Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 23, 2008, 05:00 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamawho View Post
I hope his games run in Vista !

Don't have much experience with Vista yet.
I built my HTPC using Vista since I was not able to get sound out of the hdmi using XP Pro sp3.
Well, nice to see another Montrealer.

Anyways, first of all I have no idea about the XP installer but I would guess it has the .NET framework but if not it is a quick download. I would recommend downloading the newest version for BOTH XP and Vista after you before you updating all your programs. If memory serves me correct, the dirver pagkage also has the C++ redistributable files as well.

As for Vista, I don't use anything but. You see, I have a major issue with long load times and I can't stand the amount of time a full install of XP takes to boot up. So, I have had nothing but great experiences with Vista along the way (well, maybe the odd BSOD because of Nvidia's POS drivers).
Old July 23, 2008, 05:11 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Well, nice to see another Montrealer.

I have been more interested in Linux distro's over the last year, mainly Linux Mint, Ubuntu and Mandriva. I haven't kept to speed on Vista except for all the bad press I've been reading. Anyway, haven't used it much but it sure looks nice.
Old July 23, 2008, 06:58 AM
Allstar

Wow ... the e8500 arrived today

I ordered it yesterday, direct canada rocks
Old July 24, 2008, 08:19 PM
Allstar

With the remaining parts arriving this morning, all systems were go for the build.
It’s been quite a while since I put together a decent gaming rig using current components and I must admit to thoroughly enjoying myself.

First impressions on components:

The E8500 looked like any other 775 cpu but the stock HSF is a half size similar to the one that comes with the Celeron 4xx series.

The Diamond HD 4870 is a beast! It’s about 1 ½” thick and you really feel the weight.
This is my 1st dual slot video card and after hearing about how hot the card runs, I really wanted the hot air to be exhausted directly out of the case.

Asus P5Q Pro motherboard is a nice piece of work. I like the black pcb and the onboard cooling. I also liked the padding on the back plate … sure beats fighting with the tabs trying to install the mobo in the case. On my last build I had finished putting together my HTPC and tried to get the HDMI connector without success … the tab was blocking the port. Anyways, the mounting holes have little raised points which help lock in the screw during assembly, very nice detail. The quick connect block provided is handy but the usb and firewire ones make the job much easier if your case has single wires to the front panel.

System specs:

CPU: Intel E8500
Mobo: Asus P5Q Pro
Video card: Diamond HD 4870
Memory: Corsair value ram 2 x 2GB DDR2 667
HDD: WD 500GB Sata2
PSU: OCZ GameXstream 600 watt
Fan controller: Sunbeam 4 channel / 4 80mm case fans on two channels

I found the video card to be idling in the upper 70’s C. I did play around with the soft mod to adjust the fan speed. At first I set it the 65% … much too loud. I made another profile and set it at 45% and it idles at around 36C, much better but still loud. Besides flashing the bios to correct the fan issue, I hope ATI comes up with a better fix.

Here are a few pics …
Attached Images

Last edited by yamawho; July 24, 2008 at 08:27 PM.
Old July 24, 2008, 09:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Very nice rig you put together there. Looks great. I'm sure when you son gets home he will be very very impressed.

Wanna adopt me LOL

Next Build: E5200 @ 3.6GHz (333x11) | Xigmatek HDT-RS1283 HSF | Biostar TP43D2-A7 | Mushkin Redlines DDR2-1000 @ DDR2-999 5-5-5-12
EVGA 9600 GT 512MB - 650MHz - 1800MHz - 1626MHz | Seagate 'Cuda 250GB 7200rpm SATA2 | Corsair VX550 | CM690 - Custom Atomic Orange Pearl

[Heatware]
[eBay]
[Rosetta]
BALISTX.com
Old July 25, 2008, 06:32 AM
Allstar

Thanks

Been using the same Antec case for the last 5 years, just a respray now and then.

Although I built my HTPC using VISTA last month, I really don't know much about this OS.
Old July 25, 2008, 06:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

It does take some getting use to. I have it on my laptop and the more I've used the more I like it. I turned off all the "helpful" stuff. I'm thinking about getting home premium for my other rig.

Next Build: E5200 @ 3.6GHz (333x11) | Xigmatek HDT-RS1283 HSF | Biostar TP43D2-A7 | Mushkin Redlines DDR2-1000 @ DDR2-999 5-5-5-12
EVGA 9600 GT 512MB - 650MHz - 1800MHz - 1626MHz | Seagate 'Cuda 250GB 7200rpm SATA2 | Corsair VX550 | CM690 - Custom Atomic Orange Pearl

[Heatware]
[eBay]
[Rosetta]
BALISTX.com
Old July 25, 2008, 07:18 AM
Allstar

Sounds like a rockin father to me:xD Its just to bad, that whenI was a kid, my gaming 'rig' was atari 1040 LoL
Old July 25, 2008, 07:35 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

NICE!! I would have liked to have seen 4GB of ram but that ASUS case badge more than makes up for it!! ;)
Old July 25, 2008, 07:47 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
NICE!! I would have liked to have seen 4GB of ram but that ASUS case badge more than makes up for it!! ;)
Memory: Corsair value ram 2 x 2GB DDR2 667