Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 30, 2008, 02:28 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
You aren't a hardcore gamer, but you're going for dual 4870s? Damn... Well, I did the same too! You'll be quite pleased with the cards, especially knowing that the drivers will get better.

Now, regarding that statement: "trying to be as "future proofed" as one can be with computers (ie: not outdated the same week we take delivery". Now, you do know that this will happen, right? It won't take a week, but it will happen...
Well I'd put myself a couple of steps below hardcore, I like a couple to play TF2, CSS and think nothing of wasting a few hours playing DoDS, amonst other. But I get tired of trying to squeez a couple of extra FPS by setting the quality lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -n7- View Post
Welcome to the forums :)

What resolution is your monitor?
Um good question - I feel like a noob not beign able to answer that one, but in my defence I am at work right now but I am using 22" wides

I can't say i'd really recommend two HD 4870s due to the lacking vRAM unless you are only doing 1680x1050.
And if you are only doing 1680x1050, why bother with CF/SLi & all the associated hassles when a single card would do fine.

There is no such thing as future proof when it comes to video cards.
Buy a good one now, & sell it & get another when the new one you want comes out.

I'd likely suggest a GTX 280 if you are doing 1920x1200+, as i never recommend CF/SLI for many reasons.

I have read a lot of pros/cons over Xfire/SLi versus a single card I am going to stick with the Xfire and hope that drivers are at an advanced enough point that it is not a constant fight, we'll see what happens with that

DFI OCing mobo without heavy OCing = unncessary, & likely overly frustrating for you.
They are great mobos, but not for the n00bs.
Love to tweak things in the bios for days on days?
Oh yeah! Not new to pc's, been playing with them for the last 24 years or so, but I have been out of the PC/Windows loop for quite a while
happily doing my thing on Macs (except for gaming ), and I don't think gaming on a Mac will be under going any radical change in the near future. And I do believe the misses would much rather me have my own gaming rig, instead of waiting for her to leave her chair and have me try and sneek in a few quick frags. And I do miss the PC days of trying to tweak for that extra few Mhz, not much happening on that front with a Mac either
Get a DFI.
Don't want to do that?
Don't get a DFI.

That's a gross oversimplification, but i see way too many n00bs complaining about their uber high end DFIs since they have no clue what they are doing.

Get an Asus P5Q Deluxe or P5Q-E.
Those will handle easy n00b friendly OCing or a lot more advanced if you so desire without as many headaches.

DDR2-1066 is overclocking RAM...for no OCing, just get some good value DDR2-800, seriously.
DDR2-1000 Redlines on sale would be more than fine, OCing or not. Noted !

And yes, 640 GB WD or 640 GB Seagate ftw...they use the newer design of only two platters.
Faster, quieter, less power draw.Will look into the 640s'!
Old July 30, 2008, 03:14 PM
Top Prospect

I'll recommend not to buy a second 4870. One will be more than enough for now and buy the second in some months or even a year when the drivers will be optimized, the card will be chaeaper and with better cooling.

For the PSU with your planned system, it depends if you plan to overclock. If no, the corsair 750w will be enough, but if you overclock your quad, it will be short with something like 85-90% of usage on full load (if I can trust eXtreme psu power calculator).

AthlonX2 4600+ @ 3.0Ghz (tweaked by Ebdoradz) | Gigabyte MA790X-DS4 | 2x1GB Mushkin HP PC2-6400 @ 860Mhz | Silverstone Strider 500W PSU | Palit Radeon HD 3850 @ 720Mhz/1.76Ghz on 22" Acer X223w monitor | Thermaltake SopranoRS 101 | 1 x Seagate 250GB
Old July 31, 2008, 11:14 AM
Rookie

I would also just get one 4870 right now and get a second one (if you think you need it after using one) during a big sale like Black Friday or Boxing Week - and that time frame might line up well with stock clearance sales as new cards come along for xmas :D

The Antec 850W PSU is only sale @ NCIX this week so I'd definitely get that.

You should be fine with DDR2-800 if you want to save a couple bucks. It'll still OC the Q9450 to 3.2Ghz as well, which is when you'll need an aftermarket cooler. I like the Sunbeam Core Contact HSF. Very similar to the Xigmatek design but you don't need to get a seperate retention bracket, the 'clip on' bracket it comes with is quite sturdy and really easy to install.

With all that in mind... you could also wait a couple of weeks (mid August) for two reasons: the 4870x2 will be out, which you may or may not be interested in but you could just get that and a cheaper P45 board and not worry about Crossfire; and two, back to school sales!

Scythe SSF21E fans have fluid bearings and long life if you're looking for good and quiet 120mm case fans. I'd prefer the cheaper Coolermaster 690 case as well, it's very similar to the Antec (lots of space, great cooling).

And don't forget to pricematch everything via shopbot.ca and HWC's priceshopper

Cheers and good luck!
Old July 31, 2008, 04:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

hmm... i think you missed $109 hx620... but you can get it for 139 now...i think it would be very prefect PSU than tw750...

what kind of muskhin do you bought? echanced or ascent?

very similar as mine
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.
Old July 31, 2008, 07:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

The silencer 750watt is going pretty cheap these days at NCIX. Peak load is 800watts or so and it is rated at 750watts sustained. Enough to take 2 x 4870s and your specs anyway. That Antec suggested maybe the best option though.

Personally I think its a gamble to buy 2x4870's but if it pays off then youll be able to play future games at very high details on your monitor. Thats what I'm banking on anyway. Also DFI boards are more enthusiast orientated but they are not too unforgiving. The DFI X48 is a nice board and there are some good guides out there to help you. I love this X38 T2R LT. Just remember in a few short weeks the 4870X2 will be avaliable.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old July 31, 2008, 08:47 PM
Rookie

Default Build revised...

Ok so with the input from everyone so far, I have revised our build lists as follows...

Updated the PSU to the Antec, The Quattro was my original choice but I waffled a bit and thought about the Corsair units, but decided to stick with the Antec, all these years, and we have never had a problem with an Antec unit (unlike some other "go BOOM" in the night brands )

Stuck with the ASUS DVD drive, as it is the only SATA DVD-ROM NCIX offers, and I would like to stick with the easier to clean up smaller cables (yes I do know they have come out with round IDE cables in the last century )

And Liked the specs on the 640 drives over the 500 I had originally eyeballed, and a few extra gigs never hurt anyone.

1 x Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Quad Core Processor LGA775 2.66GHZ Yorkfield 1333FSB 12MB OEM No HSF
1 x Thermalright ULTRA-120 Extreme 6 Heatpipe Cooler LGA775 Heatsink *Fan Not Included*
1 x DFI LP UT X48-T2R Intel X48 ATX LGA775 DDR2 2PCI-E CrossFire SATA2 RAID 1394 Sound 2GLAN Motherboard
1 x Mushkin XP PC2-8500 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-1066 CL5-5-5-15 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit *IR-$25.00*
1 x Diamond Radeon HD 4870 512MB GDDR5 PCI-E 2XDVI-I Video Card *IR-$15.00*
1 x Antec Nine Hundred Mid Tower Gamer Case 900 ATX 9 Drive Bay No PS Top USB2.0 1394 Audio
1 x Antec Truepower Quattro 850W Power Supply ATX V2.2 EPS12V 20/24PIN Active PFC 80PLUS Dual 8PIN PCI-E
1 x Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition 64BIT DVD OEM
2 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 640GB 3.5IN SATA2 7200RPM 32MB Cache NCQ Hard Drive OEM *5Y *IR-$10.00*
1 x Samsung 203S TruDirect 20X SATA DVD Writer Lightscribe Black OEM W/ Software
1 x ASUS 16X DVD-ROM Drive SATA Retail Box W/ Black & Beige Faceplates

For CTA, I don't know if they are Ascent or Enhanced to be honest, operantly NCIX has the wrong picture up, and I haven't slipped over tp the Mushkin site to really check - it has been a constant back and for between these and the Redline 8000.

Magictorch, I have already been reading up on this board over at the DFI forums to get a feel for this mobo.

Kosh that was originally my thinking with the 4870s' as well, and I think we'll follow my original thoughts, and probably add a second card a bit down the road.

Thanks again to everyone for the replies, greatly appreciated!
Old July 31, 2008, 09:05 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm just wondering why bother putting an ASUS DVD-ROM in? It's slower than your Samsung. Just put in two multi-writers if you copy that many DVD's. What's the price difference? $8?

BTW, I have both Asus and Samsung multi-writers, they both work very well.