Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 19, 2008, 10:28 AM
Top Prospect

So I contacted directcanada and they pretty much said there's nothing they could do about the price of the q9550. Looks like I'm going to buy the processor at a separate store.

Has anyone ever shopped at PCVOnline before? If so, what are your experiences (i.e. shipping time, customer support)?
Old August 19, 2008, 11:24 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Price match it at NCIX, I know their service and shipping is pretty good. Plus it comes with World in Conflict.
Old August 19, 2008, 12:14 PM
Top Prospect

After visiting every single Canadian distributor, I've narrowed it down to these three options.

1) tddirect.ca, all components available, free shipping ($1,520.66 w/tax)
2) directcanada.com and pcvonline (CPU), free shipping @ directcanada, like $15 from pcvonline, total ($1,500)
3) NCIX, all components, ($1,586.82 w/tax, shipping, and price matches)

I'm leaning toward option #1. Have any of you ordered from tddirect.ca? What are your experiences?

I think I'll wait till tomorrow to order to see NCIX's back to school sales part deux.

*Edited, TDdirect.ca = bestdirect.ca
Old August 19, 2008, 12:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Nobody will be able to afford the Nehalem CPU when they are released. Their markup will be very high. Intel always releases their high-end stuff first, much like any other company. I don't think that Nehalem will be a big improvement. Expect the next one to be the better option since programmers will have some more knowledge of the logic and 32 nm. The rig you will be building will last for 2 years easily. Don't you worry about upgrading after Nehalem is released for some time.
Old August 20, 2008, 11:45 AM
Rookie

IMO that's not a bad build but I would make some changes.

Case: antec 1200
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...C&promoid=1014

HD: 500GB Seagate 32mb cach 7200.11
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...e&promoid=1014

CPU HS: Thermalright ULTRA-120 Extreme
NCIX.com - Buy Thermalright ULTRA-120 Extreme 6 Heatpipe Cooler LGA775 Heatsink *Fan Not Included* - ULTRA-120-EXTREME In Canada.

Finally if your going to go CF I wouldn't get a P45 board, your going to need a X38 or X48 board. Best brands out there are Asus, Gigabyte, DFI.
Old August 20, 2008, 11:57 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricknash61 View Post
After visiting every single Canadian distributor, I've narrowed it down to these three options.

1) tddirect.ca, all components available, free shipping ($1,520.66 w/tax)
2) directcanada.com and pcvonline (CPU), free shipping @ directcanada, like $15 from pcvonline, total ($1,500)
3) NCIX, all components, ($1,586.82 w/tax, shipping, and price matches)

I'm leaning toward option #1. Have any of you ordered from tddirect.ca? What are your experiences?

I think I'll wait till tomorrow to order to see NCIX's back to school sales part deux.

*Edited, TDdirect.ca = bestdirect.ca

Sorry for the double post but Ncix is a great place to buy your parts and and especially they got the price match. Too bad they don't offer free shipping on large orders. I just ordered parts for a whole new build. Should be getting it soon. Plus the back to school sale is great picked up a $200 sound card for $100. Not bad. Will see what does part 2 have in store Waiting for the 4870X2 to drop in price a bit so I can pick up a couple to CF also then wile price match for the best price. :)
Old August 20, 2008, 12:11 PM
Allstar
F@H

I know the feeling, I just ordered a whole new system's worth of parts, free shipping would be nice but then again I'm REALLY impatient when it comes to new toys, so I always get Purolator Air LOL. I'm hoping it gets here Friday, since my new toys are in the specs listed in my signature ;)
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old August 20, 2008, 02:19 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neolithium_Wpg View Post
I know the feeling, I just ordered a whole new system's worth of parts, free shipping would be nice but then again I'm REALLY impatient when it comes to new toys, so I always get Purolator Air LOL. I'm hoping it gets here Friday, since my new toys are in the specs listed in my signature ;)
nice new build you got there. My new build is as followed.

Antec 1200 case
Asus Rampage Formula
2X2GB DDR2 1066 Corsair Dominator
E8500 (already got a Q6600 Ill use which ever is better for my needs)
HX1000W (overkill but good for future proofing plus got it on sale)
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (going water cooling soon)
3X500GB Seagate Barracuda 2X Raid 0 and 1x backup
Razor Barracuda Sound Card
Windows Vista Ultimate
Evga 8800GTS 512mb (waiting for a price drop to pick up a pair of 4870X2 for CF)

That looks good enough for me, no more upgrades for a while after that :)
Old August 20, 2008, 02:22 PM
Allstar
F@H

Nice! I've read some very good things about the E8500's, and the Intel price drop really makes them worthwhile now.
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old August 20, 2008, 02:31 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neolithium_Wpg View Post
Nice! I've read some very good things about the E8500's, and the Intel price drop really makes them worthwhile now.

yep they are the E8400 was going for $169.99 and the E8500 was going for $179.99, so for that $10 more got the E8500 (more powerful) . I heard good thing about it overclocking very well on air so imagine what this thing will do on water :)