Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 29, 2008, 07:59 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

So I shouldn't need to worry? I hope this is the case, because I never even FINISHED the dl, I found my disc and was able to install before it finished.

@enab - it arrived in my moms Rogers email box, I personally use Windows Live Mail.
Old September 29, 2008, 08:03 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Don't worry about it.

I got one of these myself from rogers when i d'loaded oblivion and they didn't do nothing
Old September 29, 2008, 08:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

But isn't it legal if you own the game, but downloading it for backup purposes? Same as the idea of using roms, no need to have a disc to play the game.
Old September 29, 2008, 08:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckleBrother View Post
So I shouldn't need to worry? I hope this is the case, because I never even FINISHED the dl, I found my disc and was able to install before it finished.

@enab - it arrived in my moms Rogers email box, I personally use Windows Live Mail.
No don't worry about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Sorry Torrents are not illegal. There a hundreds of uses for torrents that are perfectly legal, its all in how the end user uses them.
You're right, however I never said torrents are illegal, just uploading content is illegal. In canada you can download to your heart's content if you own it. But any upload in copyrighted content is.

I use torrents all the time, I'm aware of their uses.
Old September 29, 2008, 08:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post
But isn't it legal if you own the game, but downloading it for backup purposes? Same as the idea of using roms, no need to have a disc to play the game.
It is so far, but its the uploading in torrents that is illegal (as long as its copyrighted material of course)
Old September 29, 2008, 08:13 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

So the downloading I did is legal but if I handed out even 1KB of data I can get nailed?
Old September 29, 2008, 08:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckleBrother View Post
So the downloading I did is legal but if I handed out even 1KB of data I can get nailed?
Technically, never seen it happen myself though. And it'd be the studios or organization that would go after you.
Old September 29, 2008, 08:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Soo.. Since I answered your question first, do I get the cookies?
Old September 29, 2008, 08:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheator View Post
No don't worry about it

You're right, however I never said torrents are illegal, just uploading content is illegal. In canada you can download to your heart's content if you own it. But any upload in copyrighted content is.

I use torrents all the time, I'm aware of their uses.
Again your logic is skewed because a lot of clients like Warcrafts patch and a few mmorpg games use torrents to allow their large clients to be downloaded.

So what you are saying is we are doing something illegal even tho its legal?

Nope sorry don't buy it.

Torrents are only illegal to upload if you don't own the material you are downloading.

So I go do download Spore tomorrow and let it sit there and upload yes its illegal.

I can take 20 of my dvds rip them to my hdd, set them up on a public tracker and upload the data across the internet and still be legal. The person who is being illegal is the person downloading it from me who doesn't the material.

I could be seeding those torrents so I can grab them elsewhere if I decided to travel.
Old September 29, 2008, 08:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

holy shit... this sounds very serious... hope its not true...

before, i once got two or three emails from telus about i download files from torrents... i really can't remember what those files are... so i ingored it and never heard them again... lucky me...

good luck...
NEW: customize case, XFX 750W, i7 4770k, supreme hf, GA-Z87X-OC Force, 16gb gskill ripjaws 2133mhz , xfx hd6950 CF. 128gb intel 520, wd blue and toshiba 1tb, mcp355 + EK-XRES , 2x ar697, 2x PXM360, 12x AC F12 fans, 12 x shroud, STT 123W fan filter. 2442.88CDN
OLD: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.

Last edited by CTA; September 29, 2008 at 08:52 PM.