Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   gaming system (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/8239-gaming-system.html)

WolfBane June 28, 2008 01:52 PM

gaming system

1st i want to say hi to all and its a pleasure to meet all of you and hopefully learn from all of you :)

My ? is what can i get for 2000 cdn ?
as in a good gaming system ?
I have a monitor and mouse and keyboard, headphones .
What i am looking at is having 2 4870 vid cards and water cooled !!!
I don't know what water cooler system to get but i know i want the crossfire 4870s and at least 4 gig of ram , i have windows 64 new in a box but i am waiting till i build my system from ncix ! I guess:) Again thankyou for your time in helping me and i look forward to getting to know alot of you :)

Jack Rabbit June 28, 2008 02:05 PM

Have you built a computer before? If not you should probably stick to air for the first build. Go to water in a couple weeks/months if everything goes fine.

For two grand you can pretty much max out a gaming system these days.

What about OS? Do you need to buy a new one or do you have one you like?

Ogdin June 28, 2008 03:16 PM

What size is your monitor?

3.0charlie June 28, 2008 03:22 PM

You should find yourself someone with building experience to help you build that 1st rig. 'cause with 2grand, it's Heaven for a gaming rig and a builder.

WolfBane June 28, 2008 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit (Post 65012)
Have you built a computer before? If not you should probably stick to air for the first build. Go to water in a couple weeks/months if everything goes fine.

For two grand you can pretty much max out a gaming system these days.

What about OS? Do you need to buy a new one or do you have one you like?

Hey Jack Rabbit good to meet you and thank you for replying to my ?'s
Well i have never built a rig yet , thats to say i understand a little bit about vid cards and ram and such but to be honest , I am a noob lol
As for my OS i have vista 64 bit sitting on a shelf unopened.
I will heed your advice and start with air cooling then , as time goes on i will have another 1500 to throw into this system cpl hundred here and there.
So with you guys and gals i hope to really have a killer system that i can play some dx 10 games on with some good sound

fawconpunch June 28, 2008 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfBane (Post 65029)
Well i have never built a rig yet , thats to say i understand a little bit about vid cards and ram and such but to be honest , I am a noob lol
I will heed your advice and start with air cooling then , as time goes on i will have another 1500 to throw into this system cpl hundred here and there.
So with you guys and gals i hope to really have a killer system that i can play some dx 10 games on with some good sound

With 2000$, you'll be able to all right.

enaberif June 28, 2008 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfBane (Post 65029)

At this point in time for a gaming machine your still technically better off with Windows XP 32bit than 64bit.

You have to remember games are 32bit which means they are limited to the 2gb address space of applications.

WolfBane June 28, 2008 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogdin (Post 65024)
What size is your monitor?

Hey Ogdin also a pleasure to meet you :)
right now i have a ViewSonic VA1926w .
Is this an ok lcd monitor?
Down the road i will have 2-30 inch lcd monitors hooked to this system :)

lol I guess they make monitors 30 inchs ???? dunno :)

WolfBane June 28, 2008 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3.0charlie (Post 65025)
You should find yourself someone with building experience to help you build that 1st rig. 'cause with 2grand, it's Heaven for a gaming rig and a builder.

3.0Charlie Also good to meet you !!!1
As for finding a person with building experiance , Thats gonna be a tuff one !!! Asi live out in the country in the Maritimes and nearest Mcdonalds is an hour drive away lol so i don't have anyone around me that i know of:(
That being said i am a master mechanic for a large company and i am good with tools and my hands lol but you are right i am a noob when it comes to building computers .
I am hoping with your guys help i may be able to buy the right parts from ncix and build a killer rig ?
Again i really appreciate any help you guys can give me in my endevors to have a system that you guys would even be proud of:) lol

enaberif June 28, 2008 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfBane (Post 65034)
Hey Ogdin also a pleasure to meet you :)
right now i have a ViewSonic VA1926w .
Is this an ok lcd monitor?
Down the road i will have 2-30 inch lcd monitors hooked to this system :)

lol I guess they make monitors 30 inchs ???? dunno :)

2x30?

Waste of desktop space. Either buy yourself a nice 22" or 24" and call it a day. But make sure your ok with it because I tried a 24" monitor and it gave me bad headaches.