Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   Home Server (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/10359-home-server.html)

Phobia September 26, 2008 05:57 PM

Home Server

Hey guys got a quick question for all of you. I want to set up my own server for hosting files, and maybe a website or two. Is XP ok to use? i've got it installed on my "server" pc which i just finished. Are there any programs i should use? I've never made a server before, so i've got no clue of what im doing software wise.. i've got the HW down but thats it :sad:

Cptn Vortex September 26, 2008 06:07 PM

I use XP no problems on my storage server. Hums along for months on end no need for re-boots

miggs78 September 26, 2008 06:21 PM

Are you using XP Pro Vortex, are you using some special software to host the server ?

Cptn Vortex September 26, 2008 06:24 PM

XP Pro. Then i just share my drives over the network and allow all users to change my files. On my Desktop and notebook, I just create desktop icons leading to the drives in my server. Its exactly like the drives are in my computer and laptop. Very easy

miggs78 September 26, 2008 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptn Vortex (Post 93228)
XP Pro. Then i just share my drives over the network and allow all users to change my files. On my Desktop and notebook, I just create desktop icons leading to the drives in my server. Its exactly like the drives are in my computer and laptop. Very easy

Do you use a workgroup to share files to the desky and lappy ? Because if you do that, then I do the same.

Phobia September 26, 2008 07:56 PM

ok, but what about hosting stuff for websites if i wanted?

JD September 26, 2008 08:21 PM

Checkout XAMPP: apache friends - xampp

Basically its a pre-packaged and configured Apache, MySQL, PHP, FTP server. Rather simple to setup and get running.

Cheator September 26, 2008 10:28 PM

And make sure you use protection. ie, firewall and up to date anti-virus

Jack Rabbit September 27, 2008 02:50 AM

I would not expose an XP based computer to the Internet. Bad people regularly search for them and break in to steal what they can or use it as a spam/malware gateway. There are plenty of free options for a small website where dealing with the OS is SEP.

bushwhacker September 27, 2008 07:25 AM

caution ... too bad!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdrom17 (Post 93280)
Checkout XAMPP: apache friends - xampp

Basically its a pre-packaged and configured Apache, MySQL, PHP, FTP server. Rather simple to setup and get running.

This looked like a great option until I read:
The philosophy

The philosophy behind XAMPP is to build an easy to install distribution for developers to get into the world of Apache. To make it convenient for developers XAMPP is configured with all features turned on. The default configuration is not good from a securtiy point of view and it's not secure enough for a production environment - please don't use XAMPP in such environment.

----------------------------------------------------

my take:
- configuring Apache can be a bit of a pita but the defaults are set for a secure working environment. (if I have to learn how to secure XAMPP's Apache configuration ... yuk)
- Filezilla server can be had separately (which is what XAMPP is using).
- there are many 'extras' included in XAMPP that may not be necessary for many users.