Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 21, 2008, 07:15 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If you're planning to run this machine as is for 2-3 years, I'd pick the quad-core. Rumor is that Windows 7 and DirectX 11 will make much better use of multi-core platforms than current games in the marketplace.

As for Mushkin, the HP's you've linked would be better. The lower the numbers shown for latency, the less cycles it takes to do a task. Not that there's anything wrong with the OCZ's you picked originally.

Also, most mobo's now only have 1 IDE connection, with a max of 2 devices. What's your DVD drive? You may have to pick up a SATA DVD drive.
Old August 21, 2008, 08:21 PM
Rookie

Awesome, so i think i will stick with the quad core. Might be an extra chunk of change, but over the long run, i think it'll be worth it.

For the difference, i think i'll go with the Mushkin HP. I've seen a bunch of people recommend them, and somehow, they look like they're made from a tank. I figure you can't go wrong with something that looks that serious.

The IDE thing shouldn't be a problem, my DVDRW is SATA (which has been a curst with my current mobo, since it can't boot from it) and even if something happens that i need the extra IDE connectors, i have a PCI SATA/IDE card that works pretty well, though i think i'll avoid it all together and get rid of all but two of my IDE HDs, maybe just use the others for offline backup.

Thanks again for the great advice.
Old August 21, 2008, 08:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

For the monitor, if you're willing to drop down to 22", the Acer 2216 is an excellent multimedia monitor. Many people have used it and they've got no complaints. It's cheap too. Just a suggestion =)

Like what Sugar said, if you don't plan on upgrading over the next 2 to 3 years, get the quad core. You can always overclock it, and depending on some applications, it'll be faster than the dual core. For gaming, the dual core will be faster, but gaming is largely GPU dependent as well.

I don't think you'll need to Crossfire. Run a single 4870 for now, and if you don't like the FPS you're getting, sell it and get a 4870X2. Or you can just get 2 4870 lol.

Happy building! =)
Old August 21, 2008, 09:18 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
For the monitor, if you're willing to drop down to 22", the Acer 2216 is an excellent multimedia monitor. Many people have used it and they've got no complaints. It's cheap too. Just a suggestion =)

Like what Sugar said, if you don't plan on upgrading over the next 2 to 3 years, get the quad core. You can always overclock it, and depending on some applications, it'll be faster than the dual core. For gaming, the dual core will be faster, but gaming is largely GPU dependent as well.

I don't think you'll need to Crossfire. Run a single 4870 for now, and if you don't like the FPS you're getting, sell it and get a 4870X2. Or you can just get 2 4870 lol.

Happy building! =)
I actually looked at that monitor, it is quite a price difference, but i had the chance to play Unreal Tournament 3 on a 24" monitor the other day, and that's something i just have to have (I'll also be using the monitor for watching movies until i get my 47" LCD in the next couple months or so)

Sounds like i'll be sticking with the Q9450, seems like the best bargain overall for what i'm looking for, thanks!

The 4870 X2 just sounds so awesome, i'm willing to make that the most expensive part in my purchase. I've always used ATI cards (upgrading from an X700) and i'm glad to be buying at a time when they have one of the best cards out there available. Any comments on Visiontek compared to Diamond, HIS, Asus and such? Like i said earlier, i read that visiontek would be best, but open to suggestions.