Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 4, 2008, 04:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

side note, off topic: how are CF 4870s? Im either going to get that, or a 4870x2
Old August 4, 2008, 11:49 PM
Top Prospect

For my two cents I'd keep the motherboard, and the PSU, and I'd order an ATI 4870. PSU will come in handy when you install the second 4870, when the prices drop a little :-) Pretty hard to beat PC Power and Cooling. I'd also consider the Western Digital 640 GB HD. Very fast and very affordable. I think NCIX and Direct Canada have them on for around 75.00.
Not that I have a big problem with Nvidia, however there are some chinks showing in their armor as far as issues with their newer chipsets, and sli being a little more finiky than Crossfire. Besides that it's only just now that they are seeing the light of day price wise. When the competition wan't there from ATI Nvidia sure didn't have any problems milking anyone who wanted a higher end video card. Now of course their tune has changed and prices are plumeting. I like good value and good product. Hard to go wrong with ATI these days.
Good luck with the build.
Old August 5, 2008, 03:08 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the advice guys

Ordered it from ncix came to 1636 with tax and s/h!
Old August 5, 2008, 03:41 PM
Rookie

great choice on the power supply, 4 native pcie power cables for the 4870 cf :P
Old August 5, 2008, 04:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I put another card in at the WE. Apart from losing DVI due to some random issue with my monitor I have been surprised how smooth they are in : Crysis, COH, COD4, GRID. Im still using 8.6 as well. To be honest I wasn't expecting the cards to run so smooth after hearing all the problems with cf and SLI in general. Two of them are so damn fast!!

Looking forward very much to SKY's cf review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia View Post
side note, off topic: how are CF 4870s? Im either going to get that, or a 4870x2

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.