Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Another new member with a new build (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/8752-another-new-member-new-build.html)

yamawho July 22, 2008 07:47 PM

Another new member with a new build

I joined yesterday after lurking for some time.
My son is away at camp and I decided to build him a new system for his birthday.
The system he is currently using has the following specs;
E4300 @ 2.4 ghz (266 fsb)
4CoreDualVSTA mobo
X1950 Pro agp
2 x 1GB Corsair DDR2 667
WD 500GB sata2
Ultra X connect 500 watt psu

My plan was to use the cpu and hdd and ordered the following from DC;
P5Q Pro, Diamond HD 4870 and use an OCZ GameXstream 600w that I already have.
While I was waiting for the parts to arrive, I noticed the Intel price cut and that DC has the E8500 for 199$ so I ordered it today. The memory will be 2 x 2GB Corsair DDR2 667.
I plan to install VISTA 64bit although I am aware that I may also need to install XP Pro as well if he can't play all his games. If this is the case I will install to another hdd and use the boot menu to select which hdd to boot from.

I was very glad to see ATI released the 8.7's today, I hope they work for me.

Ref Vista, do I need to manually install .net v2 or it the OS ready to install the cats ?

BALISTX July 22, 2008 07:53 PM

Sounds good, but need to know a couple of things, first. Do you plan on OCing the CPU, if so than the Corsiar-667 may not cut it. With the cost of DDR2 memory being cheap, if I may, I would recommend these

Mushkin XP PC2-8000 Redline 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-1000 CL5-5-5-12 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit - on sale till midnight tonight for $79.99 after $25 MIR @ NCIX

Since you are going to be installing a 64-bit version of Vista you will be able to utilize all 4GB, even if you went with a 32-bit OS it would still see 3.2-3.5GB of that 4GB of memory. with the DDR2-1000 it will allow you more OCing headroom if you decide to OC.

The rest of the rig looks good.

magictorch July 22, 2008 07:56 PM

Yes looks like a great build. I second getting the redline kit-how can they sell it for so little? such a nice kit.

BALISTX July 22, 2008 08:03 PM

They are a beautiful kit and the red heatspeader will go so nice with that red Diamond Radeon HD 4870

yamawho July 22, 2008 08:14 PM

At first I wasn't going to upgrade the mobo but the 4CoreDualVSTA has a 4x pcie slot and it's been a long time since I have played with some quality hardware.
I have never been much of an early adopter ...

When I purchased the Corsair last week, I was planning the use the E4300 and change the fsb from 200 to 266 and leave the memory at 667. I got it at FS online for 35$ a stick with 4$ shipping ... not too bad.

I will likely try and overclock it by relaxing the timings and increasing the ram voltage.
However, I have been burned several times in the past, spending $$$ on faster ram only to be rewarded by a few fps :blarg:

As it stands now I'm already over budget.

In time I may upgrade the memory and use the Corsair elsewhere.

BALISTX July 22, 2008 08:19 PM

I can attest that Mushkin memory are great OCers especially the redlines. All Mushkin memory I have, have OCed very well. There is no rush to buying the memory now

The corsairs I'm sure you can get some overclocking out of them.

SKYMTL July 22, 2008 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yamawho (Post 71343)
Ref Vista, do I need to manually install .net v2 or it the OS ready to install the cats ?

The .NET framework will install automatically with the drivers if you do the standard installation.

I will also HIGHLY recommend 4GB for Vista.

yamawho July 22, 2008 08:24 PM

Thanks Sky.

Is this only in Vista ?

encorp July 22, 2008 08:39 PM

Just another +1 for that Mushkin kit. I use em in my system below. Hope your son enjoys the computer!

yamawho July 22, 2008 08:47 PM

I hope his games run in Vista !

Don't have much experience with Vista yet.
I built my HTPC using Vista since I was not able to get sound out of the hdmi using XP Pro sp3.