Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 6, 2008, 05:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Keep the current system,

Take a look at the mountain mods cases and watercool your system. It is fun :) or a bigger LCD !

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old September 6, 2008, 08:18 PM
Allstar
F@H

Well if the plan is to go to i7 then you don't want to blow to much on parts and given that they are going to USE triple channel DDR3 it makes it complicated Im not sure if that means you would be looking at 6GB of Ram or if they are going to start coming out with 1.5GB sticks. But anyway if you bought 2 4GB(2X2gb) ram kits of DDR3 1600 you should be able to use the new sticks in the new board however buy the time this setup becomes standard DDR2000 may be the more common standard ....but my money is on 1600.

So thinking of Futureproof parts I would say

HX1000, 4870X2, 8GB DDR3 1600, WD Velociraptor. Any WC setup minus the LGA775 cooler.

Now the tough part is my money is on the thinking that the first gen i7's will cost a fortune for the performance ones so if you have money burning a hole in your pocket buy the Kick Ass Rampage Extreme X48 and a QX series processor and OC that sucker beyond anything the i7's wil lbe able to do for the next couple years. Like it or not it will be a while before we see a stock 4.0ghz Quad Core so get a current Gen X48 series Board and LGA775 processor then OC them boom problem solved.

Considering how few applications and games take advantage of quad core tech and I bet we will see an 6 and 8 core CPU at 2.4ghz before we see a 4.0ghz Quad in the i7 series. So maybe even take another step back and get the E8600 and an awesome board plus the rather futureproof parts up above. (as futureproof as possible in the tech world today anyway)

E8600 420x10 |Thermalright 120 Black | Maximus Formula | ATI 4870X2 | 4GB Buffalo FireStiX PC8500 | Corsair HX1000 | Lian Li V2010B | Vista Ultimate 64bit

Q6600 334x9 |Thermaltake Blu Orb | ASUS P5Q-PRO| ATI 2900XT | 6GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 | Corsair HX520 | Lian Li V600B | Vista Home Premium 64bit

Old September 6, 2008, 09:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Actually, not all of the i7's are going to be triple channel. According to wikipedia the initial ones will mostly actually still be dual channel. I can always just use 6 sticks of dual channel anyways. But you are correct, DDR1600 is probably right and I was actually looking at the rampage extreme just a moment ago. NCIX dosn't have any though; wonder if we'll see the one from HWC up for sale? HMMM? /nudge haha
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old September 6, 2008, 10:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Not a chance, Jody is laying down some HUGE numbers with that RE, he won't let it go for a while.
Old September 6, 2008, 10:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ahaha I'm sure he is! That's awesome.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old September 6, 2008, 10:54 PM
Allstar
F@H

I think they are currently special order on most sites.. I know I looked on NCIX as soon as I read the HWC review but to no success however there are 2 companies listed carrying it on the price compare section.

E8600 420x10 |Thermalright 120 Black | Maximus Formula | ATI 4870X2 | 4GB Buffalo FireStiX PC8500 | Corsair HX1000 | Lian Li V2010B | Vista Ultimate 64bit

Q6600 334x9 |Thermaltake Blu Orb | ASUS P5Q-PRO| ATI 2900XT | 6GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 | Corsair HX520 | Lian Li V600B | Vista Home Premium 64bit

Old September 7, 2008, 07:23 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I agree with doing the water cooling now and the upgrades later.
Old September 7, 2008, 07:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Yes as your running a quad, water-cooling is a great idea. That way you can enjoy immediate improvements with the current setup and have something to boost the performance of future upgrades.

Also as mentioned if your running a 22inch monitor I would be strongly tempted to go for a good 25.5 or maybe even higher...that will give you an immediate and drammatic improvement in visuals anyway.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old September 7, 2008, 09:11 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
From what I understand Nehalem will be a new socket - a bigger one at that. The CPU blocks that we have may not be compatible with that new socket... looks like it's a new block if we make the jump.
I have been thinking about this. Considering the largest percentage of heat output is in the center of the chip, would it really be necessary to cover the entire thing? Call me crazy, but I really don't think it is. I mean, sure if you want sub 30*C temperatures you would need to cover the entire thing as the greater the surface area covered the greater the performance. That being said, I would still consider temperatures hovering around 50*C acceptable, assuming heat output does not limit my overclock in any which way or form.
When you look at it, how hard would it be to change the mounting system on the FuZion? I for one think it would be very simple, but that could just be me.
James
Old September 7, 2008, 09:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwestwell View Post
I think they are currently special order on most sites.. I know I looked on NCIX as soon as I read the HWC review but to no success however there are 2 companies listed carrying it on the price compare section.
Maybe I'll phone NCIX and see if they can get me one in. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magictorch View Post
Yes as your running a quad, water-cooling is a great idea. That way you can enjoy immediate improvements with the current setup and have something to boost the performance of future upgrades.

Also as mentioned if your running a 22inch monitor I would be strongly tempted to go for a good 25.5 or maybe even higher...that will give you an immediate and drammatic improvement in visuals anyway.
Actually I will be getting a 42 inch shortly, I'm lucky enough to work at a company who has great contacts and I picked up a Sharp Aquos for $400.00, new! - I'll probably sell my two 8800GT Akimbo's and pick up some 280's or 260's or something then - If I get that mobo I'll grab a couple 4870's or an 4870X2 instead.

Can anyone recommend a good water cooling case? I'd like to keep everything internal if possible.