Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 4, 2008, 11:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

After reading several reviews, ending with this one that pits the E8500 against a Phenom X4 9350, and doing a bit of asking around, I think I'll be going with the E8500 as my processor choice.
Old September 4, 2008, 11:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So now I'm reading a few customer reviews from several sites saying that the BFG 800W PSU has a tendancy to catch on fire.... FUN! Ugh, back to the drawing board on a PSU. You'd think it wouldn't be so difficult to find a decent MB that doesn't have blue LED's in it! Curse you OCZ! Maybe I'll just buy an XStream and rip the fan out of it and replace it.

*edit* hmmmm Coolermaster seem to have some good options, but I really don't know their products very well.

Last edited by Caldezar; September 4, 2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old September 4, 2008, 11:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks a ton to everyone that encouraged me to look at the P45 chipset... although my eyes are nearly bleeding from all the reading I've been doing on the chipset comparisons. Now I'm looking at either the Asus Maximus II Formula vs. the ASUS P5Q Deluxe. Thoughts?
Old September 4, 2008, 01:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Change the cooler to the OCZ Vendetta 2 or the Xigmatek HDT S-1283. I'm using the Vendetta 2 on my E7200, and currently trying to overclock my CPU to around 3.8Ghz. Under Linpack load, the temps never pass 62C. CPU-Z is stating 1.32V under load, so the Vendetta 2 is a great cooler. When it was running stock, the highest temps I saw were around 50C.

Your computer is going to be tucked away somewhere right? I'd still go with the Corsair HX620. What don't you like about it anyways?

The P45 chipsets are excellent. Besides looking at the ASUS lineup, also take a look at the Gigabyte lineup. My Gigabyte EP35-DS3L has pretty good overclocking options and I paid only $90 for it.
Old September 4, 2008, 05:12 PM
Allstar
F@H

I would definitely get the P45 over the X38 as it yields better overclocking most of the time. If you haven't chosen a PSU yet, I'd strongly recommend the PCP&C Silencer 750W. It is extremely quiet and with a single 12V rail at 60A, its got tons of power the throw around.
Old September 4, 2008, 05:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Change the cooler to the OCZ Vendetta 2 or the Xigmatek HDT S-1283. I'm using the Vendetta 2 on my E7200, and currently trying to overclock my CPU to around 3.8Ghz. Under Linpack load, the temps never pass 62C. CPU-Z is stating 1.32V under load, so the Vendetta 2 is a great cooler. When it was running stock, the highest temps I saw were around 50C.Your computer is going to be tucked away somewhere right?
I'd still go with the Corsair HX620. What don't you like about it anyways?
My computer will be fairly visible and right next to me actually. I'm modding the case quite a bit, so I don't want to go with the Corsair since they're just about the most unsightly PSU's available on the market. And as stated before, I'm going with the cooling option because it's a very good product AND because it fits the look of my mod perfectly.

Quote:
I would definitely get the P45 over the X38 as it yields better overclocking most of the time. If you haven't chosen a PSU yet, I'd strongly recommend the PCP&C Silencer 750W. It is extremely quiet and with a single 12V rail at 60A, its got tons of power the throw around.
I'm looking into this option right now, and so far I'm really liking the Silencer as a PSU choice. Thanks for the tip!
Old September 4, 2008, 06:34 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

If you want what I believe the nicest looking PSU out there, then you should take a look at the Mushkin XP-800AP. NCIX.com - Buy Mushkin XP-800AP ATX 12V 64A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 135MM Fan - 550300 In Canada..

A closer look, with better pics: Mushkin XP-800AP 800W Review Page 2 - Closer Look (Power Supply) - Overclockers Club.

I had a 550W in my hands, and I actually removed my fingerprints from the PSU housing and used gloves to install it. It's that glossy.
Old September 4, 2008, 08:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wow! That really is a seriously shiny PSU! I feel like I should be leaning back in a lazy-boy with a beer in my hand admiring it redneck-style. Hmmm... I don't like the green LED's. Although the semi modular design is a huge plus! I might be forced to buy a PSU without worrying about the LED's, and simply swap the fan out for one with red LED's.

Does anyone know if the fans in a PSU are typically connected via a plug or pin connector? Or are the wires typically soldered in?

Last edited by Caldezar; September 4, 2008 at 09:35 PM.
Old September 5, 2008, 11:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The Final Product:

Case - SilverStone TJ09 Black W/Clear Side

PSU - Mushkin XP-800AP 800W

MB ASUS Maximus II Formula

CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E8500

Video 2x Sapphire radeon HD4850 512MB

RAM Mushkin Ascent PC2-8500 2X2GB DDR2-1066 4GB Kit

HDD 2x Seagate Barracuda 640GB 7200RPM SATA II 32MB CACHE

Optical Drive - LG GH22NS30 Black SATA
(Chosen almost purely on drive volume, so if anyone knows of a good deal on a silent drive, let me know.)

Cooling

CPU HS - Thermalright ULTRA-120 Extreme Black Ed.
-------------------------------------

I'm moving next week, so I won't be doing anything until after I get settled at my new place. Once I'm all set there, however, I'll be ordering up my case and starting on my mod. (Look for the work log to be posted here at HWC.) Once I get nearer to finish with the case, I'll start ordering the hardware. Hopefully, the time lapse between now and the time the case is ready will see the price of the hardware drop a few dollars here and there... hey, you never know in this industry. =P
Old September 5, 2008, 02:01 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
Wow! That really is a seriously shiny PSU! I feel like I should be leaning back in a lazy-boy with a beer in my hand admiring it redneck-style. Hmmm... I don't like the green LED's. Although the semi modular design is a huge plus! I might be forced to buy a PSU without worrying about the LED's, and simply swap the fan out for one with red LED's.

Does anyone know if the fans in a PSU are typically connected via a plug or pin connector? Or are the wires typically soldered in?
I had to replace the fan inside my HX1000W (didn't want to RMA just for a fan) since it was noisy. It was a simple 3-pin connector, same as the mobo headers.