Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 26, 2008, 07:53 AM
Rookie

Default I wanna build a comp... any suggestions

Heres what i was thinking of putting in my build with most parts bought at directcanada.com

- CASE - i really wanted to get the xclio twin engine a380 case but i cant find it anywhere, so if you guys could help me on that you would be my hero, but for the time being this case would do for me

Tagan el diablo black atx case Tagan EL-DIABLO Black ATX Case 5X5.25 1X3.5 7X3.5INT No PS W/ Mesh Side Windows Front Blue LED Fan - DirectCanada

Tagan Aplus EL Diablo Case - Black - thers some specs on it

- MOBO - asus p5n-d 7501 sli mobo
ASUS P5N-D 750I SLI LGA775 ATX DDR2 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI 1394A GBLAN Motherboard - DirectCanada

Asus P5N-D Motherboard - NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI, Socket 775, ATX, Audio, PCI Express 2.0, Gigabit LAN, SPDIF, USB 2.0, Firewire, Serial ATA, RAID in Canada at TigerDirect.ca - a better review

- CPU - Q6600 2.4ghz 1066mhz Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Quad Core Processor LGA775 Kentsfield 2.40GHZ 1066FSB 8MB Retail Box - DirectCanada

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Processor HH80562PH0568M - 2.40GHz, 8MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB, Kentsfield, Quad-Core, OEM, Socket 775, Processor in Canada at TigerDirect.ca - spec

- CPU FAN - thermaltake max orb cpu fan Canada Computers - Cooling > CPU Cooling : Thermaltake CL-P0369 Max Orb CPU Cooler for Intel Socket 775 & AMD 64 754/939 & AM2.

- GRAPHICS - xfx 9800gx2 XFX GeForce 9800GX2 600MHZ 1GB 2.0GHZ DDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDMI HDCP Video Card - DirectCanada

- MEMORY - ocz ddr2 reaperx 4gb OCZ Reaperx Hpc Edition PC2-6400 DDR2 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-800 CL4-4-3-15 Dual Channel Memory Kit - DirectCanada

- HARD DRIVE - (2)seagate barracuda 7200.10 250gb 16mb cache Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB SATA2 8.5MS 7200RPM 16MB Cache Hard Drive OEM 5YR MFR Warranty - DirectCanada

- PSU - tagan TG800-U88 BZ 800W Modular Power Supplier Canada Computers - Power Supplies/Management > Desktop Power Supplies : Tagan TG800-U88 BZ 800W Modular Power Supplier.

- DISK DRIVE - LG dvd LG G-H20NS10 Black DVD+RW 20X8X16 DVD-RW 20X6X16 INT SATA OEM DVD Writer - DirectCanada

- OPERATING SYSTEM - windows vista home prem-64 bit Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition 64BIT DVD OEM - DirectCanada

- OTHER ACCESORIES - Razer taranchula (to go with the razer death adder i have now)

Hp 22" lcd wide Moniter Future Shop: Computers: Monitors: HP 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor (W2207H)=

If theres anything you may think im missing or you just like to make any suggestions or comments fell free to reply back!
Old July 26, 2008, 08:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you're only going to use one card I highly suggest getting a P45 chipset mothboard like the ASUS P5Q Pro. Also, crossfire scales much better than SLI. Really it's up to you if you want to use nvidia or ATI, but I highly suggest using ATI this time around. The Radeon 4870 is one hell of a card, and performs very close to GTX 280 levels on some fronts. Honestly the best bang for the buck there.

The heatsink: Get a Noctua NH-U12P, Sunbeam Core Contact, or Xigmatek HDT-S1283 heatsink. Those perform the best without breaking your bank.

CPU: Gaming or multitasking? The E8400 is at a great price for a gaming machine. Unless you're doing lots of video editing or photoshopping I highly suggest the E8400. That CPU can overclock easily over 4 GHz with air cooling.

HDD: 7200.11 drives are much more stable, reliable and quieter to top it off. Samsung Spinpoint F1's are really good as well.

RAM: Well, those are pretty crazy sets of RAM, but like most HWC guys here would say, "Get some Mushkin Ascents". Very stable and the build quality is astounding. Stop over at NCIX forums to get some info from MushkinGreg to get some decent timings to get the best out of your RAM.

OS: If you're going Vista, may as well go all out and get Ultimate 64-bit. Why not?

PSU: I can't decide on a good PSU. I personally own a Corsair HX620 and is absolutely amazing. 600-700W is more than enough with your setup.

DVD: Pioneer DVR-115DBK is a good choice. Pioneer has some really good DVD writers out there.

MONITOR: Samsung is the way to go my friend. The 2253BW is the way to go.

Anyway, I'm sure some other people will have their own comments. My $0.02 is spent!

EDIT: Oh yea. NCIX has a Price Match feature so if you want to try that, by all means!
Old July 26, 2008, 09:03 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I have a almost brand new, March, PC build that I have no desire to change right now but it hasn't stopped me from engaging in "What if" scenarios.

Nothing wrong with the parts you selected but I would seriously consider an X48 mobo and two 4870's in X-fire. It's all about bang for the buck and you are willing to spend some significant $$$ obviously. You could have a kick-ass PC.

Listen to Bojangles' suggestions, some good advice there, too
Old July 26, 2008, 09:24 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
If you're only going to use one card I highly suggest getting a P45 chipset mothboard like the ASUS P5Q Pro. Also, crossfire scales much better than SLI. Really it's up to you if you want to use nvidia or ATI, but I highly suggest using ATI this time around. The Radeon 4870 is one hell of a card, and performs very close to GTX 280 levels on some fronts. Honestly the best bang for the buck there.

The heatsink: Get a Noctua NH-U12P, Sunbeam Core Contact, or Xigmatek HDT-S1283 heatsink. Those perform the best without breaking your bank.

CPU: Gaming or multitasking? The E8400 is at a great price for a gaming machine. Unless you're doing lots of video editing or photoshopping I highly suggest the E8400. That CPU can overclock easily over 4 GHz with air cooling.

HDD: 7200.11 drives are much more stable, reliable and quieter to top it off. Samsung Spinpoint F1's are really good as well.

RAM: Well, those are pretty crazy sets of RAM, but like most HWC guys here would say, "Get some Mushkin Ascents". Very stable and the build quality is astounding. Stop over at NCIX forums to get some info from MushkinGreg to get some decent timings to get the best out of your RAM.

OS: If you're going Vista, may as well go all out and get Ultimate 64-bit. Why not?

PSU: I can't decide on a good PSU. I personally own a Corsair HX620 and is absolutely amazing. 600-700W is more than enough with your setup.

DVD: Pioneer DVR-115DBK is a good choice. Pioneer has some really good DVD writers out there.

MONITOR: Samsung is the way to go my friend. The 2253BW is the way to go.

Anyway, I'm sure some other people will have their own comments. My $0.02 is spent!

EDIT: Oh yea. NCIX has a Price Match feature so if you want to try that, by all means!
ya i had ati products in my first build but i decided to go with nvidia so mabe if your saying that say a diamond viper radeon hd 3870x2 would be better than a 9800gx2 then i might just have to switch my ideas back to ati?... o and was the mobo you were thinking of this one Asus P5Q Pro Atx LGA775 P45 DDR2 2PCI-E16 Crossfire 3PCI-E1 2PCI SATA2 Sound Gblan Esata Motherboard - DirectCanada id also consider this mobo if theres a differece between the pro and deluxe Asus P5Q Deluxe Atx LGA775 P45 DDR2 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI SATA2 Sound Gblan Esata 1394 Motherboard - DirectCanada
Old July 26, 2008, 10:02 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumph View Post
ya i had ati products in my first build but i decided to go with nvidia so mabe if your saying that say a diamond viper radeon hd 3870x2 would be better than a 9800gx2 then i might just have to switch my ideas back to ati?... o and was the mobo you were thinking of this one Asus P5Q Pro Atx LGA775 P45 DDR2 2PCI-E16 Crossfire 3PCI-E1 2PCI SATA2 Sound Gblan Esata Motherboard - DirectCanada id also consider this mobo if theres a differece between the pro and deluxe Asus P5Q Deluxe Atx LGA775 P45 DDR2 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI SATA2 Sound Gblan Esata 1394 Motherboard - DirectCanada
The Deluxe has better cooling and better power delivery. The deluxe is 16 phase and the pro is only 8 phase. Deluxe also has dual Ethernet, Firewire, eSATA.

The HD3870X2 is not better than the 9800GX2 to my knowledge. The HD4870X2 will be the fastest card though when it comes out, or should be at least.
Old July 26, 2008, 10:04 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
The Deluxe has better cooling and better power delivery. The deluxe is 16 phase and the pro is only 8 phase. Deluxe also has dual Ethernet, Firewire, eSATA.

The HD3870X2 is not better than the 9800GX2 to my knowledge. The HD4870X2 will be the fastest card though when it comes out, or should be at least.

when does the 4870x2 come out do you know??? price???
Old July 26, 2008, 04:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The 4870X2 is due sometime in August (13th?). It will perform much better than the 3870X2 because it now features communication between the GPUs, instead of each one operating individually. That should make up better use of memory bandwidth. From released previews, it looks like it may even perform better than sticking two 4870s in Crossfire. I think the price was estimated to be around $499, but take that with a grain of salt at first launch.

Oh, and yes that is the board I was talking about. The P5Q-E is also a good mention too (pretty much the same, but better heatsinks on the MOSFETs and NB/SB lol). There is simply no need for the Deluxe edition. The Pro or P5Q-E are the way to go. The reason I say this is because most people will not have use for the 4x electrically connected PCI-E x16 slot. Waste of money IMHO.
Old July 26, 2008, 07:20 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
The 4870X2 is due sometime in August (13th?).
12th.