Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 6, 2008, 01:17 PM
Top Prospect

Default Want to upgrade, but need some help.

It is finally time I upgraded my computer to something more to my tastes. But with the driver situation, I'm not sure where to move as far as video cards go. Currently I'm looking at either an AMD/ATI variant or an nVidia variant. So which would be better for linux gaming. The games that I plan to run are Sim City 4 (with a LOT of Plugins), Starcraft, Guild Wars, Tachyon (I like old games) and upcoming games like Cities XL (Monte Cristo), Starcraft II (Blizzard), and Guild Wars II (ArenaNet/NCSoft). Obviously, with the price of the cards I have a very narrow cash margin. I also plan on replacing the stock HSF on the one I buy with something a little more sufficient like this. If you got a better suggestion I would be thankful to hear it so I don't screw up.

Also I plan on watching Digital TV on my PC (as we get 2 HD stations in my area) so I was wondering if this was good for linux. Yes I know its more expensive than my graphics card. I will never upgrade to Vista.

As always, thank you for your time.
Old August 6, 2008, 01:55 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If you are set on running Linux, buy a Nvidia card. The driver support is much better that the ATI's, apparently.
Old August 6, 2008, 03:05 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I agree. Nvidia for Linux since ATI's support has never beem where it should.