Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 17, 2008, 07:51 AM
Allstar
F@H

Default New Gaming Build (not mine)

Luckily for him - money isn't too big a deal.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Quad Core Processor LGA775 2.66Ghz 12MB
Scythe Ninja 2 Heatsink
Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1333
Samsung SH-S223F Black SATA DVD+RW
Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120MM Cooling Fan
Samsung Spinpoint F1 Series HD103UJ 1TB x2
Gigabyte GA-EP45T-DS3R P45 DDR3OC 2PCI-E
Corsair CMPSU-620HX 620W
Diamond Radeon HD 4870 512MB x2
Antec P182
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition 64BIT

Any recommendations? Changes? I'm torn between DDR2 w/ 8GB or DDR3 w/ 4GB
And I might need a higher rated PSU for the 2 4870's. We'll see how this goes.
NCIX also isn't stocking the P182SE anymore

Last edited by misterd; July 17, 2008 at 07:57 AM.
Old July 17, 2008, 08:56 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd step up that PSU to at least 850W+. Quad-core, dual HD4870s is quite a bit of load.

For the heatsink, I think it would be better to get one of the HDT ones like that Xigmatek that was reviewed here.

I'd go with a Pioneer DVD-RW.

I don't think DDR3 is really worth it right now as it doesn't really offer much over DDR2. Might as well go with DDR2-8000/8500. Highly doubt he needs 8GB though but whatever.

And if money is of no concern, get the Maximus II Formula. That's a kick ass looking board.
Old July 17, 2008, 12:52 PM
Allstar
F@H

Pretty good build. I agree about using a HDT heatsink instead of the Scythe Ninja. If money is not a big concern I'd stick with 4GB of of DDR3, but if you want to save a bit I'd say just get 4GB of DDR2-8500 or 8000. 8GB is overkill unless this person is going to be doing lots of video editing/Autocad/etc. That PSU would probably run it, but barely so it would likely prevent much overclocking. It would definitely be worth stepping it up to something a bit more powerful, maybe not quite to 850W+, but at least to a decent 750W.
Old July 17, 2008, 01:09 PM
Rookie

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Quad Core Processor LGA775 2.66Ghz 12MB
I would go E8400 w/ water.

Scythe Ninja 2 Heatsink
Water.

Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1333
DDR3 simply isn't worth it. IIRC DDR3-1600 is about equivalent to either DDR2-800 or DDR2-1066.

Samsung SH-S223F Black SATA DVD+RW
Get a Pioneer.

Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120MM Cooling Fan
Real men only use Deltas.

Samsung Spinpoint F1 Series HD103UJ 1TB x2
I would RAID a bunch of smaller drives.

Gigabyte GA-EP45T-DS3R P45 DDR3OC 2PCI-E
If your going CF I would get a X48 board.

Corsair CMPSU-620HX 620W
I would recommend a Silverstone Decathlon 750W.

Diamond Radeon HD 4870 512MB x2
Sure, why not.

Antec P182
I would pick a Twelve Hundred, but that's just me.

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition 64BIT
I hate Vista with a passion, but that's just me.
Old July 17, 2008, 02:10 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I second or third the notion of a different PSU and mobo, X48/X38 is the way to go imo.

As for the ram, if money isn't an issue, why not get ddr3, it will work with the newer chipsets as they come out, which is always nice.

Other than that, nice case and nice quiet fans, might consider a fan controller to ramp them down a bit as needed.
Old July 17, 2008, 03:31 PM
Allstar
F@H

I'm not going to water cool a rig that I don't see at least once a month. The samsung optical drives are quiet. My only reason for choosing it. LOL @ Delta - again quiet is also a concern. I'm just going to get the biggest (haven't seen the 1.5TB for sale anywhere) drives possible. The board is up for debate - DDR3 for future proofing. X48 hasn't impressed me that much, PCI-E 2.0 8x lanes aren't going to be bottlenecked on the P45's. I chose the Corsair because it's modular and quiet - yes it might be loaded with all that, but that's where it's the most efficient @ 80% + load. I'm not a fan of the Antec gaming cases, way too much bling that's personal though. Vista - again not for me. 64bit to use all that RAM & play games without Windows emulation.

I'm not bashing suggestions - just sway me with some reasons. Find me a quality PSU that is 620W-750W and is quiet + efficient and i'm sold... Needs for the motherboard are CF and overclockablility, although i'm not going to be breaking records with it 3-3.5Ghz is all I would probably do for a system that I don't get to babysit. Slightly off topic - isn't anyone else into silent computing? I also may swap the Patriot for some Mushkin Ascent 2x2GB DDR3 after reading the review

Last edited by misterd; July 17, 2008 at 06:34 PM.
Old July 17, 2008, 07:02 PM
Rookie

Seagate is rolling out some 1.5Tb drives sometime this year. None are on the market yet.

For that kind of price I feel some W/C should be done.

Your future proofing till IIRC October this year. Once Nehalem (specifically Bloomfield) comes out we're going to see tri and from what I've heard quad channel DDR3 will come out sometime 2010 (along w/ Westmere).

Yes PCI-E 2.0 x8 is equivalent to a first gen PCI-E x16 slot, but no card can saturate that bus yet. There are some benchmarks floating around somewhere that supports this.

A $150 PC2-8500 kit will beat DDR3-1333 kits. If I were you I would go that route and put the money you save towards a X48 board.

Who says Pioneers aren't quiet too?

You won't have the "bling" problem with Antec gaming cases if you swap all the fans with Deltas

Silverstone Decathlon 750W or 850W.
Old July 17, 2008, 08:13 PM
Allstar
F@H

For the PSU, I recommend the PC Power & Cooling 750W Silencer. It lives up to its name. Its very efficienty (>80%) and is extremely quiet. Other than that I'd still recommend a different heatsink, looks good overall though. And a word on the Deltas, the low speed three blade Deltas are around 34dba which isn't too bad plus with a fan controller they can be brough down nice and quiet.
Old July 18, 2008, 06:58 AM
Allstar
F@H

Open for motherboard suggestions, just wasn't blown away by any of the X48's at the time other then price. Requirements are Crossfire + slight overclocking. As for fans... 34dba wow - I try and look for fans with dba in the high teens or very low 20's - And my beef with the PC P&C Silencer is the 80mm fan in it. If it's still ultra quiet.. then it may be up for consideration as well. Wasn't debating the quietness of Pioneers - haven't heard anything about them really. Have never read a review on any of the Decathlon PSU's gonna check them out - thanks.

Old July 18, 2008, 08:58 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

The Decathalon is an excellent line of PSUs, as to the subject of deltas....he wants quiet, I'd say just buy some S-Flex fans or somesuch and be done with it, they're quiet and reliable.

The Silencer is ALSO a great psu.

A TRUE wouldn't go amiss for your heatsink, unless someone has trumped the TRUE while I wasn't watching.