Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 1, 2008, 01:21 PM
Rookie

Default $1500 case build, advice/suggestions needed

Hey everyone,

Looking to build a new PC to replace my s754 3000+ that's really starting to show it's age.

Looking mainly at quad's since although there will be some gaming, everyday multitasking will be it's primary use (some video work, bit of photo editing, etc.). Running a 22" LCD at 1680x1050

Looking to spend about $1500 taxes in on the tower alone most likelyi from NCIX due to availability of VIP and free shipping from points.

Would like to overclock finally as I never got around to really pushing my current rig but why not this time.

Most likely building within the next month.

So far from what I've read and pieced together it's looking like this.

Coolermaster CM690
Corsair 620HX (prefer modular)

Q9450

Mushkin XP PC2-8000 Redline 2X2GB (unsure of this open to suggestions)

Gigabyte EP45-DS4P (also considered the asus p5q-e but like the extra inputs,
dolby digital live, and few other features the gigabyte board offers)

Visiontek 4870 (possibly spend ~100 extra on a 280 for added longevity?)

WD640 GB (would prefer a longer warranty with equal performance if possible)

OCZ Vendetta 2 w/thermalright mounting kit

Scythe Ultra Kaze 120mm 2000 rpm fan's to replace existing fan's for less noise

All that and a few minor things (fan controller, etc) comes up to just over 1500 after price matching and taxes.

Thanks in advance.
Old September 1, 2008, 05:53 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

You did your homework quite well - I would not change a single part. Have fun and enjoy building it!

And welcome to the Forum.
Old September 1, 2008, 06:05 PM
Rookie

Judging by your choices, you seem to have a good handle on things. Big thumbs up on the HDD choice: 320GB/platter and only 2 platters is probably the best compromise in terms of speed, capacity, heat and noise.
I don't know how picky you are about noise, but if you are like me you should consider going with 1200 or 1600rpm S-Flexes instead of the Ultra Kazes according to this review at SPCR. The only situations where an Ultra is needed is if you're trying to push air through thick filters or something that needs a lot of pressure.

On the RAM issue, I personally went with 800Mhz modules since they are so much cheaper and I don't think the the performance difference is noticeable outside of benchmarks specific to mem bandwidth.
As for video, depending on how long you keep your components for, you may want to join me in waiting for the 1gb version of the 4870, although I feel guilty for suggesting the waiting game since there really is no knowing how much longer it will take and no guarantee that they won't be as ridiculously priced as the preorder ones ($350-400). But if you weren't planning on using Crossfire (since you suggested getting a 280), there are some amazing deals to be had on the GTX260- I've seen it as low as $240 after rebates last week.
Old September 1, 2008, 06:30 PM
Rookie

i'm starting to debate switching to an e8400 freeing up room in the budget for a 280gtx. Although I'm not sure if it will really provide enough boost at 1680x1050.
Old September 1, 2008, 06:37 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Why not? The GTX280 is one heck of a card - see my sig...
Old September 1, 2008, 06:53 PM
Rookie

heh you seem to be a fan

has anyone been able to find the differences between the EP45-DS4 and DQ6? I looked and couldn't see any difference besides price
Old September 1, 2008, 07:01 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxmonkey View Post
heh you seem to be a fan

has anyone been able to find the differences between the EP45-DS4 and DQ6? I looked and couldn't see any difference besides price
Very different boards: GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Comparison Sheet
Old September 1, 2008, 07:09 PM
Rookie

Just features and more phases on the VRM, it seems. Quad Gigabit LAN, extra eSATA bracket, extra firewire bracket and all that stuff (over the already feature-rich DS4) that most people wouldn't use?
Old September 1, 2008, 07:18 PM
Rookie

awww yah i see it now, all the parts are starting to blend together in my mind lol
Old September 1, 2008, 07:45 PM
Rookie

It's probably just me, but I'd skimp on the RAM (speed & brand, not quantity) rather than CPU to free up $ for the vid card. It's not like the pc2-6400's don't have any OC headroom to get up to similar speeds as the ones you were thinking of getting if you really felt the need to run them at that speed. And definitely DS4 over the DQ6.