Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 28, 2008, 09:51 PM
Top Prospect

Default Need some advice on new MOBO for DDR3 that I won on this site

I won 2GB of Corsair DDR3 Ram on this site, It should here in a few days.
So my question is this. I am currently thinking of getting a new MOBO to support this new DDR3 Ram. But, Do I need to get a new CPU to accomplish this?
I don't know of any MOBO's that support a XEON 3070, DDR3 and a GTX260?
Or should I just try and sell my XEON 3070 and E6400 to try and get a E8400 or maybe even a cheap quad?
I basically want to maximize my gaming performance as much as possible.
So I have a few ways to go.

I can try and find a new MOBO for this new DDR3 ram, but then I need to decide what to do about a CPU then. Cuz I don't think I will get any more performance just by using DDR3 Ram and my Current CPU setup.
I can sell the two 1GB sticks of Corsair DDR3 ram and my XEON 3070, E6400 and use the money to buy a new CPU and just keep my Current G-Skill DDR2 800Mhz Ram and MOBO setup.

I really don't have alot of cash these days, And my new GTX260 is Prolly going to be bottlenecked by my current CPU setup as it is.
I really need some advice on what is going to be my best bang for my buck.
But please keep in mind that don't have a lot of cash, So just buying a bunch of new Components is out of the question.

And can you guys help appraise my stuff if i do decide to sell some of it?
XEON 3070
E6400
four 1GB sticks of G-skill DDR2 800mhz Ram
ASUS P5B
I will be selling it in Canada, So also keep that in mind.
I know this is a few questions in one post, But somehow I need to figure this out. So I come to the Best Site I know for Advice:D
Thank you to all who help!
System spec: Intel i7 2600k, Gigabyte GTX 570 Super Overclock, Kingston DDR3 2X4 GB sticks, ASUS P8P67 PRO, Cooler Master 700 watt PSU, 750GB*2 Sata,SATA III 1TB HDD Acer 24 Widescreen, Antec 300, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit