Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 22, 2008, 05:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Its actually the same board minus the ROG and the BIOS..... SKY just peel back the sticker with the "P5E Deluxe" on it. Definitely brings down costs when you just need to make one board! Unless you want all the fancy stuff like onboard Power/reset buttons and BIOS post LCD screen, the P5E Deluxe is a great choice.

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old August 22, 2008, 06:03 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

The P5E Deluxe a good one too. I keep getting stuck on Canada Computers inventory and they don't carry that one. I see it at Infonec for $232 which is def a better value than the $320 Rampage I mentioned...didn't realize that they were the same pcb though!

A common complaint about the Rampage is the poor heatsink 'tape' they use for the NB...is the P5E heatsink cooled better?
Fold for team #54196

Last edited by chrisk; August 22, 2008 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Heatsink question
Old August 22, 2008, 06:09 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

No sticker on this one. Guess it is a newer revision.
Old August 24, 2008, 01:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
This might sound odd but where does red + black tie into Robert Jordan's books? I read them all up to Winter's Heart until I got fed up with his writing and promptly threw the book against the wall, but I distinctly remember blue being mentioned quite a bit. Maybe I am mistaken though...
Actually, my mod's going to have a 'Manetheran' theme to it, which is one of the foundations of the books. It's mostly something they talk about in the first book, but it comes up again several times. I was just always enthralled by the story; and since it's the first piece of history they go in to in the books, I thought it fitting.

(Sorry for the long wait for replies, been very busy here)
Old August 24, 2008, 01:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_BenD_over View Post
I would take a look at the Asus lineup of boards. The Rampage Extreme is a rather sexy board albeit a bit pricey
I was seriously looking in to the Rampage Extreme but I've never worked with liquid cooling before.
Old August 24, 2008, 01:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
The P45 motherboards are very good as well. Even though they operate at 8X when running in Crossfire, the PCI-E 2.0 should remove any bottleneck caused by the lack of bandwidth. However, since you want the board to be red or black, that's going to be a bit hard. I believe MSI's boards are red and black...You'd have to check. ASUS motherboards are black, and I definitely recommend the P5Q Pro. Check out Hardware Canuck's review on the P5Q Pro.

You may want to switch the cooler to the OCZ Vendetta 2 or a Xigmatek HDT S-1283.

You can get 4GB RAM running at DDR2-800 instead of 2GB at DDR2-1066. The 4GB would definitely be better, even if you're running 32bit OS.

For hard drives, take a look at the Seagate or Western Digital 640GB hard drives.
I was looking at the 600W StealthXStream because it's actually a 720W PSU that's branded as 600W. But I'll look in to the others for sure, thanks.

4GB RAM can be accessed by XP, but I've heard it messes up the dual channel functionality. Any truth to that? I've actually bee wondering about that for a while now.

Any reason for a Seagate over a Samsung? And I've had nothing but trouble with WD. Even if they have a long standing history of decent HDD, everything I get from them seems to be a dud. Same reason I don't buy eVGA cards, the fans on them ALWAYS die on me right away.