Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Router build critique (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/8790-router-build-critique.html)

Cheator July 24, 2008 09:47 AM

Router build critique

Hey guys.

I'm going to be building a low power router for my new house. Its going to be my bro and I plus a roomie, and all 3 of us will most likely be using the internet to the max.

Because of this, I want to have a decent router to handle:
  • DHCP Server
  • Torrents (I NEED the latest distros!)
  • IP Tables firewall
  • MLPPP connection
  • Major QoS for VoIP

For this task, I selected the recently released Atom (I can't wait for Bobcat). Here is my build:

I know Untangle's requirements are high, but I was under the impression the Atom would still function decently. Can anyone tell me otherwise? And do you think this would handle it well enough? I am fairly sure it will but other opinions are always good!

Tazer-[X] July 24, 2008 09:55 AM

Personally, I would go with a really old P1, or even a 486, and run OpenBSD. THats a real waste of money there. Not that I would have any Idea on what im talking about though, im not 12 on a pc LoL

Cheator July 24, 2008 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazer-[X] (Post 71934)
Personally, I would go with a really old P1, or even a 486, and run OpenBSD. THats a real waste of money there. Not that I would have any Idea on what im talking about though, im not 12 on a pc LoL

Well I am looking to make it as low powered as possible since we'll be paying the electric Bill. Plus I don't have an old rig like that.

CMetaphor July 24, 2008 10:04 AM

think that should be powerful enough, judging by the hardware requirements for untangle.... It may, in fact, be overkill. Maybe a VIA-based all in one system like the Artigo would be cheaper and more "router-like" for you?

Cheator July 24, 2008 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMetaphor (Post 71939)
think that should be powerful enough, judging by the hardware requirements for untangle.... It may, in fact, be overkill. Maybe a VIA-based all in one system like the Artigo would be cheaper and more "router-like" for you?

It looks nice but 300 bucks is more than I wanna spend. That, and it only has 1 lan port. Nice unit though.

Tazer-[X] July 24, 2008 01:13 PM

You can get 'old' hardware like im talking about. Its alver the place. Heck, buy it from the papers. You dont even need more than 8 bit. That means no fans, it can even be rin from a few mb.s of disk space.

Cheator July 24, 2008 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazer-[X] (Post 71990)
You can get 'old' hardware like im talking about. Its alver the place. Heck, buy it from the papers. You dont even need more than 8 bit. That means no fans, it can even be rin from a few mb.s of disk space.

It consumes much more power than the atom though.

JD July 24, 2008 01:36 PM

Are you doing a true MLPPP connection or just single link to avoid throttling? If so, do tell me how you get that setup on whatever OS. Right now I have pfsense running on my Sempron that I had kicking around and it seems to be working pretty decent but there's no official MLPPP for it and I know nothing about BSD.

Cheator July 24, 2008 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdrom17 (Post 71995)
Are you doing a true MLPPP connection or just single link to avoid throttling? If so, do tell me how you get that setup on whatever OS. Right now I have pfsense running on my Sempron that I had kicking around and it seems to be working pretty decent but there's no official MLPPP for it and I know nothing about BSD.

MLPPP is available for any distro.

I will be doing 1 connection at first, then maybe 2 eventually. the ISP I work for also might be installing a DSLAM near me and if so, I'll have 2 20 meg lines :clap: I hope :rofl:

Tazer-[X] July 24, 2008 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheator (Post 71991)
It consumes much more power than the atom though.

LoL, than why get pigeons to do all your transfers and squirells inspect all your messeges?

:clap: