Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 11, 2008, 10:44 PM
Rookie

Default New Gaming PC

Hey guys, just stumbled upon this website earlier today while looking at info for a potential GFX card for my new PC. Just thought I'd post here to see if anyone could shed some light on potentially good/bad parts for a new PC I was building. I was building a PC on NCIX.com (using their PC builder -- still not sure if they ship you a built computer, or if they ship you the parts and you assemble it?), with a more-or-less budget of $3500 (of course, lower than that is still acceptable ).

This is the PC I've built, but I've got some questions regarding the parts on it.

1) Is DDR3 memory worth it? ie. Will I notice a genuine difference between 4GB of DDR2 and 4GB of DDR3 RAM?
2) If DDR3 is worth it, would I have to upgrade my motherboard to something like this, or would the board I've already selected be fine with it?
3) Is the CPU fan I selected any good? If not, what would be better? And -- is liquid cooling worth it, or is that only of use for overclocking?
4) My greatest dilemma right now is deciding on a GFX card. I was fairly set on getting dual GTX 280s, but then I found the motherboard I have selected now and I think it's quite a good one, and it only supports Crossfire. Then, as you can see, I moved over to dual HD 4870s, but after doing a bit more research I discovered that the HD 4870 x2 is supposed to be out this month, which seems like it will be able to top the performance of dual GTX 280s. Does it seem like ATI has finally topped nVidia, and I should wait around until the 4870 is out?

Thanks for all the help in advance.
Old August 11, 2008, 11:18 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Oy.

1st off, don't buy the prebuilt config like that. Buy the parts, use price compare (banner at top of page) and price match (on NCIX shopping cart at checkout) and pay $50 to have it assembled and OS installed if you're not comfortable doing that. I bet that same system would cost $300-400 less.

1. No. The difference in speed between DDR2 and DDR3 is not worth the extra money unless you are benchmarking or simply want THE fastest machine out there.

2.See #1. But that's a nice mobo you've listed. Overpriced though. I found it for $385.

3. Zalman coolers are overpriced and overrated IMO. See review for OCZ Vendetta 2 on this site, or TRUE Black if you want to spend money. Watercooling is for overclocking, or reducing fan noise. 95% overclocking.

4. 4870x2 released today. ATI is where it's at this week, bang for the buck. But what size monitor are you planning to run on? Don't waste your money on dual top of the line cards unless you've got like a 27 or 30" monitor running at 2500x1600. You won't be able to tell the difference between 300 and 400 FPS on CounterStrike on a 22" monitor. What I'm trying to say is, plan your build around your desired gaming resolution.

Edit: Also the QX9650 is end of line, being discontinued. You will be able to get the Q9650, same speed, for about $600 in a couple of weeks.
Old August 12, 2008, 01:06 AM
Hall Of Fame

Hi Wheezy..welcome.

Some of your questions will/would be easier to answer by answering these 2 questions.

1. What will the PC be used for?

2. Will you be overclocking?

Tanker
Old August 12, 2008, 08:04 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
1st off, don't buy the prebuilt config like that. Buy the parts, use price compare (banner at top of page) and price match (on NCIX shopping cart at checkout) and pay $50 to have it assembled and OS installed if you're not comfortable doing that. I bet that same system would cost $300-400 less.
The $50 for assembling it... as in have me pay someone $50 to do it or NCIX charges that much to assemble it?
Quote:
4. 4870x2 released today. ATI is where it's at this week, bang for the buck. But what size monitor are you planning to run on? Don't waste your money on dual top of the line cards unless you've got like a 27 or 30" monitor running at 2500x1600. You won't be able to tell the difference between 300 and 400 FPS on CounterStrike on a 22" monitor. What I'm trying to say is, plan your build around your desired gaming resolution.
Right now it would mainly be used on a 22" monitor (I plan on upgrading to at least 27" fairly soon), but I'd also like to be able to plug it into my 40" Samsung LCD every now and then.
Quote:
Edit: Also the QX9650 is end of line, being discontinued. You will be able to get the Q9650, same speed, for about $600 in a couple of weeks.
What's the difference between the QX and Q? I know the QX is "extreme" but what exactly is the difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Tanker View Post
Hi Wheezy..welcome.

Some of your questions will/would be easier to answer by answering these 2 questions.

1. What will the PC be used for?

2. Will you be overclocking?

Tanker
1) (casual) gaming , then more less-intensive stuff like Photoshop. I'd still use it for University whenever I have to write an essay or other simple stuff like that on the PC.
2) I don't plan on immediately doing that, but it's something I'd probably think about doing in the future.

Thanks for the help so far, hopefully I can find some site soon that sells the 4870 x2.
Old August 12, 2008, 08:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheezy View Post
The $50 for assembling it... as in have me pay someone $50 to do it or NCIX charges that much to assemble it?
That is what NCIX charges to assemble and install the OS.

Quote:
What's the difference between the QX and Q? I know the QX is "extreme" but what exactly is the difference?
The QX has an unlocked multiplier. I would save some money and go with the Q9650.

Quote:
1) (casual) gaming , then more less-intensive stuff like Photoshop. I'd still use it for University whenever I have to write an essay or other simple stuff like that on the PC.
2) I don't plan on immediately doing that, but it's something I'd probably think about doing in the future.
If you are going to be doing some graphic rendering and other stuff, than a Quad Core is for you.

Quote:
Right now it would mainly be used on a 22" monitor (I plan on upgrading to at least 27" fairly soon), but I'd also like to be able to plug it into my 40" Samsung LCD every now and then.
If you can afford it I would go with the 4870x2.

Next Build: E5200 @ 3.6GHz (333x11) | Xigmatek HDT-RS1283 HSF | Biostar TP43D2-A7 | Mushkin Redlines DDR2-1000 @ DDR2-999 5-5-5-12
EVGA 9600 GT 512MB - 650MHz - 1800MHz - 1626MHz | Seagate 'Cuda 250GB 7200rpm SATA2 | Corsair VX550 | CM690 - Custom Atomic Orange Pearl

[Heatware]
[eBay]
[Rosetta]
BALISTX.com
Old August 12, 2008, 08:32 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheezy View Post

Thanks for the help so far, hopefully I can find some site soon that sells the 4870 x2.
NCIX will assemble your parts and install OS for you for $50. It comes up as an option on your cart once you have case, mobo, cpu, and mem in your cart.

OK, your 22" max resolution is 1650x1050, and the max resolution on your TV is 1920x1080. A single 4870 will do very well at these resolutions. Most 27" monitors are max of 1920x1200, same as 24" so it will still do very well. And if it doesn't, then drop in another card.

The difference between the QX and the Q is an X. J/k. The extreme versions have an unlocked multiplier, handy for overclocking and keeping your memory speeds somewhat normal.

And NCIX has a very few of the 4870x2 in stock, expect them to be gone today.

If you don't plan on overclocking right away, that Rampage Formula is a waste of money. Tell you what, give me 15 minutes and I'll come back with a suggested build that will save you money and still be a screaming gamer. I'll stick with a Quad because they are very helpful in Photoshop, and Windows 7/DirectX11 which are supposed to come out next year will take more advantage of the multiple cores for gaming.
Old August 12, 2008, 09:06 AM
F@H

My System Specs

So, here's my suggest list: (including sources for cheapest price, no MIR's included)

Antec P182 - $122 - NX Source
Corsair TX750 - $125 - NCIX
Gigabyte EP45-DS3R mobo - $134 DirectCanada
Intel Q9550 - $370 Anitec Q9650 available soon for ~$600
Mushkin Redlines 4GB - $107 NX Source
Western Digital 640GB Drives x 2 - $73 each Compu2000
OCZ Vendetta 2 - $40 NCIX
4870x2 - $609 NCIX
Vista - $100
Gaming KB and Mouse - $125

Total with Q9550 - $1838
With Q9650 - $2068
Add $50 for assembly.

The Gigabyte boards are good overclockers, easy to use. You could put a Asus P5Q Pro in for $5 more, or a P5Q Deluxe for $65 more.

I included the 4870x2, because now you can afford to buy your 30" monitor. You're welcome.
Old August 12, 2008, 09:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Even though the Gigabyte EP35-DS3L is a great board, I would recommend going with the P5Q Pro simply because it will give you the option later on to crossfire if you decided to get a second 4870x2

Next Build: E5200 @ 3.6GHz (333x11) | Xigmatek HDT-RS1283 HSF | Biostar TP43D2-A7 | Mushkin Redlines DDR2-1000 @ DDR2-999 5-5-5-12
EVGA 9600 GT 512MB - 650MHz - 1800MHz - 1626MHz | Seagate 'Cuda 250GB 7200rpm SATA2 | Corsair VX550 | CM690 - Custom Atomic Orange Pearl

[Heatware]
[eBay]
[Rosetta]
BALISTX.com
Old August 12, 2008, 09:51 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I would go with the selected parts of Sugar; as for the Gigabyte board, the GA-EP45-DS3R supports CrossfireX.
Old August 12, 2008, 09:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
I would go with the selected parts of Sugar; as for the Gigabyte board, the GA-EP45-DS3R supports CrossfireX.
I'm blind I thought he said the DS3L not the DS3R. Then go for the Gigabyte board.

[Heatware]
[eBay]
[Rosetta]
BALISTX.com