Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 12, 2008, 10:03 AM
MVP

Default vista ultimate opinion plz.........

in just over a week i will have a chance to get a new, legit, legal copy of vista ultimate upgrade for $70.

many seem to hate it and many seem to like it for whatever reasons. if anyone has a moment can they tell me what they are. i want to see if its worth the $70.

thx

rob123

to answer the obvious question, my wife is in college. i saw something called "ultimate steal" somewhere on the web. found their canadian site and got a legal copy of microsoft office ultimate 2007 for $64. you pay, they allow you to download and email you the key and mail you a backup dvd. the key registered perfectly with microsoft first try, no fuss.

these are not academic software, but full versions. on oct 24th they are going to start with vista ultimate and something called office language packs. and sorry but its one to a customer.
in just over a week i will have a chance to get a new, legit, legal copy of vista ultimate upgrade for $70.

many seem to hate it and many seem to like it for whatever reasons. if anyone has a moment can they tell me what they are. i want to see if its worth the $70.

thx

rob123

to answer the obvious question, my wife is in college. i saw something called "ultimate steal" somewhere on the web. found their canadian site and got a legal copy of microsoft office ultimate 2007 for $64. you pay, they allow you to download and email you the key and mail you a backup dvd. the key registered perfectly with microsoft first try, no fuss.

these are not academic software, but full versions. on oct 24th they are going to start with vista ultimate and something called office language packs. and sorry but its one to a customer.

Last edited by rob123; October 12, 2008 at 10:05 AM. Reason: del something i dont recall puting there
Old October 12, 2008, 10:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

imho Ultimate is not worth it by any means.

It gives you a few extra bells and whistles that aren't worth the time or effort.

But the big perk of Ultimate is the option to upgrade to XP free if you have a legit XP key.
Old October 12, 2008, 11:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Don't buy the "upgrade", get the full version.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old October 12, 2008, 01:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What's wrong with the upgrade version? I used upgrade..
Old October 12, 2008, 01:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post
What's wrong with the upgrade version? I used upgrade..
Upgrades usually never work properly.

Its always better to do a fresh install of a OS than a upgrade to make sure everything installs properly.
Old October 12, 2008, 01:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, thats what I did, and its working perfectly.
Old October 13, 2008, 02:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I agree - Always go FRESH install - you will avoid a lot of problems and old stuff that gets ported over and tangled - I've done so and I am thankful, of course it takes time to re-isntall app, but worth it for stability.

Vista has gone a long way - I use XP Sp3 and Vista SP1 multiboot, it runs great - I also have 4 GB of RAM and when you have games like Crysis you will appreciate the fact of ahving at least 2Gb of RAM, and that oes for newer games as well. It runs smooth as silk here, for all games, and NVIDIA's recent drivers no complaints. The main reason for using VISTA is for DX10 gaming and to keep with the pace - after all have to start getting used to Windows 7 :)
Old October 16, 2008, 02:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You can buy the upgrade disks for much less and do a full fresh install legally too.
Old October 16, 2008, 02:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm also thinking that the original website is questionable, but if the # appears to work properly (would be interesting to see if the # works with a standard M$ install disk, or if the DL'd install disk is pre-cracked to match the # they send you) you should be fine until M$ tags the authentification.

I'm not going to flat out say that it's pirated software that they're selling, but it does sound pretty dicy to me.... :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 16, 2008, 02:14 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
You can buy the upgrade disks for much less and do a full fresh install legally too.
I remember doing that some time ago.

Concerning Ultimate ... well you can pick your poison 32 or 64 bit

The OS on the kid's systems are Ultimate 32 and 64 bit.
Besides installing game and stuff, I personally don't use it.

I much prefer linux mint xfce or XP ...