Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 12, 2008, 07:15 AM
Top Prospect

Default how to disable keyboard power off key in XP?

I have the A4Tech KL-5UP keyboard..It have a power off key which my kid press and it power off XP...I would like to disable it so it won't be press accidentally...How can I disable it in XP?
Thanks!
Old September 12, 2008, 08:11 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Smile

sup i can help, welcome to the forums BTW, k go to control panel, then power options, advanced(sorry been on vista for awhile some steps may not be needed or and closer than i explain) then you want to find power buttons and lids, or i think just buttons, and make it ask or do nothing so when he hits it it will just ask him if he wants to or do nothing. hope that works casue if it uses software thenit might not work., if u got probems im on xfire 24/7. (look at sig)
Old September 12, 2008, 05:49 PM
Top Prospect

Thanks for the reply...I can't unassign it that way because the computer won't turn off if I press the power button. There is no driver for the keyboard so it's not software..I will email A4tech and see what they say..There gotta be a way to config Windows hotkeys.
Old September 12, 2008, 06:17 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

"sleep" along with a bunch of other stuff is part of the fancy new keyboard additions from Microsoft. You should be able to remap the scan code. I have never done this with the sleep code but have done other things. Here is a link to some instructions.

Remap the CapsLock Key or any Key in Windows XP, 2000, Vista and 2003

Heed the warning; "if you are not comfortable editing the registry, DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS."

This program might do the trick for you, also. KeyTweak Homepage
Old September 13, 2008, 12:00 PM
Top Prospect

Thanks for the utility...I will check it out.

Question...I bought one of those flexible keyboard that omitted lots of keys, including Page-up, Page-down...Are there keys in XP I can simulate Page-up/Page-down?

Thanks!
Old September 14, 2008, 06:04 PM
MVP

My System Specs

well u can use the windows on screen keyboard but that's not what u want is it, use the utility recommended i think u can remap keys for shortcuts.
Old September 15, 2008, 06:44 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Most mini-keyboards like this come with an embedded keypad like the ones on laptops. Usually FN up arrow is PG UP. Does your keyboard not have this?

What do you need PG UP and PG DN for? In Open Office and many editors you can completely configure all commands. You could remap the controls to some kind of alt or ctrl combination. Many *nix text editors there are already combinations for this (in vi it is ctrl-b and ctrl-f). Some applications have other keys to scroll. For example, space usually scrolls down in web browsers.

AFAIK, there is no built in way to issue PG UP and PG DN with some other kind of key combination from the main keyboard. I think KeyTweak could do it. Another option would be to make an AutoIt macro but I am not a big fan of AutoIt. AutoIT would be really annoying if you need all the ctrl and shift combinations for selection of text.