Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 8, 2008, 11:22 AM
MVP

If I could find a defragger that included the "Boot Time" defrag feature that would be great.

AMD Ryzen 1700 CPU
Asrock AB350 Pro 4 Motherboard
Corsair LPX 16GB (2x8GB) 3200Mhz
Adata SX8000 256GB NVME Drive
Crucial MX300 525GB M.2 Drive
EVGA GTX1080 FTW2
Corsair H105 AIO
Phanteks P400S Tempered Glass Edition
EVGA Supernova 650 G3
Old October 8, 2008, 04:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Windows Defrag works just fine for most people.

Normally you won't need to bother to defrag your hard drive for quite some time. Hard drives don't be come as fragmented as they used to.
I agree. There is no real need for other software for this.

I personally use Diskkeeper PRO, but I also got it legally for free. I can't tell you if it makes enough of a difference, but I need to use defragging software to keep drives absolutely perfectly clean since I have been doing hard driver testing and reviews.

HTPC: Dell 960 SFF Q9550/Corsair 8GB/X4500HD/128GB SSD

Old October 8, 2008, 04:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Windows Defrag works just fine for most people.

Normally you won't need to bother to defrag your hard drive for quite some time. Hard drives don't be come as fragmented as they used to.
Windows Defrag never work well for me at least. I've defragged a small 250gb hard drive with the windows utility and then use auslogic and diskeeper and it still detected so many files that weren't defragged, I'm not saying few, I mean MANY..

And besides I was defragging because, fresh windows install, plus all the drivers and various software you install, it is a good idea to defrag so everything can be put on one side, and access times and things load faster, not it is quite much faster, just something I like doing at a new install, also I would use ccleaner and wipe out all junk files and clean the registry, and use spybot and remove any spywares/adwares that were installed
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old October 8, 2008, 06:20 PM
Allstar
F@H

Windows defrag is ok, but not the best. I think they avoid improving it for anti-competitive/legal reasons.
Diskkeeper is good, don’t know if they still have free version though.
Unless your installing and uninstalling software very frequently you’ll never see a difference.
Old October 8, 2008, 07:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

I remember seeing diskeeper having a free version out.. Yeah as I mentioned it was just the first time to defrag, after installing lots of stuff..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old October 8, 2008, 09:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
Windows Defrag never work well for me at least. I've defragged a small 250gb hard drive with the windows utility and then use auslogic and diskeeper and it still detected so many files that weren't defragged, I'm not saying few, I mean MANY..

And besides I was defragging because, fresh windows install, plus all the drivers and various software you install, it is a good idea to defrag so everything can be put on one side, and access times and things load faster, not it is quite much faster, just something I like doing at a new install, also I would use ccleaner and wipe out all junk files and clean the registry, and use spybot and remove any spywares/adwares that were installed
Every software you use will show differently for a fragmentation; nothing will show the same.

But with that said I won't use anything other than Wincontig for speed and the ability to defrag directories.
Old October 8, 2008, 10:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Sadly the Windows defragger in Vista is a real step back for MS imo. I never minded using it before but in Vista it's slow and shows you nothing. I like Auslogics as it is very fast. But for a thorough defrag and movement of files and directories for better efficiency, JK Defrag is da-bomb. I agree defragging makes little difference for performance these days. I just look at it like keeping my home tidy. It doesn't do much for my productivity at work, it just makes me feel better knowing it's clean :)

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE