Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old July 16, 2008, 11:30 PM
1Tanker's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Companion_Cube View Post
The case , although I would recommend a Twelve Hundred as it's a little more "refined".

nVidia is letting ATI use PhysX because if ATI only used Havok and nVidia only used PhysX it would sort suck.

Pioneer optical drives have lower relative failure rates.

The WD 640Gb has denser platters, I've been told 15% preformance increase, with a budget of $100 I would go buy a Intel board with a ICH9 or ICH10 SB w/ two
Ooops.. i missed that the first time, sorry. Yeah, i have the 640AAKS, and it's a beast...i love it. I had a Sony DVD-Burner for a few years.. no problems whatsoever(it's in my basement PC now). I have a Samsung SH-S203B now...i only switched to it for SATA, and it works great too. My case is the CM690..great budget case... lots of room, cheap as spit, and well setup for cooling..i chose it over the 900(i'm not impressed with the 900's looks).
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old July 17, 2008, 12:06 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Burnaby, BC
Posts: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_di2 View Post
I do plan to go SLI at some point (that why I chose that motherboard), and the GTX 260
HD4870s generally preform better than GTX 260s plus CF is more scalable and doesn't require a nVidia chipset. HD4870s also support Havok and will support PhysX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_di2 View Post
I'm not going to OC the ram though, but if I upgrade my ram in the future I'll probably choose one of those more expensive ones.
When/If you upgrade your RAM you'll probably be going to trichannel DDR3.

XP Pro
Wouldn't use Pro don't see a reason to use it at home.
XP 64
Focus switching to V64 bit Vista, less and less driver support, not recommended.
Vista 64
Eww, Vista.

XP Home FTW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_di2 View Post
The only reason I am thinking Vista is because I want to actually be able to use 4gb of ram instead of 3.2... but then there are the Vista issues... expecially with certain games not even working in Vista.
Do you even use 3.2Gb of RAM?
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old July 17, 2008, 07:44 AM
ChuckleBrother's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 571

My System Specs

Default

While Companion Cube is right on a lot of the other suggests, he's being a bit of a fanboy regarding the OS. Please don't take offense, but its only fair to present a valid arguement, not "XP Home FTW".

I run Vista 64 on this machine, my main gaming machine and it runs just fine. I haven't had a driver related crash on this installation, and its been up and running for about 2 months now. I'd peg the stability of Vista right up there with XP, so if it comes down to price....

XP Pro: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...ture=Microsoft

Vista 64: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...ture=Microsoft

I've heard bad things about XP 64 and driver support, you'd need to ask someone with experience.

At any rate, looks like a nice build, and I can tell you that case is fairly okay to use, its nice and cool.
__________________
"...you play a mean banjo"
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old July 17, 2008, 07:52 AM
JD's Avatar
JD JD is offline
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 6,917

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckleBrother View Post
While Companion Cube is right on a lot of the other suggests, he's being a bit of a fanboy regarding the OS. Please don't take offense, but its only fair to present a valid arguement, not "XP Home FTW".

I run Vista 64 on this machine, my main gaming machine and it runs just fine. I haven't had a driver related crash on this installation, and its been up and running for about 2 months now. I'd peg the stability of Vista right up there with XP, so if it comes down to price....

XP Pro: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...ture=Microsoft

Vista 64: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...ture=Microsoft

I've heard bad things about XP 64 and driver support, you'd need to ask someone with experience.

At any rate, looks like a nice build, and I can tell you that case is fairly okay to use, its nice and cool.
Yup same here, though I've been using Vista since release so I've been though all the BS of stuff not working, poor performance, etc. It's all be improved vastly though so you shouldn't really have many issues at this point in time. Only real hardware issues might be your peripherals (webcam, scanner, printer etc).
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old July 17, 2008, 08:32 AM
1Tanker's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckleBrother View Post
While Companion Cube is right on a lot of the other suggests, he's being a bit of a fanboy regarding the OS. Please don't take offense, but its only fair to present a valid arguement, not "XP Home FTW".

I run Vista 64 on this machine, my main gaming machine and it runs just fine. I haven't had a driver related crash on this installation, and its been up and running for about 2 months now. I'd peg the stability of Vista right up there with XP, so if it comes down to price....

XP Pro: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...ture=Microsoft

Vista 64: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...ture=Microsoft

I've heard bad things about XP 64 and driver support, you'd need to ask someone with experience.

At any rate, looks like a nice build, and I can tell you that case is fairly okay to use, its nice and cool.
Same here.. i've heard it's best to stay away from XP-64.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old July 17, 2008, 11:29 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Burnaby, BC
Posts: 48
Default

I put Vista on one of my systems and for a while I got BSOD'd at least once or twice a month then I had problems with my G15 and now every once in a while it freezes up and then beeps a few times. Vista sucks.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old July 17, 2008, 01:05 PM
ChuckleBrother's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 571

My System Specs

Default

Vista has its moments, it doesn't work perfectly on every platform, and even if it does, you have to play around sometimes and find the driver versions that work properly. Your experience isn't going to be everyones.

When I had my old computer I ran XP Pro, it would crash on me upwards of 2-4 times a WEEK, the same system enjoyed 4 months of constant operation without a shutdown or reboot on Vista Home Premium. My point here being that something that works fine for one machine won't on another, you have to tinker, and not just blame the operating system.


My recommendation to the guy putting his sytem together, get a copy of Vista 64, install it in trial mode and run it for the 30 days, if it works fine, then go out, buy a copy, activate it and be merry. If you find it has issues, roll back to XP, no harm no foul. But if you really want to make full use of all your RAM, Vista is the only way to go.
__________________
"...you play a mean banjo"
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old July 17, 2008, 06:24 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Burnaby, BC
Posts: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckleBrother View Post
My recommendation to the guy putting his sytem together, get a copy of Vista 64, install it in trial mode and run it for the 30 days, if it works fine, then go out, buy a copy, activate it and be merry. If you find it has issues, roll back to XP, no harm no foul. But if you really want to make full use of all your RAM, Vista is the only way to go.
Buy Vista Ultimate or Business and once you find out it's a piece of you can upgrade to XP
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old July 17, 2008, 07:14 PM
Jon_di2's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 895
Default

I’ve used Vista and I don’t think its so bad, yes it does have some issues but depending on what hardware you have and what you use it for, you might never come across any of these issues… then it would seem like a great OS. When I tried it, it was still in Beta, and not all of my hardware was supported… so that was a big issue for me. But it does seem like it is getting much better.

My main issue with Vista is that they, again did not make it backward compatible… and I say again because this was a big fault with XP. They knew that people wanted it to be backward compatible… did they fix this… no, in fact Vista is much worse when it comes to backwards compatibility.

Is Vista better or worse then XP in the long run though… well I think this is a loaded question because it depends on many factors… So long as Vista 64 supports everything I want to use it for, I think it might be a better OS, especially since XP 64 is being abandoned. Also Vista supports DX10…. And with Microsoft really wanting to sell this product they invested so much time in, I think they are going to support it better.

However with XP, we know that everything I want to do with it is going to work. And that alone might be reason to stick with XP… at least for now.

But I think there are obvious reasons to go with Vista 64 instead of XP.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old July 17, 2008, 07:19 PM
Jon_di2's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 895
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Yup same here, though I've been using Vista since release so I've been though all the BS of stuff not working, poor performance, etc. It's all be improved vastly though so you shouldn't really have many issues at this point in time. Only real hardware issues might be your peripherals (webcam, scanner, printer etc).
Haha you have to love how Vista is cheaper... although you really should compare the vista home, to the XP home, and XP is $30 cheaper in that instance. But only $30 more for a 64 bit edition of a product that is about 5 years newer... at least Microsoft knows that no one wants Vista.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes