Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 28, 2008, 10:56 AM
Rookie

Default Opinions on build?

Just figured I'd get some peoples thoughts on the system I've got in the works(that is if my bloody parts ever get here >.<)
System specs:
Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P
CPU: P4 3.0ghz Prescott
HSF:Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
RAM: 2x2048mb DDR2 OCZ SLI Kit
Video Card: Sapphire HD3870 512mb GDDR4 Single slot(Blue PCB)
PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Quad Crossfire 750W
Case: Lian-Li PC60USB
Monitor:19" Samsung Syncmaster 950b CRT(DVI-VGA adapter used)
Hard drives: 1x WD 160gb 7200rpm IDE 1x Seagate Barracuda 40gb 7200rpm IDE
Optical Drives: LG DVD-RW(20x) LG DVD-ROM-16x
Additional PCI cards:Linksys WMP54G Wifi card
Number of fans present:3x80mm(Stock Lian-Li)

Not posting up what I will have the chip oc'd to because I'm still waiting on the power supply so I don't know what I can pull out of it on this board. Managed 3.5ghz with the old board(asrock 775dual-vsta) but that board was dodgy.

Just looking for opinions on how this should turn out.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old August 28, 2008, 01:56 PM
Allstar

I run a 3870 but the x2 version, and i like it.
Old August 28, 2008, 02:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I presume you're looking for a budget PC? Some of those parts are really old, like the Prescott CPU and Hard Drives. Are you pulling stuff from an old rig? I hope you've had some other people's opinions other than a sales representative; they usually don't know what they're talking about...the PSU is overkill.

Please tell us what your budget was and what you planned on doing with this.
Old August 28, 2008, 03:00 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
I presume you're looking for a budget PC? Some of those parts are really old, like the Prescott CPU and Hard Drives. Are you pulling stuff from an old rig? I hope you've had some other people's opinions other than a sales representative; they usually don't know what they're talking about...the PSU is overkill.

Please tell us what your budget was and what you planned on doing with this.
Agreed, the P4 Prescott is quite old, and you can get SATA HDD's for the same price or cheaper then their IDE counterpart these days. When did you order this rig, three years ago?
-Deadpool
Old August 28, 2008, 03:52 PM
Rookie

Yeah, I am pulling stuff from my old rig.
Don't much care for sales reps as I'm a tech.
I know the psu is overkill but it's better to have too much than not enough.
I do plan on upgrading the hard drives as soon as my budget allows(Most likely going with 2x500gb seagate SATA 32mb cache's)
The cpu should hold steady for now depending on what I can pull out of it for O/C but I'm planning on an e8400 in the near future(Don't do anything that will utilize quad core. Just gaming and general internet)
I have all these parts now and to date I've spent just over $500 on it. Still need to budget for a new monitor as this CRT is huge and too heavy for my desk.
Old August 28, 2008, 04:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Alright dude if you've pulled a lot of parts from old rig then that's alright I guess. I mean these parts are REALLY OLD haha. I would first recommend getting a new processor, should that be the first thing to upgrade. Remember that you will most likely need to buy a new license of your OS if you change a major component (that is, if you don't pirate). With the CPU HSF you have, I don't think you'll be able to get much more out of your Prescott. They just run way too hot. I had one and I could barely take my stock 3.4 GHz Prescott past 3.5 GHz as well without it throttling.
Old August 28, 2008, 04:54 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
Remember that you will most likely need to buy a new license of your OS if you change a major component (that is, if you don't pirate). .
Not sure why you say this? I've always just done windows repair and then when it doesnt let you OL activate call them up and go through the process. Never had to buy a new license. In either case I highly doubt I'll run into issues with installing OS aside from possibly dual-booting vista ultimate 64 and xp pro 32.
Old August 28, 2008, 05:00 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarX View Post
Not sure why you say this? I've always just done windows repair and then when it doesnt let you OL activate call them up and go through the process. Never had to buy a new license. In either case I highly doubt I'll run into issues with installing OS aside from possibly dual-booting vista ultimate 64 and xp pro 32.
Don't worry about buying a new OS lol, I do the exact same thing and it works fine.
-Deadpool