Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 30, 2008, 01:04 PM
Rookie

Default Is this a good gaming system?

Hello,

I plan to buy a new computer soon and I thought it's wise to ask more people about my choices.
Here is what I have in mind:

Motherboard : ASUS Maximus II Formula (200 EUR)
CPU : INTEL E8600 - Core 2 Duo, 3.3GHz (230 EUR)
Video card : ASUS EAH4870X2 Radeon HD 4870 X2 (460 EUR)
RAM : Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX, 2x2GB, DRR2-800 (100 EUR)
HDD : 2 x Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS (480 EUR)
PSU : Zalman ZM850-HP - 850W (160 EUR)
Case : Thermaltake Kandalf LCS (240 EUR)
DVD writer : Samsung SH-S203P (40 EUR)
Keyboard : Logitech G15 2005 or G11 (80 EUR); hope I will still find G15 2005 (had that cool wheel)
Mouse : Logitech MX 518 (45 EUR)
Display : Samsung SyncMaster 2493HM, 24'', 1920x1200 (360 EUR)

In total it's about 2500 EUR and this is kind of my budget (can go a few hundreds higher but I don't really want to).

And here are my reasons:

Motherboard
- it's a P45 chipset based mobo because I don't trust NVIDIA on chipsets and it's not a X48 because I don't plan to use CrossFire (P5 has 2 PCIe ports, but each is 8x unlike 2 x 16x on X48)
- has hardware RAID (Speeding HDD)
- performs fine in reviews
- I trust ASUS as a brand

CPU
- fastest Core 2 Duo
- I plan to overclock it and would like not to increase the voltage; from the reviews I read this processor is the most stable with this kind of overclocking (probably brought by the new E0 stepping)

Video card
- needed a bad video card because I want to play all the games maxed out at 1920x1200
- the only thing better than this (but only slightly and not in all games) is 2 GTX 280, and that's at least 300 EUROs more. It's a no-brainer who provides better value here

RAM
- 2 x 2GB seems the best/enough for now (will use Vista or XP 64 bit editions)
- I trust the brand
- it's on ASUS' Qualified Vendor List which means it has been tested with the motherboard so I won't have problems

HDD
- 2 pieces of the fastest hard-drive available
- will use RAID 0
- solid state hard drives are just too expensive now (perhaps in a few years...)

PSU
- has enough juice (including amps)
- respected brand
- performs ok in reviews
- it's very quiet

Case
- looks cool
- it's quiet
- it has water cooling and I want that (I like it quiet), but I am not ready to make case modifications. I'm sure that if I were to cut the case myself it would look horrible

DVD RW
- from the reviews it seems ok
- has LightScribe which might come in handy

Mouse
- it's wired (had some bad experiences with gaming using wireless mice)
- can change DPI on-the-fly while you are in the game
- it's lighter than G5 (I don't like brick mice - heavy and big)

Display
- I like 24'' / 1920x1200
- it performs ok in the reviews
- has HDMI
- looks nice
- has TN panel which means it's cheap and it doesn't have noticeable input lag; I don't mind viewing angles: I will be gaming right in front of it

The video card will probably be the most noisy component and I will probably buy a water block as soon as I know there is no fabrication problem with it. I heard that mounting a water block voids the warranty so I want first to make sure I won't return it.

What do you think?
Will I have any incompatibilities?
Known issues with any component?
Are my choices correct?

P.S. Sorry for the huge post.

Thank you.

edit:
- added clarifications
- added links to the components' specifications
- updated prices

Last edited by cvmocanu; August 31, 2008 at 01:06 AM.
Old August 30, 2008, 01:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Of course it's a good gaming computer- you've bought top of the line components. I realize the trepidation you have about setting up a liquid cooling system yourself might direct you to that case (which I think are rather ugly), but those e8x00 chips overclock very well on air cooling- I'd just get a good air cooler and when I had researched liquid cooling and felt comfortable with it I would build my own system- just get a large case and you won't need to do any cutting outside of maybe a hole or two to drill at most.
Old August 30, 2008, 01:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Nice rig. Should last you for a little while. Where ya from? Welcome to HWC.

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!
Old August 30, 2008, 01:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I fail to see any reason to buy raptors, just get some WD 640gigs x 3 and RAID 5 em!

Edit: p.s. Do NOT touch XP 64 bit! Go right for vista!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old August 30, 2008, 04:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

That'll be a wicked machine...but i think you know that. You seem to know all the pros and cons of the current available hardware, so a thumbs-up from us is likely unimportant. The only way you could have a better system is if you had a Q9550 or higher quad. Welcome to HWC. Enjoy the beast, when you get it all assembled.
Old August 30, 2008, 04:47 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I second Vista, its awesome when you have the right requirements =]. welcome to HWC
"My brother is dead. He's not here Anymore. But on my back, and in my heart...He lives on in me. I will make a hole through heaven itself, even if that hole becomes my grave. As long as I break through, I will be victorious.Who the **** do you think I am?"
Old August 30, 2008, 10:51 PM
Rookie
F@H

hey umm...

x48 doesn't mean crossfire..
you can crossfire on p45 too

and 2 4870x2's would be better than 2 gtx280's wouldn't it be?
but other than that
i think that's an awesome system..
i wish i had money like that

too bad i'm poor xD
Old August 30, 2008, 10:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

Stay with XP and go x64 its a great OS :)
Old August 31, 2008, 01:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

Not a fan of that case at all. Thermaltake's liquid cooling system use aluminum radiators, terrible waterpumps, lousy waterblocks, and less-than ideal coolant mixtures. In other words, substandard on pretty much all fronts. If you like the looks of the case, fair enough. But if you're willing to budge, one of the easiest cases to stick watercooling inside (as opposed to hanging it outside) is the Coolermaster Cosmos S case, which is designed to have a triple rad hung in its ceiling, and if you want to hold off on the watercooling at first (as Babrbarossa suggested), it'll do a good job of air-cooling as well.

If you haven't tried it, Logitech's G9 mouse has a lighter feel than the G5, especially without the weights inside. Has five customizable sensitivity settings, too.
Old August 31, 2008, 01:43 AM
Allstar

Duuuude!, you think like I do! Go big or go home, and ifyou cant go big, go raid 5 LoL