Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 6, 2008, 12:18 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I want to know which monitor he has. If it is only HDCP enabled on a HDMI input then he can forget about using pretty much any Nvidia card without an adaptor.

Then again, if it is the 26" I think it is...I don't even think it is HDCP enabled at all.
Old August 6, 2008, 01:17 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I want to know which monitor he has. If it is only HDCP enabled on a HDMI input then he can forget about using pretty much any Nvidia card without an adaptor.

Then again, if it is the 26" I think it is...I don't even think it is HDCP enabled at all.
Hi Sky,

I have an NEC LCD2690WUXI at 1900x1200. it is HDCP enabled through the DVI-I and DVI-D ports.

Am I correct in assuming that all I need is an HDCP Blu-ray disc drive and a HDCP compliant video card now? I can ignore HDMI/HDCP in the motherboard, right?
Old August 6, 2008, 01:21 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Hi Phil. I see you live in TO judging from your choice of PC parts shop.

I am going to suggest that you take a look at Canada Computers who will assemble your system for you and seem to have better rpices than the shop you linked to.

Let's see if we can get you going here....

CPU: E7200 for $137
Mobo: P5Q-E for $173
RAM: Mushkin Redline 4GB for $70 after MIR
GPU: Palit HD4850 for $200
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 640GB for $90
Optical Drive: Pioneer 215-D for $30
Case: Silverstone Kublai for $123
PSU: Corsair VX550 for $78 after MIR

Now, that comes to a total of $901 by my calculations for a kick-ass system before installation and OS.

EDIT: ok, the PSU.
Thanks for lhelping me with this! You are correct I am in southern Ontario.

I tend to lean to the nVidia chipsets for the 3D geological applications I use. I've run into trouble with the OpenGL on some ATI graphics in the past. Is the HD4850 much better than the 8800GT?

I will look at all the items you suggest.
Old August 6, 2008, 01:41 PM
Top Prospect

Are the Antec cases and power supplies of good quality?
Old August 6, 2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philthygeezer View Post
Hi Sky,

I have an NEC LCD2690WUXI at 1900x1200. it is HDCP enabled through the DVI-I and DVI-D ports.

Am I correct in assuming that all I need is an HDCP Blu-ray disc drive and a HDCP compliant video card now? I can ignore HDMI/HDCP in the motherboard, right?
If you are going to be watching movies I would recommend going with an ATI card. I am not a huge fan or Nvidia's PurevideoHD and even a HD4850 will provide you with HD audio-out through HDMI. ALL HD4850 cards come with a DVI to HDMI dongle which is another benefit for you.

Quote:
Is the HD4850 much better than the 8800GT?
Check our HD4850 review.

Quote:
Are the Antec cases and power supplies of good quality?
Antech PSUs are hit and miss. Their cases all come down to personal preference but I can't stand their 300 or 900 series. They are very hard to work in IMO.
Old August 7, 2008, 10:28 AM
Top Prospect

I'm going to take your sage advice on the video card as I'm running some geological software on a mobile Radeon X1400 and it all seems to run fine. Perhaps my old fears over driver issues have been long since fixed. I'll go with the Asus card to keep everything as unified as possible.

I like the P5Q-E as I could add another EAD4850 and run it crossfire mode as well.

For the case, I like the perforated side on the Silverstone. However, I like the exposed ports, filter screens, the top fan and lowered power supply of the Antec, but does this inhibit airflow to the video card? A little tight is OK - but I want cool so the fans never power up much.

How about:

CPU:
E7200 for $137
Mobo: Asus P5Q-E for $173
RAM: Mushkin Redline 4GB for $70 after MIR
GPU: Asus EAH4850 for $189 after MIR
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 640GB for $90
Optical Drive: Asus Blu-Ray/DVD-RW/CD+-R for $158
Case: Antec Three Hundred for $56
PSU: Corsair VX550 for $78 after MIR

Price: $951 all up.
Old August 7, 2008, 11:02 AM

Looks good to me but I am not a fan of the 300-series. Then again, it won't be you installing stuff into it so....go for it.
Old August 7, 2008, 02:42 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Looks good to me but I am not a fan of the 300-series. Then again, it won't be you installing stuff into it so....go for it.
I'm worried about the drive bays coming up against the P5Q-E SATA connectors in the Kublai.

I'm also worried about the 4 pin power adapter at the top of the MOBO interfering with the top fan on the Antec 300. You're right the drives also look damn close to the MOBO. Video card could be a pain.

What do you think of the Antec P182 or Coolermaster 590?
Old August 7, 2008, 03:04 PM

Personally, I love the Gigabyte Aurora 570.

NXSource.com - Buy Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 Black Aluminum ATX Tower Case 5X5.25 2X3.5 5X3.5INT No PS W/ Window
Old August 7, 2008, 03:15 PM
Rookie

what about the antec sonata III? comes with a pretty good 500W PSU (I have one myself)