Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 9, 2008, 09:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm sure you could if you modified the case but I don't think i'm up for it heh.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old September 18, 2008, 02:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Alright I've done some research. Here's what I'm looking at, what do you guys think?

ASUS Maximus II Formula LGA775 P45 ATX DDR2 2PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 2PCI SATA RAID GBLAN 1394 Motherboard
I've read lots on the mobo, it's not the X48 but I also am not really looking to pay 500+ lol plus I'd have to spend on some decent DDR3.

EVGA E-GEFORCE 9800GX2 600MHZ 1GB 2.0GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDMI HDCP Video Card
I could go with a GTX280 but for this price, it's so closely comparable in performance on my 22" Samsung, I might as well. I won't go Xfire on that board, I'm not putting that AMD junk anywhere near my system, don't care how it performs lol.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 Quad Core Processor LGA775 3.0GHZ Yorkfield 1333FSB 12MB Retail Box
^^ Actually I won't be getting that from NCIX; you'll all hate me but I can pick a new one up for free+shipping from the states. /brag /brag haha :P

I'll also probably pawn off my spare parts on here or to a friend of mine.

Still debating, I love my Mushkin Redlines but not sure if I could get more out of some 8500 Ascents on this mobo.

P.s. OR Maybe I'll turn that Q6600 in a folding biiotch! LOL
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old September 18, 2008, 04:56 PM
Allstar
F@H

Damn if you got the money it looks tight..you don't like the Rampage Formula it's like $330. I have been looking at the Q9650 for awhile now and I know its expensive but damn come on stock 3.0 quad and a 9 X multiplier I think its worth it but many say otherwise. Cant go wrong with those dirt ass cheap GX2's unless of course you swallow some pride and get ATI...but even still the GX2 is seriously hard to beat at its price.

E8600 420x10 |Thermalright 120 Black | Maximus Formula | ATI 4870X2 | 4GB Buffalo FireStiX PC8500 | Corsair HX1000 | Lian Li V2010B | Vista Ultimate 64bit

Q6600 334x9 |Thermaltake Blu Orb | ASUS P5Q-PRO| ATI 2900XT | 6GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 | Corsair HX520 | Lian Li V600B | Vista Home Premium 64bit

Old September 18, 2008, 05:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The cache on those CPU's is great. And for me, I really am not as big of an overclocker as most people so I like to get the most out of my stock and just bump it up a bit more for the sport of it than anything else.

And my honest to god reasons for not liking ATI right now are very legit. Their vendors are largely not places I'd like to place my dollar. There are also tactile differences in the materials used to build them; I've held the recent cards in my hand; the plastics are cheap and aesthetically unpleasing. I'm not saying aesthetics are what counts; I am saying that when you spend that kind of money on something you want it to really FEEL worth it. It's why people buy Apple over other brands; they really are well made products. When I hold a 4870 it dosn't feel like something I just spent 400 bucks on. A GTX280 on the other hand, sure as hell does.

Anyways off topic; I trade up my products a lot so I really don't consider future proofing much. If in 4 months I want a new video card I'll sell the GX2 and get it; or if I can't afford it I'll suck it up and move on lol.

I'm wondering if anyone has put their hands on this mobo and could tell me anymore about it other than the stuff I'd read in reviews :)
Old September 18, 2008, 08:30 PM
Allstar
F@H

Fair enough ... I have the same thoughts only reversed...but I wont lead this thread astray.

I think the Rampage series took the wind out of the sails of the Maximus line and I think they lost some enthusiasts by not putting the X48 chip set in it even if the difference is small that (X ) says extreme to many buyers. Of course the Maximus Formula Extreme offered an excellent X38 with Watercooling the Maximus Formula was hackable to the same bios as the Rampage Formula leaving only the Rampage Extreme as the last real performance board with a performance chipset.

E8600 420x10 |Thermalright 120 Black | Maximus Formula | ATI 4870X2 | 4GB Buffalo FireStiX PC8500 | Corsair HX1000 | Lian Li V2010B | Vista Ultimate 64bit

Q6600 334x9 |Thermaltake Blu Orb | ASUS P5Q-PRO| ATI 2900XT | 6GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 | Corsair HX520 | Lian Li V600B | Vista Home Premium 64bit

Old September 18, 2008, 09:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah I dunno if I'm that extreme of a person to even notice; What do you think are Asus CURRENT best offerings?
Old September 18, 2008, 10:14 PM
Allstar
F@H

in all honesty I am in a similar pickle I would love to get the Q9650 and OC the $%!t out if it. I would like to WC my current board but it would require a ton of cash to get it done... so hmmmm a new board like the Rampage Extreme is really tempting but then my brain comes back on and tells me laying down $450 on a new board thats 3 months from being obselete plus new Ram $300 and CPU $600 and new cooling solution and case $750-$1000 why not wait until the Xtreme i7 and X58's hit the shelves in 3 months and save myself the $2000 kick in the nuts I would get if I bought all this now and still bought the new stuff later. So in short I give high marks to ASUS RAMPAGE Extreme but the Price is Crazy...for a MOBO wow...The Rampage Formula is not worth it over the Maximus Formula besides a slightly better passive cooler. The Maximus Formula 2 and the Rampage Formula are essentially the same board with different chipsets. Considering the price of the Enthusiast boards VS performance the p5q-pro probably the best bang right now. On another note if your an Nvidia guy you may also want to wait for X58 boards that will support SLI for your cards without having to go to an Nvidia Chipset.

Old September 18, 2008, 10:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It's so up in the air regarding i7, I def am looking forward to an intel chipset and sli; also scratch that GX2, they're all sold out of 299 ones on ncix now lol, they are all 600 ish now