Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 30, 2008, 12:42 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
2.75Gb for 32 bit. I've been running Vista 64 bit premium since January, I've yet to see any game use more than 2 Gb. If you are strictly a gamer/surfer/divx watcher, 32 bit is fine. If you multitask, photoshop, video edit, then go for 64 bit and the extra memory.
32-bit = memory addressing 4 294 967 296 bytes, ie. 4GB. More than system RAM is allocated here. So, the system needs to reserve some memory to map out the rest of your devices, the largest portion of which is your video card (or cards, in my case). So, if you have a 512MB video card and 4GB of RAM in a 32-bit environment, at MOST 3.5GB of your RAM will be usable, as 512MB of address space was allocated to your video card, but in most cases it will be even less than 3.5 due to other devices.

Vista introduces software limits, though. Vista 32 = 3.12GB. x64: Vista Home = 8GB (or 4? I forget), Vista Premium = 16GB (or 8, again I forget), Vista Ultimate/Business/blahblahblah = 128GB.
Old July 30, 2008, 01:35 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaRox View Post
32-bit can only run 32- and 16-bit (useless now) software while 64-bit can run 64- and 32-bit. I'd go with Vista x64. It may use more RAM, but its actually putting that RAM to use by speeding up searches effectively and preloading common used programs. When you actually start to need the RAM that Vista is using, it will push more of the unnecessary OS functions into the page file. Everyone moans about how much RAM Vista uses, but it is actually putting it to good use. No point having 4GB of ram if 3GB of it is always sitting free.

I dunno anything about that keyboard, but if it really is cheap as dirt, I'd recommend a better keyboard, especially for gaming. I used to use a $15 Microsoft keyboard and then I moved to my Logitech G15 and it has been one of the most worthwhile upgrades.
Thanks for that, i'll go with 64-bit and have a look at the g15

Last edited by SuperFriedFish; July 30, 2008 at 01:43 PM.
Old July 31, 2008, 02:51 PM
Top Prospect

just ordered
except graphics card, out of stock