Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 1, 2008, 12:04 AM
Rookie

Default Help with first build

Hey, Im new here and I am looking to build my first PC. I am knowledgeable with most stuff with PC hardware, but I haven't got a new computer in years, so I figured it was to get a new one and build it myself.

Here is the thing. Since my old PC is old, anything will be an upgrade. I use my PC for web, word processing and those kind of things, light computer programming and light gaming. The games I play on PC's are RTS, so I would need it to be able to play Starcraft 2 when it comes out, AOE 3 and games like that. I know these games aren't that demanding, and I dont think these kinds of games ever will be that demanding.

For the major parts of my PC, I was going to get:
*a 320GB sata 2 HDD(Too much or to little?)
*E8400 Processor(Seems like the stuff I do might not need this much processor, should I go more or less?)
*9600GT or GSO video card(again, this might be too much GPU for me, what do you think about this for my needs?)
*2-4GB of ram, (I was going to start with 2, then see if I should upgrade to 3 or 4.)
*P5N-E sli motherboard(ok?)
*for my PSU, I want an 80+ PSU in the 400-500 watt range, I was considering a Corsair 450 watt PSU.

These things are the items that I am unsure of in my new unit. As I have not experienced anything beyond a moderate XP run computer(I am going to get Vista now) I have no idea what my potential build will run like. So help on my issue is much appreciated.
Old August 1, 2008, 01:13 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterTrooper View Post
Hey, Im new here and I am looking to build my first PC. I am knowledgeable with most stuff with PC hardware, but I haven't got a new computer in years, so I figured it was to get a new one and build it myself.

Here is the thing. Since my old PC is old, anything will be an upgrade. I use my PC for web, word processing and those kind of things, light computer programming and light gaming. The games I play on PC's are RTS, so I would need it to be able to play Starcraft 2 when it comes out, AOE 3 and games like that. I know these games aren't that demanding, and I dont think these kinds of games ever will be that demanding.

For the major parts of my PC, I was going to get:
*E8400 Processor(Seems like the stuff I do might not need this much processor, should I go more or less?)
*9600GT or GSO video card(again, this might be too much GPU for me, what do you think about this for my needs?)
*2-4GB of ram, (I was going to start with 2, then see if I should upgrade to 3 or 4.)
*for my PSU, I want an 80+ PSU in the 400-500 watt range, I was considering a Corsair 450 watt PSU.

These things are the items that I am unsure of in my new unit. As I have not experienced anything beyond a moderate XP run computer(I am going to get Vista now) I have no idea what my potential build will run like. So help on my issue is much appreciated.

320GB sata 2 HDD - 640 is better value, and you won't have to get a second one later, but for what you've described, 320 should be good (I wouldn't go lower)
E8400 Processor - Good choice, its not really overkill
9600GT - This should be good or you could go with the HD 4850
2x2Gb Ram is more then enough
P5N-E sli motherboard - Not sure, but there are better choices (I'll let someone else suggest on this)
PSU - Corsair 450 watt PSU - I wouldn't go under 500 watt, but it should be enough, so long as you don't upgrade

Oh and make sure that your getting Vista 64 bit, not 32bit
Old August 1, 2008, 08:08 AM
MVP
F@H

I agree with Jon and have no experience with that mobo either.
You say you'll go with 2GB ram and maybe upgrade latter. If you are going with Vista I recomend 2x2Gb ram. Two 2GB sticks will stress your mobo less than 4x1GB sticks and with Vista, 4GB is a good choice. 4GB kits are pretty cheap right now so I'd just go straight to that.
Old August 1, 2008, 08:30 AM
Allstar
F@H

Get 2 500GB Barrucuda 7200.11, very good hard drive and they are like 10$ pricier.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...acture=Seagate
Excellent choice of processor, make sure to get an Aftermarket Heatsink, I would suggest the OCZ Vendetta II. I got my E8500 this week and the processor is a joke.

Heatsink OCZ Vendetta II
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...Z%20Technology

For the same price you could yourself a decent ATI HD4850 which perform better than most of the card from the 9 series, remember a 4850 is on almost on par with a GTX260 and 9800GTX.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...acture=Diamond

If you don't plan to overclock, you can yourself some real cheap DDR2 ram from OCZ and there is a good deal on Corsair ram aswell. The price is cheap not the actual product.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...acture=CORSAIR

This motherboard is overpriced, you can get another one with more features. You could also get this one, which has crossfire support, if you decide the ATI alternative.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...nufacture=ASUS

I dunno if Corsair got 80+ certified power supply yet, but ANTEC release a series called Earthpower. They are good PSU.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...ufacture=ANTEC

That should be a good setup that way, you already had a good start choosing the parts. But what are you going to do with that computer?
CPU Intel Core i7 2700K 3.5GHZ
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V
Memory Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II
Sound Card ASUS Xonar DX
Old August 1, 2008, 10:07 AM
F@H

My System Specs

HD - get as big as you can afford, but the 320 is the minimum size I build systems with now. You can get a 640 for about $75 now.

CPU - excellent choice

GPU - as noted above, the 4850 is the same price range and a better card.

RAM - go 4GB. Vista uses about 1GB just for the operating system. I know you can't address more than 3GB with 32bit, but I still think it's worthwhile.

MB - I have a P5N-E, it's a bastardized SLI board X16/X4. As for RTS games being undemanding on hardware, World in Conflict and Company of Heroes beg to differ. If you plan on a single GPU single hard drive setup, pick up a Gigabyte EP35-DS3L or EP45-DS3L. Asus P5Q series are nice boards too.

PSU - I'd probably look at a 600w PSU in case you do decide to go Crossfire or SLI somewhere down the line. Corsair, OCZ and Coolermaster are my current recommendations in this size.
Old August 1, 2008, 08:48 PM
Rookie

Wow, thanks for all the responses, I will look into your suggestions for sure. Question though, how long before this PC will be outdated for my needs? As I stated above, I wont be doing hardcore gaming, I have a 360 for that, so it is basically RTS games and older games that I enjoy playing as well as internet, word processing and listening to music and other small stuff, nothing major.
Old August 1, 2008, 09:10 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Do NOT get the P5N-E SLI. Horrible motherboard IMO. Worst memory compatibility ever though it can work after tweaking the settings, but it's not for the inexperienced.

I'd recommend a motherboard based on the P45 chipset such as the Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L or DS3R or the ASUS P5Q-E/Deluxe/Pro.

The 8800GT can be had for the same price or less than a 9600GT so you'd be better off with the 8800GT instead. I just got a HD4850 though and it's a pretty nice card too. All depends on how much you're willing to spend I guess.

I'd go with a 650W Corsair PSU just so you have room to expand.