Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 4, 2008, 12:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

This is a little after the fact, but I just did a burn on my main system, with a quad core at 4.0Ghz, a GTX280 clocked pretty high (core-777/shader-1620/mem-1404), with 10 fans and two water pumps. I used OCCT and a fur demo to try and get the system pulling as much power as possible, and used my UPS to track power consumption.

The highest consumption that I was able to obtain was 495W from the wall outlet. When you factor in the 80%-ish efficiency, thats around 400-425W actually used by the system itself.

So it's your call, but my vote says that the 620 will handle things fine.
Old August 4, 2008, 01:07 PM
Rookie

Ok, and if I try it with all 8 hard drives, fans, etc, and there is not enough juice will it just shut off, or will it explode, burn down my house, and short out all my components?

Is the fail harmless or will it ruin something?
Old August 4, 2008, 01:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkness View Post
OK thanks, I was hoping to avoid the purchase of a new power supply, the upgrade planned is at the max of the budget, maybe I will just get a gtx 260 instead. Then I won't have to worry about power. When I bought the 620 it was to last me many years, not 18 months LOL!
Anyone who thinks into the future with computers doesn't understand how volatile the computer market is.
Old August 4, 2008, 01:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkness View Post
Ok, and if I try it with all 8 hard drives, fans, etc, and there is not enough juice will it just shut off, or will it explode, burn down my house, and short out all my components?

Is the fail harmless or will it ruin something?
Under powering components is just as bad.