Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 7, 2008, 09:09 PM
MVP

Default SATA detected as SCSI in Vista?

I've never seen this before, but my SATA DVDR and HD are being detected as SCSCI under device manager in Vista x64. Is this normal?

I wanted to update my firmware on my DVDR but it keeps saying "no matched drive detected" yet its the right firmware update. I'm wondering if it's because Vista is reporting the device as SCSI and the firmware update needs to see it as SATA.

I also heard that some games have issues with SATA DVD drives? Could be why I can't play Assassins Creed. Everytime I go play play it with the DVD in the drive, it keeps telling me to insert the correct DVD. Either that or it doesn't like the fact that I changed my DVD drive to the letter B (before I installed Assassin Creed).

*shrugs*
Old October 7, 2008, 10:40 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_pulse View Post
I also heard that some games have issues with SATA DVD drives? Could be why I can't play Assassins Creed. Everytime I go play play it with the DVD in the drive, it keeps telling me to insert the correct DVD. Either that or it doesn't like the fact that I changed my DVD drive to the letter B (before I installed Assassin Creed).
Apparently it WAS because my drive letter for my DVD device was assigned the letter B: I changed it and it now works. I guess A and B have to be reserved for floppy drives still.

Still have no clue why my devices in device manager are SCSI when they are SATA.
Old October 7, 2008, 11:52 PM
Allstar

becasue the technology originated from scsi along long time ago on a work bench far far away.... that why