Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 25, 2008, 05:35 PM
Rookie

Default Yuppers... *another* New Build!

First off, I’d like to say that I’m 100% new to this forum, and also 100% Canadian (Nova Scotia)! I’ve been visiting HWC almost daily since the release of their Radeon 4870 review (Awesome job on that!) after realizing HWC has the best reviews on the web.. bar none! Anyway, I’ll get down to it… I'm planning on buying myself a new computer within the next week. Through my research, I think I've compiled a fairly decent rig here.

Without further ado… the list!

CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 (Woot for new lower prices!!)
MB - ASUS P5Q-E
Video Card - Diamond Radeon HD 4870 Xoc Black Edition
RAM - G.Skill 4gigs (2x2) PC2 8500 DDR2-1066
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 500GB (Mass Storage), Seagate Barracuda 250GB (OS, Programs)
Drive - LG G-H20NS10 DVD+RW 20X8X16 (Blue Ray soon to come)
OS - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Ed.
PSU - OCZ GameXStream 700W
Case - Antec 300 (The Antec 900 looks utterly ridiculous in my opinion, so that’s out of the question… and the Antec 1200 is just too freaking expensive.)
Case Fans - 3 Antec Tricool 120mm
CPU Heatsink - TRUE120 Black Edition (If it fits)
CPU Heatsink fan - Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F (63.7CFM at 28.0 DBA, 1600RPM)
CPU Thermal Compund - Arctic Silver 5 (Any better suggestions?)
GPU Heatsink - Suggestions appreciated! (Not the "HR-03 GT"... that combined with the TRUE120 will make my case unbelievably cramped… I think)
Sound Card - HT Omega Striker 7.1
Moniter - Samsung Syncmaster 2253BW 22IN

Total build cost – $1646.91 (Without taxes. Budget is $2000) – This does not include the GPU heatsink. Everything being purchased at Canada Direct.

******A few other notes****** I plan on overclocking the crap out of my CPU and Video Card once I have the appropriate heatsinks. Any suggestions on better RAM or MB are appreciated here. I thought the Asus P5Q-E would be a good choice over the pro for cooling reasons, as the overclock will create additional heat (MB budget can’t go over $180). I *really* want an Abit IP45 Pro… but god knows when that’s going to be released. As far as my RAM, I’ve heard good thinks about overclocking potential with G.skill, but I ultimately chose PC2 8500 so I could simply keep my CPU FSB at 444MHz (4.2GHz) without having to touch it, and then change the RAM/CPU ratio accordingly. So I guess the choice of that brand name is more for the ability to overclock if need be than anything. As for my videocard, the 4870 Black Edition has apparently been engineered to reach 950MHz/4.8GHz, and with a proper heat sink, I think that “guarantee” is worth the extra 40 dollars over the regular diamond 4870. As for the actual heatsink on my new 4870, I’m weary of the massive HR-03 GT and if it’ll fit with a TRUE120 in a relatively small case. What else…. Oh right! Any suggestions on a better power supply? I want something completely reliable with a long warranty, but I’m not willing to pay more than $120. I'd prefer it to be 700W+ for future proofing as well. How about case and heat sink fans… any better suggestions? Moniter suggestions? (Nothing over $300.), sound card suggestions? (nothing above $100). Anything helps!

Thanks for any suggestions in advance, as all opinions here are sincerely appreciated =).
Old July 25, 2008, 05:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Welcome! Salut! Looks pretty good to me, for GPU, I'd say stick with the stock cooler for now, until we can find a Arctic Cooling GPU cooler than will fit. I am not too sure if such a cooler exists yet. Other than that it looks good!!

I am Ninja

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.

Last edited by Cptn Vortex; July 25, 2008 at 05:59 PM.
Old July 25, 2008, 05:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Looks good. just be sure to look into pricematching at NCIX as well. They also have a 4.99 shipping deal right now.

You can get a silencer quad 750 for ~$100 at NCIX.

RAM: Ascent or Redline instead of the G-skill

Cooling: Add an extra 150 or so to the cost of that TRU and you can get a nice watercooling set put together for your GPU and cpu. An extra $30 will get you some decent RAM and mosfet sinks for that GPU but youll need some good airflow to make use of them. Aside from the HR-03GT I dont like th other aircooling options for gpus out there right now.

Just some thoughts.

EDIT: Oh vortex got there first

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old July 26, 2008, 09:33 AM
Rookie

Herm... you both seem to agree that GPU coolers are de suxorz right now =/. It's a shame that I can't viably use anything on the GPU without going all out on water cooling, which honestly seems like too much of a hassle and cash at the moment (Maybe I'm wrong about the hassle? They just look complex I guess =P). Assuming I wanted it, I'd be cutting it *really* close. With taxes, the build is $1900 right now... a water cooling unit would push me over my budget. But I'll take your suggestion magic, and double check these prices on NCIX anyway... maybe I can cut some corners and not blow all of my $2000 here.

Oh, and apparently I was too late for the $100 deal on that silencer quad? I checked the prices today, and they were back up to $155, with a $25 mail in rebate bringing it to $130. Argh! =/. However, that's still a very decent deal. I'll have to think about it =).

I'll also look into both ascent and redline RAM right now.
Old July 26, 2008, 09:58 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd go for two 640GB Western Digital drives. Best performance and cost per gigabyte.

Thermal compound, Arctic Cooling MX-2 is the best IMO.

Sound card, maybe an ASUS Xonar DX? Cheaper I believe and has pretty much the best sound quality. The Xonar D2X (I think?) is slightly better but costs a ton more.

PSU wise, another choice is the Corsair 750W.

I don't know if buying the XOC card is really worth it. Still uses the reference cooler and all but it just comes with a slight overclock. I think you'd be best off buying a normal one and just overclocking it yourself.

And make sure that Vista is x64/64bit.
Old July 26, 2008, 11:54 AM
Rookie

So I've changed a few things around now after some different suggestions. Following some good ol' google'ing, I found this review " http://hardwarelogic.com/news/137/AR...008-03-03.html " of some main stream thermal compounds. "OCZ FreeZe" came out on top with zero curing time and overall beter performance.

I changed my PSU to the Corsair 750W... that was an awesome reccomendation jdrom17. It's $10 less than the OCZ, and provides 50 more Watts of power that I'll probably never use. It's a better deal all the same, so I'm buying it .

As far as the XOC 4870, I'm not buying it for the actual overclock it comes with, but the promise of it being engineered by diamond to reach 950MHz/4800MHz given an appropriate heatsink. After lurking through some forums, I've read that many people are having trouble overclocking thier card above the 820's (Bios not unlocked and improper overclocking software support?). This gives me much more freedom for future overclocking, which as I've mentioned, I inted on doing quite heavily =).

And I double checked my Vista purchase... it's 64bit .
Old July 26, 2008, 10:28 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well as soon as somebody get's their hands on said Diamond XOC card, the BIOS will surely be dumped and uploaded on the Internet so I'd think pretty much any HD4870 could be flashed to it.

Glad to hear you're going with the Corsair as it's a much more stable PSU than the OCZ.