Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 7, 2008, 08:59 PM
Top Prospect

Default wow!!!!

I've never been on a board, where the help came so fast I can barely keep up :)

I think I'm almost there.....

as for building it myself... I don't think so. I once went to add a card, the instructions seemed pretty straight forward, but when I took the back off the rig, I almost shat myself at the mess inside. .... I think the build would frustrate me to no end, especially when most places charge like $50 to do it for ya.

I'm trying to get everyone's suggestions here, some things are new to me. For Instance, I never really knew that the brand or type of RAM could make a difference.

Any way, take a look at this .xl and see what you think.

Oh, and how do you do the "price match" thing at NCIX? I could not find it

oh, and I'll prob just get one 4870 card for now..
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip COMPUTER.zip (3.6 KB, 1 views)
Old July 7, 2008, 09:39 PM
F@H

My System Specs

2 things.

Use the HWC Price compare (banner at top of page) to search all of Canada for the items. Add to cart at NCIX, hit Pricematch button at bottom of page while in cart, type in price and url. I saved $65 Friday by this little exercise.

Use the NCIX sale specials, there's a banner at the top of their home page. For instance, the P5Q-Pro is on for 138.88 and includes free ground shipping for the entire order. And the Antec 900 is on for 98.99 but you can pricematch it down to 91.82 from TDdirect.

OK, 3 things.

If you want, NCIX will assemble all your parts and install your OS for $50. It comes up on the cart once you have enough parts in it. That should guarantee you everything will show up working.

Edit: I just searched the E8400, found it for $189.
Old July 7, 2008, 10:46 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Canada Computers only charges $30 for assembly, plus $20 for a 1 year warranty or OS installation. However as much as I'd recommend CC, I don't know how well they put computers together. For us people on here, we have some pretty high standards and I doubt they live up to such. It'll work fine, but I doubt they do decent cable management or anything. No idea how NCIX does things either...

Oh and since your not overclocking, you'd be fine with DDR2-800 so disregard my post about that. You'd be fine with these: Mushkin HP2 6400 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800 5-4-4-12 (1.8V) 240pins (996587) or similar 2x2GB DDR2-800 kits.

You could also do with the Xonar DX if you want to save some coin though it lacks some of the features.

I'd grab another 120mm fan to put in the side panel as well since it helps keep the GPU temps lower. This is a good, quiet fan: Scythe S-Flex 120mm (1200rpm) FDB Bearing Chassis Fan (SFF21E).
Old July 8, 2008, 07:16 AM
Top Prospect

Default almost done

OK, here's what I think is the final config. Please let me know if you see anything amiss. I want to pull the trigger today.
Attached Images

Old July 8, 2008, 07:37 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Looks good to me, but it's basically everything I've recommended so I'd wait for some other people's thoughts.

Any reason why you're still pricing 2 HD4870s? I thought you were just going to get 1?
Old July 8, 2008, 09:12 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Looks good to me.
Old July 8, 2008, 09:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I definitely also think you should consider building it yourself. At the very least least let someone assemble and test it and then down the road remove and reinstall components to get a feel for it. Things like seating the heatsink with good paste are a must-as is cable management. NCIX also assembles your system for about $30 too.

Your components look good although given that RAM is $100 I would spend a few dollars more on the 2x2gb redline kit. It will run 800mhz with much better timings. The boards bios you have is oc freindly so it wont hurt to leave things on auto and bump the FSB a bit for a performance boost in games.
That aside nice rig

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old July 8, 2008, 10:20 AM
Top Prospect

well, I kept the two 4870 cards because I figure since my current monitor can do 2048 x 1536, (and you never know what I might want next year) I'll get some more azzkickin' with the 2. Plus, as noted, I'm not a do it your self guy, and I know I would want to crossfire down the road, so instead of having some yob do it for me next year, I figured I'd just do it now. Basically, I want this rig to last as long as it can. What can I say, I'm just used to paying $600 for a 3D card ;)

Anyway, the trigger has been pulled, the order is in process, I thank you all for your help, and I'll let ya know how it performs once I get it.

Last edited by Urotsukidoji; July 8, 2008 at 05:42 PM.
Old July 8, 2008, 01:31 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Good luck

Did you go with CC or NCIX?
Old July 8, 2008, 03:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Yea thats definitely going to be a nice system!!

I had my doubts over a year ago about building my own system after my emachine systems psu blew taking the MB and cpu with it. I took the new system to a store to put in some of the bits I'd gathered on the web, was ok- but they didn't do it that well either. Then I just added the hard-drive, gpu, and DVD writer.

After a bit of experimenting putting in a GPU, replacing the heatsink, switching hard drives, psu etc it really wasnt that bad. The only thing thats a pain is troubleshooting if something is faulty, but Id rather do that with my own system than let someone in future shop or some other store do it now.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.