Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 8, 2008, 07:58 PM
Rookie

Default Need suggestions for system upgrade

Well, pretty much new. I'm almost convinced there is something wrong with this mobo, but I've had it for probably two years now so meh. I'm about 73% sure I'll start syphoning off funds into my PayPal account in the coming weeks. Any help with putting together a system would be cool beans.

I'll post a Before and then a Potential After, I guess.

Nowie:
800W SilverStone Strider PSU (Keep)
Two DVD drives (I'll probably replace the oldest)
160Gb (OS + programs) and 250GB (torrents) hard drives, both PATA (Go)
2x1GB DDR RAM (Go)
HD 2900XT (Undecided)
AMD FX-60 (go)
DFI RDX200 (?) mobo (Go)
Cooling is a Reserator 2 kit. (Go)

Planned (feel free to change anything): I'll need two hard drives, RAM, a mobo, cooling and a CPU.
ASUS M3A32-MVP Deluxe (although dual Ethernet would be more convenient, if anybody knows of a unit with that feature)
1 small-ish HD for the OS and programs, one large for downloads and Futurama back ups. (or possibly just one with two partitions)
AMD Phenom X4 9850 (possibly wait for the 45nm ones?)
Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500 DDR2 2GB 2X1GB
Diamond Radeon HD 4850 512MB
(possibly x2)
And it'll all go into an Antec P182.
Cooling? Most likely air.

Like I said, change anything you want. I'm really looking for help on this one as I'd like to spend as little as possible while still playing games at a mid-high level.

Thanks.
-Mini-Me
Old July 8, 2008, 08:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

Are you determined to stay with an AMD system? Once you change out the motherboard, you're basically working on a blank slate, so now's the time to change camps if you're considering. I mention this because when it comes to cheap overclocking, Intel's pretty hard to beat, and even their cheap motherboards hold up nicely. But setting aside that prospect...

Depending on how high you've got that FX-60 clocked, I don't know that I'd expect much gaming improvement with the X4 9850. Just like with the dual vs Quad question for Intel, 9 out of 10 games benefit more from a faster clocked dual-core than a slower quad. You might want to consider sticking it into the new mobo until some 45nm stuff comes along. A heatsink like the Noctua NH-U12P will do a good job, make very little noise, and accommodate a second fan.

You might consider a 4GB kit of RAM, considering the prices these days. Depends partly on what OS you're going to run, I suppose.
Old July 8, 2008, 09:15 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Go with something along the lines of this:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
Motherboard: ASUS P5Q-E or Deluxe or Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R
RAM: 2x2GB DDR2-8000/8500 Mushkin/Corsair/OCZ/G.SKILL
Video card: HD4870
Cooling: Xigmatek HDT-S1283 or Sunbeam Core Contact
Hard Drives: Perhaps dual Western Digital 640GB drives. 1 for OS/Apps and 1 for storage.

That'll surely play games at medium settings though more likely high settings depending on your screen resolution.

AMD really isn't a wise choice at this point in time.
Old July 9, 2008, 09:54 AM
Rookie

The FX60 is still at 2.6 (stock). I can't get it any higher than 2.8 stable. It won't post if I try 3.0. I'm not sticking to AMD/ATI anymore. Too many stupid biased purchases by me.

That looks pretty good jdrom. Still don't know if this one can hold out (another crash during this message (gotta love Firefox and it's textbox saving ass) and my largest hard drive won't stop whining) until there are some numbers for the 45nm Phenoms, so I may start picking up the transferable pieces until then. Or maybe I'll be sad one day and make myself happy, who knows?

Resolution is 1680*1050 if it still matters.

Thanks for the help guys.
-Mini
Old July 9, 2008, 10:03 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Avoid the ballistix until we start seeing some good news about them on the `net.

Folks have been having major issues with them, and they don't all appear to be related to P35 chipsets.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old July 9, 2008, 10:34 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Avoid the ballistix until we start seeing some good news about them on the `net.

Folks have been having major issues with them, and they don't all appear to be related to P35 chipsets.
What's wrong with them? I happen to have both the p5k premium + crucial d9's + q6600 @ 3.4 (i did have to RMA one set of Ballistix but that could be from anything) Oh yeah sswilson nice to see a fellow 902'er here :D

Old July 9, 2008, 11:54 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Yea i didn't think anybody was from Nova scotia or this forum....