in x64 while gaming.

Like what was said above, there is no reason NOT to go x64 if you had a choice.